Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 31st October 2012, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Default Gypsy suspension overhaul

Planning to take my Gypsy in for a suspension checkup/overhaul this weekend.

one problem I notice after my last toppling (see here (Gypsy steering locked on the move, and toppled)) is that the suspension on the front-left seems "compressed" for some reason. I put the gypsy on a flat road to confirm the suspicion and yes: the suspension on the front-left is more daba-hua than the others.

Would appreciate help from fellow bhpians to prepare a sort of checklist of things to do/check.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 11:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy suspension overhaul

This could be a lot of things. A lot of EXPENSIVE things. So first go under there yourself and slowly and carefully look for bent and broken components.

If you have a bad left shock absorber it will look more compressed than the right one on level ground. Many people replace both when one side goes bad so as to assure the same rebound rate. Rebound rates tend to change over time due to wear.

Take a good look at both leaf springs, too. Shocks and springs are the likeliest and cheapest suspects judging from what you have told us. Another thing that comes to mind since you have toppled it is possibly a broken body mount or two, broken when all that weight went on the body.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 11:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Gypsy is one of the simplest and cheapest to repair when it comes to suspension. Rule out any chassis wrap (wrt tilt), if not just remove everything and re-assemble. You can re-camber or replace the leaf springs, suspension bushes always replace and the shocks, if they are shot buy a new one. I guess that's it, suspension wise. Would be a good idea to check the steering system also.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2012, 12:12   #4
BHPian

I agree with Jaggu. The leaf springs and the stock shocks are not expensive.
It is less than 5K for both the leaf springs and the shocks together.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Hi guys....can anyone tell me where I could obtain some leaf springs with positive camber under normal load conditions..1.5-2" of lift would suffice..Someone here had suggested Tiger leaf springs but I cant seem to find a dealer / contact person for these...anyone have an idea?
Bump-Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 11:04   #6
BHPian

Why not just recamber the leaf springs. Be carefull that re cambering is done on a press, and not by hammering. Leaf springs are replaced, only if broken , or if the start loosing their camber within a short period.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Why not just recamber the leaf springs. Be carefull that re cambering is done on a press, and not by hammering. Leaf springs are replaced, only if broken , or if the start loosing their camber within a short period.

Rahul
Rahul, I did consider re cambering but I hear even mechanicalyl recambered springs loose their properties, unless they are annealed. Also lifted springs should be slightly longer than stock to maintain a good shackle angle , thus preventing the hasrsher,stiffer ride that results after a spring lift.

Brgds
Ronnie.
Old 28th February 2016, 12:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Hi guys....can anyone tell me where I could obtain some leaf springs with positive camber under normal load conditions..1.5-2" of lift would suffice..Someone here had suggested Tiger leaf springs but I cant seem to find a dealer / contact person for these...anyone have an idea?
You can check with iron man suspension, they have a decent review with their 1.5 to 2" lifts for gypsy's.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 13:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can check with iron man suspension, they have a decent review with their 1.5 to 2" lifts for gypsy's.
Thanks Jaggu....Ironman/ OME upgrade is on the cards but will wait a while before I go in for this, as it is an expensive option. Meanwhile I was wondering if a more localised ( read Indian) option exists.....what about using the rear stock leafs up front? Would that produce the desired effect?

Brdgs
Ronnie.
Old 29th February 2016, 11:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what about using the rear stock leafs up front? Would that produce the desired effect?

Brdgs
Ronnie.
I don't think that is the right option, and it will flatten out due to heavier front end even if you manage to fit it. Easiest indian option would be to add a helper leaf in front to get the desired camber. But will make it stiff.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 06:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu....Ironman/ OME upgrade is on the cards but will wait a while before I go in for this, as it is an expensive option. Meanwhile I was wondering if a more localised ( read Indian) option exists.....what about using the rear stock leafs up front? Would that produce the desired effect?

Brdgs
Ronnie.
Try a helper leaf in front. That should help in getting (retaining) some +ve camber.

Using Rear Leafs Up Front is not feasible without modifications to shackle mount points. They are longer, hence the centering (of the leaf to axle) also goes for a toss with current shackle mount points.

Another option is to use Composite Fiber Leafs. Haven't seen them for years now and am slightly out of touch with their development but the last I heard was that they are now more reliable in the front (In rear they were anyway ok).

So, your options in terms of cost / complexity are:

Cheapest & easiest: Helper leaf (if need use 3/4th & 1/2)
Complex: Rear Leafs in Front
Easy but Expensive: CFL
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Try a helper leaf in front. That should help in getting (retaining) some +ve camber.

Using Rear Leafs Up Front is not feasible without modifications to shackle mount points. They are longer, hence the centering (of the leaf to axle) also goes for a toss with current shackle mount points.

Another option is to use Composite Fiber Leafs. Haven't seen them for years now and am slightly out of touch with their development but the last I heard was that they are now more reliable in the front (In rear they were anyway ok).

Dear Mr. Khan,

Many thanks for your input. Yes indeed would prefer a positive camber up in front.

Thing is the new winch and steel bumper (+70 kg )wt up in front) has reduced front wheel arch clearance.

Indeed CFLs might be an option to consider.
Do you have an approximate idea on how much " lift" they provide?

Brdgs
Ronnie.
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Try a helper leaf in front. That should help in getting (retaining) some +ve camber..

Dear Mr. Khan,

Many thanks for your input. Yes indeed would prefer a positive camber up in front.

Thing is the new winch and steel bumper (+70 kg )wt up in front) has reduced front wheel arch clearance.

Indeed CFLs might be an option to consider.
Do you have an approximate idea on how much " lift" they provide?

Brdgs
Ronnie.