Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 12:40   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hi Arka,

Couple of obervations, Questions (to Lamda & Viji sir may be). I know a few answers, but this post could be a FAQ for the uninformed if you could write up the answers.

1) The pumpkin guard from Viji takes a small cut to accomodate the new custom-diff-cover from Lamda I suppose?

2) Is the cable a commonly available part, looks like a clutch cable from some jeep?

3) If the cable snaps in a OTR (Looks exposed, viji potential for a custom cover plate?), is the default 'cable-fail' position 'diff-lock' or 'diff-open' position? (pic depicts open is default, spring loaded is lock position)

4) Could you please post pics of parts removed from the Jeep to understand the mod better? Looks like the old housing with 4 spiders are the only removed parts, right?

5) Is the Entire box contents fabricated/manufactured in Lamda's facility from a block of metal (/M&M Spares like cable) ? Or is even 1 small % imported? (Servicability and ease of spares POV)

Lamda -- As few voiced here and in the past, cost is currently the only deterrent, please try to make it a little more affordable (volume vs niche)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
To add to the points mentioned above

1) What is the cost of the Eaton Autolocker? (Lets not get into Autolockers vs MLDs here)

2) Views of anyone (with shopfloor/ manufacturing experience) visited/ taken a walk through Lambda's facilities.

3) Lambda manufactures all parts or some are bought out. Imported or otherwise.

3) The modified diff cover: Supplied by Lambda, or modified at users end?

4) Selector fork: actuating shaft has positive detents?

5) Selector fork: Apart from water resistance, what are the chances of it rusting and freezing?

6) What is the force necessary to engage? While running engaged, how hot will the fork get?

7) Showcased/ trialed in any OTR?
Hi Guys,

I'm answering the question in points.

1) The Swastik Fab Diff-Guard has to cut to fit over the Diff-Lock Cover.

2) The Actuating Cable is from a Maruti Omni Clutch Cable.

3) The Default position is OPEN,; if the Cable Snaps, then the Differential Lock, will unlock and function as an open Differential.

4) The Lambda Differential Lock is a Carrier Replacement, the entire carrier assembly and spider gears are replaced. The Crown Gear is bolted on to the new Carrier(Diff-Lock) and Differential Ratios from 3.92 to 5.89 can be used.

5) All Parts are manufactured locally, once volumes increase spare parts will be available.

6) The Eaton Locker COst in the range of 40K

7) The Modified Diff-Cover is provided as part of the Kit.

8) AFAIK The Actuating Shaft does not have detents.

9) Rusting - If the vehicle is in regular use, then rusting will be negligible.
Freezing - If differential Oils Freeze, then the Locker will Freeze.
If the Actuating Cable can Freeze, then the Diff-Lock may not be engaged/dis-engaged.

10) The Force required to engage, similar to getting off an armchair, using your hands.
How ever dis-engaging the locker takes a bit more effort, but it is not uncomfortable.

11) The Lambda Locker equipped MM550XD was used as a Marshal Vehicle at TPC2013, Participated in the Bangalore Off-Road Jamboree October 2013. The vehicle is being used daily and frequent off-road recce in Chennai.

Last edited by ex670c : 18th December 2013 at 13:06. Reason: additional info
ex670c is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 19:03   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm answering the question in points.

1) The Swastik Fab Diff-Guard has to cut to fit over the Diff-Lock Cover.

10) The Force required to engage, similar to getting off an armchair, using your hands.
How ever dis-engaging the locker takes a bit more effort, but it is not uncomfortable.
Arka, could you elaborate on what you mean by #1 above? I don't quite understand what you mean. Sorry 'bout that.

Also, #10, do you think the mounting position of the cable and handle is okay or would it work better if it was moved to over the rear wheel well or some other place to get more mechanical leverage directly on it?
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 21:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,313 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
6) The Eaton Locker COst in the range of 40K
For 30 spline applications, I feel better to go for a proven product like Eaton.

For 19 spline there is not other options in India now...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 22:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 2,313 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Also, #10, do you think the mounting position of the cable and handle is okay or would it work better if it was moved to over the rear wheel well or some other place to get more mechanical leverage directly on it?
It will have to be accessible by the driver while operating the vehicle. So I guess, this is the only place to install it in the jeep.

More details of Eaton MLD in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...off-shelf.html (Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf)

The advantages of the Eaton Unit in my opinion is.

1) No drilling of diff cover or floor to run cables.

2) Self engaging when required.

3) Priced about 15K to 20K cheaper than Lambda one.

4) From a proven manufactuer of differentials/locks/LSD.

Disadvantages:

1) Guess you miss the ability to engage and disengage when required.


However, for the front axles, I think best to go for something where the engagement/disengagement of the locker can be handled completely manually.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 18th December 2013 at 23:20.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 04:13   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

Disadvantages:

1) Guess you miss the ability to engage and disengage when required.
A manually selectable locker is a great advantage up here in the cold mountains where you have to contend with snow at times. In snow and/or ice you often DO NOT want a locker engaged. The locker itself, clutch-type, spool-type, can cause slippage on icey, slippery road surfaces. Deep snow can really clog up your undercarriage and make a mess of cable linkages. This is why I would consider alternative handle positions, even if it means stopping briefly and reaching around to the rear.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 20th December 2013 at 04:37.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 17:00   #21
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

11) The Lambda Locker equipped MM550XD was used as a Marshal Vehicle at TPC2013, Participated in the Bangalore Off-Road Jamboree October 2013. The vehicle is being used daily and frequent off-road recce in Chennai.
Arka,
Long term feedback of Lamda diff lock will be great !
I know at least 6-7 prospective customers who can jump in to buy a set if long term report is positive.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 11:16   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Long term Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Arka,
Long term feedback of Lamda diff lock will be great !
I know at least 6-7 prospective customers who can jump in to buy a set if long term report is positive.

Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra,

The Lambda Diff-Locks have been working great, over the past one year.

The installations has to be perfect to get the most out of the locking and unlocking system.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 20:09   #23
BHPian
 
Bump-Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 82
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Guys is it possible to fit this diff to Gypsy ? mine is a MG410W and would like to get this
Hi Neon, as far as I know the 410W diff ratio is 3.73 as well, so my guess is no. Also the spline count (22 / 26) is different. Gurus could you kindly advise if in error?
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 20:37   #24
BHPian
 
Bump-Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 82
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

Recently 19 & 30 Spline Selectable; Cable Actuated Differential Lock, made by Lambda Engineering and marketed by Swastik Fabs were released in the market

Arka
Dear Arka,

Thanks for the detailed pics and explanation.
Could you kindly advise on the following (newbie) qurries:

1. Where the cable enters the differential housing, could there be an issue with regards to water ingress. Have these been tried and tested off road during water fording?

2. In certain cases / vehicles, I heard that the bottom part of the pumpkin may be shaved off 1-2" to gain additional ground clearance.In the case of our Jeeps, and Gypsies, would there still be enough room to play with with the lockers installed or is it already quite a tight fit? I have attached before and after pics downloaded from Google.

Kind Regards,
Ronnie
Attached Images
  
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 10:52   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Locking/Unlocking Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Dear Arka,

Thanks for the detailed pics and explanation.
Could you kindly advise on the following (newbie) qurries:

1. Where the cable enters the differential housing, could there be an issue with regards to water ingress. Have these been tried and tested off road during water fording?

2. In certain cases / vehicles, I heard that the bottom part of the pumpkin may be shaved off 1-2" to gain additional ground clearance.In the case of our Jeeps, and Gypsies, would there still be enough room to play with with the lockers installed or is it already quite a tight fit? I have attached before and after pics downloaded from Google.
Hi Ronnie,

The Locking mechanism is fitted on the diff cover, so there is no need for additional plumbing on the diff housing.

Since the Lockers/Diff-Locka are usually Diff Carrier modifications or replacements, shaving the diff casing will have no impact on the lockers.

Shaving the diff is useful in bigger differentials like Dana 60, GM 14 Bolt etc.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:14   #26
BHPian
 
Bump-Stop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 82
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Locking/Unlocking Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Ronnie,

The Locking mechanism is fitted on the diff cover, so there is no need for additional plumbing on the diff housing.

Since the Lockers/Diff-Locka are usually Diff Carrier modifications or replacements, shaving the diff casing will have no impact on the lockers.

Shaving the diff is useful in bigger differentials like Dana 60, GM 14 Bolt etc.

Regards,

Arka
Dear Arka,

Many thanks for the clarification.

Brgds
Ronnie.
Bump-Stop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 11:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Here's a quick video we made for a friend. Very crude editing, but, does the job of illustrating the purpose of a differential locker.

dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 17:13   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Hey guys, I'll soon get my new Scorpio S10 4x4 Intelli Hybrid.
I wanted to get this Eaton E-locker installed on it.
Has anybody tried this before?

I've dropped couple of mails to the eaton folks, but no replies yet.
I'm planning to visit their Pimpri, Pune office in person to get details.
However, wanted to get advice from the experts first.

Please advise.
ienem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 09:51   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,406
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ienem View Post
Hey guys, I'll soon get my new Scorpio S10 4x4 Intelli Hybrid.
I wanted to get this Eaton E-locker installed on it.
Has anybody tried this before?

I've dropped couple of mails to the eaton folks, but no replies yet.
I'm planning to visit their Pimpri, Pune office in person to get details.
However, wanted to get advice from the experts first.

Please advise.
You can buy the Thar locker and fit it. From Mahindra showroom. Or there are many aftermarket sellers for lockers. PM me, I'll let you know.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 10:08   #30
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 900
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles

Isn't the rear diff of the new scorpio different than the previous generation/thar?
I don't think the thar/previous gen scorpio's MLD would fit the new scorpio Dhanush.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine, Gearbox, Diff ratios, axles options for the JEEP Frankenstein 4x4 Technical 95 2nd June 2017 15:46
Diff Lock for the Mahindra Classic falcon 4x4 Technical 23 8th January 2016 21:01
Which Steering lock and Gear lock to buy? willy Modifications & Accessories 73 3rd September 2015 12:17
Security : Gear lock, steering lock venkatrx Modifications & Accessories 11 25th January 2011 18:04
Diff. Lock for the Safari Dicor... ranjit Technical Stuff 16 8th November 2006 02:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks