Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Where can I get DEPENDABLE 57 inch axles(2) with 4:88 or above ratio differentials. ? Also maybe a manual locker for the rear. This would be for a brand new Thar DI which I have not booked yet. Your answers may decide the purchase. This would be for use in the Himalayas. Therefore they have to be stone-reliable. Coming back home via yak caravan may set my neighbors' tongues wagging but I can do without the life experience.

One paramount concern is obtaining same with the differential gear lash (back lash) set correctly. Any ideas? I would like to get something more reliable than used Army stuff if possible.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Where can I get ----
DD, I cannot tell you where you can get this stuff. But when you get hold of one and have reached to the backlash setting stage, let me know if you have any queries.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 20:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,439
Thanked: 1,929 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
and have reached to the backlash setting stage, let me know if you have any queries.
Hi,
It will be great if you can educate us on what happens if everything is not spot on. Contact patches and all. A sensitivity analysis, if you will.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 23:54   #4
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 479
Thanked: 1,093 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
One paramount concern is obtaining same with the differential gear lash (back lash) set correctly. Any ideas? I would like to get something more reliable than used Army stuff if possible.
1. If you want to bring your axles/gears up to Manali for a weekend, we can play around with a dial indicator and bluing solution and online how-to guides... but you'll have to wait till the weather gets warmer - lots of cold steel there.

2. IMO, with the relatively low power output of the engine in question and the relatively high strength of the Dana 44's, I really don't think that even with less-than-great backlash / contact patch settings you're going to be coming home by yak caravan. Too little backlash at high speed=heat buildup, but so long as we err on the side of a too much clearance (backlash), from what I understand you're really only looking at longer-term wear issues, not breakdowns. Re: contact patches, it's not too hard to discern (this is where the bluing solution comes in) whether your gears are meshing nearer the center or nearer one edge or the other. Keep it nearer the center and I think everything's going to be fine. We're not dealing with 300hp here. I too live in the Himalayas, and with wife/baby/wild travel plans am likewise supremely concerned about reliability in "the outback" and honestly would not have any concern over the diffs in our DI Marshal so long as I knew they were set somewhere in the ballpark, had fresh fluid, and were not making funny noises.

3. What would be the advantage to the DI Thar over your Invader... and will the latter be up for sale if you can be convinced for the former?

4. How many people in the forum (or elsewhere) have actually have catastrophically broken rear diffs in Himalayan tours? Less-than-perfectly-maintained Sumo taxis manage with 11 people and all their luggage day after day, year after year. Nubra, Zanskar, Pangong, etc. Haven't seen one broke yet. I guess if you're going solo out to Changthang for hard-core offroading, that might be a different thing... but then I'd have to ask, "Why?"

-Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 8th December 2012 at 00:14.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 10:03   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
1. If you want to bring your axles/gears up to Manali for a weekend, we can play around with a dial indicator and bluing solution and online how-to guides... but you'll have to wait till the weather gets warmer - lots of cold steel there.

2. IMO, with the relatively low power output of the engine in question and the relatively high strength of the Dana 44's, I really don't think that even with less-than-great backlash / contact patch settings you're going to be coming home by yak caravan. Too little backlash at high speed=heat buildup, but so long as we err on the side of a too much clearance (backlash), from what I understand you're really only looking at longer-term wear issues, not breakdowns. Re: contact patches, it's not too hard to discern (this is where the bluing solution comes in) whether your gears are meshing nearer the center or nearer one edge or the other. Keep it nearer the center and I think everything's going to be fine. We're not dealing with 300hp here. I too live in the Himalayas, and with wife/baby/wild travel plans am likewise supremely concerned about reliability in "the outback" and honestly would not have any concern over the diffs in our DI Marshal so long as I knew they were set somewhere in the ballpark, had fresh fluid, and were not making funny noises.

3. What would be the advantage to the DI Thar over your Invader... and will the latter be up for sale if you can be convinced for the former?

4. How many people in the forum (or elsewhere) have actually have catastrophically broken rear diffs in Himalayan tours? Less-than-perfectly-maintained Sumo taxis manage with 11 people and all their luggage day after day, year after year. Nubra, Zanskar, Pangong, etc. Haven't seen one broke yet. I guess if you're going solo out to Changthang for hard-core offroading, that might be a different thing... but then I'd have to ask, "Why?"

-Erik

My Invader is no longer in production and soon some parts will be very hard to find even though it shares a lot of parts with other Mahindras. The Invader's rear end suspension is a little shoddy, design-wise. The Thar DI is a bit smaller and easier to maneuver in tight places...if you have the 57 inch axles.

Your comments on the low HP coupled with the high reliability of the Dana 44 are well taken. I don't want to go thru the bluing bit.

One break down on the north side of Rohtang is one too many for me.

There have been exactly 3,245,672 breakdowns on Himalayan Tour vehicle's differentials in the last 5 years. It's a Bermuda Triangle kind of thing. In fact, I hear some Navy pilots recently were found walking around in a daze at the Yak concession on Rohtang.

Do you actually have some good Mahindra mechanics in Manali? They are a precious commodity. Lock them up at night.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 16:19   #6
BHPian
 
wild child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 136 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Guys

I have a couple of queries regarding axles.
-What is the width of the semi floating rear axle that comes in a non NGCS mm550 XD 4wd?
- Is there a FFRA to match the width of the semi floating one?
- If so, can the differential gears from the existing semi floating axle be fitted in the FFRA so that I can retain the LSD?

Regards
W_C
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Where can I get DEPENDABLE 57 inch axles(2) with 4:88 or above ratio differentials. ? Also maybe a manual locker for the rear. This would be for a brand new Thar DI which I have not booked yet. Your answers may decide the purchase. This would be for use in the Himalayas. Therefore they have to be stone-reliable. Coming back home via yak caravan may set my neighbors' tongues wagging but I can do without the life experience.

One paramount concern is obtaining same with the differential gear lash (back lash) set correctly. Any ideas? I would like to get something more reliable than used Army stuff if possible.
Hi DD,

I'll Get you the Front 57" OKBJ and Rear 53" FFRA with properly set 4.88:1 (44/9 Diff Ratio), but you'll have to ask one of your Girlfriends to carry the Locker Down from the States.

Or if all of them decide to visit you at once you can get the entire running gear from a JEEP Wrangler Rubicon,

And if you really want to impress the SoCal & NoCal girls order something custom, and no "JUGAAD"

Regards,

Arka

PS - Come down south, the cold, rarified air and the proximity to Dharamshala is getting to you

Last edited by ex670c : 11th January 2013 at 12:19.
ex670c is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 08:58   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi DD,

I'll Get you the Front 57" OKBJ and Rear 53" FFRA with properly set 4.88:1 (44/9 Diff Ratio), but you'll have to ask one of your Girlfriends to carry the Locker Down from the States.
I had almost given up on this idea. I may take you up on it. Let me reappraise and get back to you. Mahindra service and spares situation seems to be getting worse instead of better around here...have to find a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - Come down south, the cold, rarified air and the proximity to Dharamshala is getting to you
It's colder than a well digger's rear deck right now....another good idea by you.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Fitment of ARB Diff Lockers for Scorpio CRDe n.devdath 4x4 Technical 18 3rd August 2015 10:53
Gypsy on Steroids: Lockers installed and tested now khan_sultan 4x4 Technical 192 26th June 2014 23:34
Welded Differentials - AKA - Home made Cheap Locked diffs svsantosh 4x4 Technical 22 8th December 2011 12:04
A Pure Off-Road Spec Gypsy Build | SPoA, Lockers, Bumpers etc etc. swastikviji 4x4 Vehicles 81 16th July 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks