Team-BHP - Poor braking on my Thar CRDe
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Poor braking on my Thar CRDe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/132690-poor-braking-my-thar-crde.html)

Fellow BHPians..Really need your advice on this one.

Have been driving a Thar for quite some time now. Have always felt that the braking is quite inadequate. The city is quite manageable but I really feel that this vehicle can have better braking. I really heed to the popular belief, that 4X4 vehicles are not really meant high speeds. Thar has quite a capable engine and have touched 140 on mine on an occasional basis. But good brakes are a must for any vehicle and the Thar disappoints you on this front. Even in the city, I have had a few dropped heart beat moments, which really put you off :Frustrati

I did try replacing the Booster with a Scorpio, and was very happy with the outcome, but one but the dealership guys told me that they would not support the enhancement and the warranty goes void. So I removed it.

Now its been nearly two years since I have has this machine, and I really want to do something permanent about improving the braking on this mean machine

What are various options one can have for improving the braking performance and of course what kind of budgets are involved in it ?

please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlitoz (Post 3044358)
Now its been nearly two years since I have has this machine, and I really want to do something permanent about improving the braking on this mean machine

Is it still under warranty? If it isn't then why don't you get the Scorpio brake booster now?

The stock brakes on Thar CRDe is really bad at higher speeds, by design. It has been admitted by Behram Dhabhar and he has provided detailed solution in some thread. Please look for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlitoz (Post 3044358)
Fellow BHPians..Really need your advice on this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 3044459)
The stock brakes on Thar CRDe is really bad at higher speeds, by design. It has been admitted by Behram Dhabhar and he has provided detailed solution in some thread. Please look for it.

@Karlitoz - Please check this thread post # 39 onwards: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2999380

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 3044432)
Is it still under warranty? If it isn't then why don't you get the Scorpio brake booster now?

@Vikram, yes its out of warranty now. I found the braking to be better when I had tested it for some time, but removed it as it was under warranty at that time. But had heard from a few guys that it is not suggested, so wanted to confirm with fellow BHPians, whether there are any other options to achieve better braking besides what is not being suggested. I really don't know what impact would a better booster have on the vehicle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlitoz (Post 3044537)
@Vikram, yes its out of warranty now. I found the braking to be better when I had tested it for some time, but removed it as it was under warranty at that time. But had heard from a few guys that it is not suggested, so wanted to confirm with fellow BHPians, whether there are any other options to achieve better braking besides what is not being suggested. I really don't know what impact would a better booster have on the vehicle

Comfortablynumb has posted the link above to a similar mod done by another user and he is happy with it and Behram sir agrees with the mod, so I guess it should be safe for you to do it too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 3044474)
@Karlitoz - Please check this thread post # 39 onwards: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2999380

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 3044541)
Comfortablynumb has posted the link above to a similar mod done by another user and he is happy with it and Behram sir agrees with the mod, so I guess it should be safe for you to do it too.

Thanks Comfortable numb and Vikram. What is suggested is written below.
Remove the existing booster.

Replace with scorpio crde tandem break booster.

Retain the same small quarter column of thar to the new booster.

Alter the rear bedding of the vacccum tank to a straight line and tapper its head to the proper angle of the fender.

Replace the old round vaccum tank to new vaccum tank of Mhawk. Remove the dummy fuse stand on RHS inner fender, grind the surface,make 2 holes and paint properly.Fit accumulator in between air filter and wind screen reservoir.

(Cant fit the vaccum tank here for THARs which is having factory fitted AC, as the AC dryer bottle is fixed on the dummy fuse stand).

Remove the T joint and insert the pipe direct to vaccum modulator at the firewall.

Buy new vaccum pipes of Mhawk. Remove T and use 2 bend pipes between Booster,alternator and the new vaccum tank. You will be left out with a long pipe of Mhawk kit. Keep the same in your stock.

Do plumbing carefully w/o disturbing the bundi pipes,AC pipes and vaccum hoses rubbing each other.

Airfilter has to be lifted near RHS fender with 2 link bushes of scorpio with a 7mm sleeve inside to avoid loading of the same to new tandem booster reservoir tank as the new booster in longer than existing and space is less.

Need to use 2 nos 1 inch bolts of 13 sizes where link bushes are used.

Do bleeding at 4 wheels and at LSPV.

Set the LSPV valves.

My next question is, Does anyone know who can do this in Bangalore ?

Actually Mahindra has brakes that are not meant to lock but instead slow you down as much as possible, so it feels like its inadequate. Its not ABS but some mechanical feature, I read a article on this some years back that they had some brake settings like this.

I had a Gurkha and the brakes where awful on that, only the rear used to lock first and it was totally dangerous, they never could fix it satisfactorily. Comparatively the Mahindra brakes seem ok but they dont lock on high speeds, so i suggest you hit the gym and work out more for your legs if you ever needed more power that is the only solution unless you want to change the entire brake assembly with caliper and master cylinder.. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlitoz (Post 3054797)
My next question is, Does anyone know who can do this in Bangalore ?

Why don't you contact Rajith, he's also from Bangalore and has got it done here. I'm sure he will help you out with where to get the job done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 3055983)
Why don't you contact Rajith, he's also from Bangalore and has got it done here. I'm sure he will help you out with where to get the job done.

Thanks Vikram. I don't see him on this thread. Can you please send me the link to his profile..Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlitoz (Post 3056077)
Thanks Vikram. I don't see him on this thread. Can you please send me the link to his profile..Thanks

Here you go - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/rajith.html

Mods note: Thread moved to 4X4 Technical Section.

Please refer to the thread below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3067799 (Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story.)

All expenses were covered by ASC since the vehicle was under warranty, most likely you must claim for the same.