Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 21:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,405
Thanked: 3,929 Times
Default DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Since the last two months, I've been completely dismantling and re-fitting my Jeep, and doing some major DIY work. Out of all the parts of the jeep, this has to be one of the most easily serviceable and sometimes, most frequently needed one, hence thought of sharing it here.

The Free Wheeling Hub, which is used to disengage the front axles from the front wheels, hence free half the drive train from unnecessarily spinning when on tarmac, is a pain to lock and unlock after a major slush fest. Removing and servicing helps.

Step 1:

Remove the 6 ~14 size bolts that holds the freewheeling hub. If you have alloys or negative offset wheels, then removing the wheel will help you put a ring spanner to remove the bolts, which reduces the chances of slipping and damaging the bolts. Or else, use a double end flat spanner and slowly loosen it, to prevent slipping.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3615.jpg

After which cover the area to prevent dust or contaminants entering.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3712.jpg

Step 2:

Remove the 6 allen key bolts.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3843.jpg

After which you can separate the locking-unlocking mechanism.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3845.jpg

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3844.jpg

Step 3:

Twist, loosen and remove the part with the splines . That is what slides through the mechanism, locks and frees the hub. You can also get the spring out in this step.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3846.jpg

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3848.jpg

Step 4:

Well, in this step, I don't have an image to guide, but is an important step. There is a circlip in the locking and unlocking mechanism, which when removed, separates it. You should remove it.

Name:  IMG_3848 copy.jpg
Views: 4103
Size:  184.2 KB

Once this is done, all the parts in the Free Wheeling Hub is separate. After which, you can soak/wash it in diesel.

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-img_3714.jpg

The refitting process is just the whole procedure backwards.

Couple of things to notice:
  • There is a common problem of the freewheeling hubs flying off while driving, or the bolts missing or loosened. Well, I think, this is due to the fact that many use only a flat spanner to tighten the 6, 14 size bolts. This is because a socket or ring spanner is difficult or impossible to use due to the location of the FWH. However, by removing the wheels, you can put in a ring and tighten the bolts. I strongly recommend to do this. And, to use a thread locker seal in the bolts.
  • Also while refitting the locking mechanism, put some grease to free the mechanism. However, I have a slight concern that it might gather more dirt in the long run if not serviced regularly.
Overall, even tough the Free Wheeling Hub is a great addition to save your drivetrain from unnecessary wear and tear, and especially helpful to those having a front LSD/Locker to drive on road, or tracks with good grip, I have my own concerns about the lambda free wheeling hub.

Reason:

My crown/pinion does not have even a teeny weeny bit of play. All this play seen in this video is from the freewheeling hub.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope the above DIY encourages jeepers to do it themselves, gain a feeling of accomplishment and save that hole the jeep dug in your pocket from growing bigger.

P.S: Please feel free to correct and add points.
dhanushs is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 19:23   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kanoor
Posts: 71
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

@dhanushs

Very Detailed step by step description. Usually there is a cir-clip to keep the axle float in check. When this clip is present the FWHub assy will not come off as described after removal of the 6 hub bolts. Hence the 6 allen head bolts have to removed first, get the cap off then remove the cir-clip and later on remove the bolts.. A deep socket can be used to access the bolts in case of Alloy rims if needed.
Timson is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 12:10   #3
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Reason:

My crown/pinion does not have even a teeny weeny bit of play. All this play seen in this video is from the freewheeling hub.


P.S: Please feel free to correct and add points.
Is this play is because of FH ? The Hub is in locked position or Free ? if its in free position then it won't be a issue But What will happen if this in locked position ? is this problem solved after the Service ? Sorry lots of questions

- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 22:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,405
Thanked: 3,929 Times
Default Re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Is this play is because of FH ?
Yes.
Quote:
The Hub is in locked position or Free ?
Obviously locked. If its free, there will only be play, with nothing to stop it.
Quote:
What will happen if this in locked position ?
It is in locked position, hence the concern. and the question.
Quote:
is this problem solved after the Service ?
No, by just washing it in diesel one can only free the locking/unlocking mechanism of muck. For this I guess you have to give it to the industry and correct the splines, or buy new FWH.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 04:26   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai/ KSA
Posts: 242
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Thank you Dhanushs for this DIY lesson. Your thread with it's clear photographs and easy to read explanation is just like a Haynes Manual! Look forward to more such DIY articles from you.
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 08:22   #6
BHPian
 
sreejeshmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 623
Thanked: 571 Times
Default Re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes.
Obviously locked. If its free, there will only be play, with nothing to stop it.
Now Confused with "play"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
It is in locked position, hence the concern. and the question.
Does is effect the axle, Crown/pinion ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
No, by just washing it in diesel one can only free the locking/unlocking mechanism of muck. For this I guess you have to give it to the industry and correct the splines, or buy new FWH.
again confused, But now with "Service" , BTW is it possible to correct the splines of FH ?
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:07   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Assy and Lubrication

Hi Guys,

As Timson has mentioned, the Front Axle Circlip is VERY IMPORTANT.

If the Circlip is not fitted, the axle will torque the FWH loose, and it can fall off. (Seen this happen a couple of times, even on my jeep)

If you are driving frequently in wet conditions, apply a very light film of grease on the moving parts/Teeth and spline and then put a few drops on 85W140 or 140 gear oil inside the FWH.

Unlike a light film of grease, gear oil does not accumulate the grit and grime, especially useful for the FWH Locking Cap.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 14:30   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,487
Thanked: 6,765 Times
Default Re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

Very good article. Apart from the circlip, the best way to keep the bolts in place is to replace those spring and flat washers with new ones, everytime the unit is serviced. If you do this and add a drop of thread lock solution, the bolts will remain in place.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 21:44   #9
BHPian
 
winsler_srider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: KL-07/KLIA
Posts: 70
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Assy and Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

As Timson has mentioned, the Front Axle Circlip is VERY IMPORTANT.

If the Circlip is not fitted, the axle will torque the FWH loose, and it can fall off. (Seen this happen a couple of times, even on my jeep)

If you are driving frequently in wet conditions, apply a very light film of grease on the moving parts/Teeth and spline and then put a few drops on 85W140 or 140 gear oil inside the FWH.

Unlike a light film of grease, gear oil does not accumulate the grit and grime, especially useful for the FWH Locking Cap.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka, everyone,

Please advice me on buying free wheeling hubs, whether it is necessary or not. I'm using my ride for mostly off-road activities and just few 100 km for fun drive, other than driving it to the event location. Also, if I need to buy a pair, suggest me the best as well as the cheapest brand that will get the job done.

Regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 13:15   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Re: Assy and Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
Please advice me on buying free wheeling hubs, whether it is necessary or not. I'm using my ride for mostly off-road activities and just few 100 km for fun drive, other than driving it to the event location. Also, if I need to buy a pair, suggest me the best as well as the cheapest brand that will get the job done.
Hi Winsler,

A FWH is definitely useful, since it reduces the drag caused by the drive line.
This will also make the steering lighter in use.

Carry the axle flange as a spare in the vehicle.

Lambda has been making FWH for Mahindra JEEPs since 1996, and they are quite good.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 11:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,405
Thanked: 3,929 Times
Default Re: Assy and Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
Hi Arka, everyone,

Please advice me on buying free wheeling hubs, whether it is necessary or not. I'm using my ride for mostly off-road activities and just few 100 km for fun drive, other than driving it to the event location.
Hi, a Fixed flange is always reliable.

And, the way I've experienced it is if you dont drive on road atleast 50% of the time, investing in a FWH is not worth it. The one good advantage a FWH gives you is - you can drive back home if something goes wrong with your front drivetrain. Apart from that, for proper offroad vehicles, 'saving' your front drivetrain doesnt make sense for me.
Quote:
Also, if I need to buy a pair, suggest me the best as well as the cheapest brand that will get the job done.
Lambda FWH's have proved to be very popular. Contact swastikviji in tbhp.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 00:23   #12
BHPian
 
winsler_srider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: KL-07/KLIA
Posts: 70
Thanked: 61 Times
Question Re: Assy and Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Winsler,

A FWH is definitely useful, since it reduces the drag caused by the drive line.
This will also make the steering lighter in use.

Carry the axle flange as a spare in the vehicle.

Lambda has been making FWH for Mahindra JEEPs since 1996, and they are quite good.

Regards,

Arka
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi, a Fixed flange is always reliable.

And, the way I've experienced it is if you dont drive on road atleast 50% of the time, investing in a FWH is not worth it. The one good advantage a FWH gives you is - you can drive back home if something goes wrong with your front drivetrain. Apart from that, for proper offroad vehicles, 'saving' your front drivetrain doesnt make sense for me.

Lambda FWH's have proved to be very popular. Contact swastikviji in tbhp.
Hi Arka, Dhanush,

Pardon me , I haven't had an insight on the term "flange" till now.
Came to know about it from the link from wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange

& the attached image.

I have gone through few reference about the same over internet and got some information. Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

Flange is something [disc dial] that is connected to the axle rod at the ends which then connects to the wheel hubs and wheels. If fixed flanges are present, the hubs are directly connected without any option to disconnect it when required or connect it back in other situations. But in case of FWHs, it is like the flanges have the option to be disconnected from the hubs to let the axles rods to turn independent of wheels [on-road] and reconnected once required [off-road].

regards,
winsler
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-designofhalfshaftandwheelhubassemblyforracingcar18728.jpg  

winsler_srider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:35   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kanoor
Posts: 71
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs

@winsler_srider

For your reference here are some pics of the front axle fixed flange and the FWH(Free Wheel Hub)
The LAMDA free wheel Hubs are extremely durable in most utility applications, I have used them extensively over the last decade and haven't had a problem.

Chengappa.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-dsc04900.jpg  

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-dsc04901.jpg  

DIY: Service & Maintenance of Lambda Free-Wheeling-Hubs-dsc04902.jpg  

Timson is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lamda Free Wheeling Front Hubs for Jeeps 4x4addict 4x4 Technical 201 6th November 2016 21:45
Mitsubishi Pajero - Free wheeling hub malfunction aresq 4x4 Technical 2 25th November 2014 11:21
1927 Lancia Lambda In Delhi speedy Pre-War 24 10th May 2010 16:05
WANTED: Oxygen sensor (Lambda probe) for OHC VTEC gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 5 7th July 2009 14:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks