Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 11:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,407
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Hi All,

I'm upgrading my radiator to the huge Bolero XD3P one. However, the radiator is a 2nd hand one, and I need to recondition it. So, while at it, I was thinking of running an oil pipe through the length of the bottom tank - In a zig-zag way.

The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?-j5361574_v1_20111215.jpg

Unlike those army oil coolers, this one should be much more effective. Also, assuming an oil pipe less than 10mm dia, the loss of tank volume should be around ~10 percent. And, I guess there should not be any interruption in flow. Also, I have a feeling it might need a half a liter or so more oil in the sump?

So, what do you guys think? What could possibly be the short comings?


Image Source: http://cdn2.autopartsnetwork.com/ima...1_20111215.jpg

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th February 2014 at 11:44.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 13:23   #2
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 561
Thanked: 323 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

I believe getting the oil pipe through the tank would result to a leaky radiator if the sealing is not done properly, or the surface around the weld corrodes/disintegrates in future.

In my opinion, it would be good to place a separate slim oil cooler just in front of the radiator (if there is adequate space). This one would work along with the radiator and would be cooled by the radiator fan if the vehicle is idle.

If you go either of the route, it would be better to attach a heavy duty rubber pipe (used in hydraulic systems) for inlet and outlet at the mouth of the oil cooler/radiiator and tighten it with good quality clamps on both sides to prevent cracks and breakage due to engine vibration.

Attaching an image for reference of a similar setup of my Leyland generator engine.
Name:  WP_20140211_001.jpg
Views: 5387
Size:  85.5 KB
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 14:01   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

I wont be surprised if you have already completed the mod and teasing us seeing how we would react!!

Copyright - respective owners
Name:  Oilcooledengine.png
Views: 5588
Size:  181.7 KB

If not, try to do ^^ from a bike like pulsar.

PS - Army550 Oil Cooler looks amazingly effective. Design wise, the flow of water is directly from the propeller/impeller (?) of the water pump, ensuring more flow of water... I guess
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 16:06   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: kerala
Posts: 64
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi All,

I'm upgrading my radiator to the huge Bolero XD3P one. However, the radiator is a 2nd hand one, and I need to recondition it. So, while at it, I was thinking of running an oil pipe through the length of the bottom tank - In a zig-zag way.
===========
Image Source: http://cdn2.autopartsnetwork.com/ima...1_20111215.jpg
There is nothing unusual in it. In fact this method is widely used in bigger trucks as transmission oil cooler
dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 17:23   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,323
Thanked: 3,665 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

But how will you make the pipe attain & maintain that position inside ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 17:45   #6
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I wont be surprised if you have already completed the mod and teasing us seeing how we would react!!

Copyright - respective owners
Attachment 1207028

If not, try to do ^^ from a bike like pulsar.
Santosh Ji,
above suggested mod is relevant for engines with less CC (cubic capacity), in fact many RE owners have opted for above mod, which is simple cut and paste job.
Do you think, above mentioned oil cooler would suffice the purpose for engine more than 2000 CC of displacement. Why not a oil cooler from Thar?

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 00:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,407
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But how will you make the pipe attain & maintain that position inside ?
Hi Parwath, only the inside of the radiator will be metal pipes.Till the inlet and from the outlet will be rubber pipes, so that the whole radiator unit acts as one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Do you think, above mentioned oil cooler would suffice the purpose for engine more than 2000 CC of displacement. Why not a oil cooler from Thar
Does Thar have an oil cooler? Which current LMV engines have oil cooler?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 11:49   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Santosh Ji,
above suggested mod is relevant for engines with less CC (cubic capacity), in fact many RE owners have opted for above mod, which is simple cut and paste job.
Do you think, above mentioned oil cooler would suffice the purpose for engine more than 2000 CC of displacement. Why not a oil cooler from Thar?

Shubhendra
Hi Shubhendra,

Is it possible to fix the Thar's oil cooler on a mm540 dp engine. What will be the pros and cons. I have a ac too.

Regards,

Roji
roji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 13:21   #9
BHPian
 
Shubhendra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Poona
Posts: 948
Thanked: 1,107 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Does Thar have an oil cooler? Which current LMV engines have oil cooler?
My bad, i mixed intercooler with oil cooler. I am yet to get used to of new generation technology,still cant get over of F4-134, XDP, DITC, XD3P etc....

By the way i drove a CJ3B fitted with 4FG1 with 5+1 qith 4WD on sand dunes for a week and just loved the smoothness and peppy performance on sand !

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 19:19   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
svsantosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hosur
Posts: 3,308
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Which current LMV engines have oil cooler?
Dhanush, i think you need to look beyond automobiles and into industrial stuff. Want to scourge bamboo bazaar industrial scrap in Bangalore? Let me know and we can hook up there on a WK day.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 20:03   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

This simple yet super effective oil cooler is from a Mondeo. Can get one made on J.C.Road.

The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?-wp_20130321_002.jpg
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 20:04   #12
BHPian
 
Grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 315
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Tell me something,

The rate at which the oil cools down is slower than that of water / coolant, so now would not that actually beat the purpose? Or is my understanding not thourough? I am assuming that oil WILL not flow in coolant duct of the the engine and back to the radiator, it is just a supplementary pipeline outer casing trying to absorb heat from the radiator water / coolant.
Would some one clarify please

Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 20:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,444
Thanked: 1,942 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So, what do you guys think? What could possibly be the short comings?
The oil pipe will be under pressure. Needs to be sturdy. Needs to be properly supported so that it does not vibrate inside the tank and develop cracks. External pipe routing might be easier if the the internal pipe is looped back and both inlet and outlet are at the same side.

Inlet and outlet from adapter at filter?

My suggestion:
First instrument your vehicle to see what oil and radiator bottom tank temperatures you are running. Then mimic those conditions outside to see whether you are getting the benefits you want. Then go ahead with your mods.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 22:02   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 195
Thanked: 169 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Dear Dhanush

Like others have suggested- A dedicated oil cooler is better.
No one would like to have the oil and coolant mixed. In case the joint at the oil hose and radiator bottom develops crack and start to leak, it would prove to be a disaster.

Few suggestions-
1. If you need air-water cooled oil cooler then go for the radiator of cars with automatic transmission. They have a provision for cooling the transmission oil. The lower part of the radiator has a separate oil cooling passage and connection.

2. In almost every diesel car now in the market, there is an in-built water-cooled oil cooler assembly just behind the oil filter.
Ex: TUD-5, Indica/indigo 475idi, Multijet, TDCI etc all of them have an oil cooler just behind the oil filter assembly.

Universal aftermarket bolt on solutions are available, just search on ebay.
interc00led is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 11:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,407
Thanked: 3,930 Times
Default Re: The Unusual Oil Cooler - How Effective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The oil pipe will be under pressure. Needs to be sturdy. Needs to be properly supported so that it does not vibrate inside the tank and develop cracks.
Hi Sutripta,

I'm planning a metal oil pipe inside the bottom tank, the zig-zag design was chosen, so that, I can spot weld on the top and bottom.
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2455
Size:  173.3 KB

Also, regarding pressure, wont the pressure on the pipe be lesser (minus the radiator water pressure) inside the radiator? Will that change cause any issues?
Quote:
External pipe routing might be easier if the the internal pipe is looped back and both inlet and outlet are at the same side.

Inlet and outlet from adapter at filter?
I have an oil pipe flowing to the turbo from the left of the engine to the right of the engine.

Was planning to route this through the radiator? Or does it need a dedicated line? With oil back to the sump in pressure?

Quote:
First instrument your vehicle to see what oil and radiator bottom tank temperatures you are running. Then mimic those conditions outside to see whether you are getting the benefits you want. Then go ahead with your mods.
Yes, thank you. Will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But how will you make the pipe attain & maintain that position inside ?
Hi, Sorry, I got your question wrong the first time. I will be dismantling the radiator bottom tank and fixing the pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
The rate at which the oil cools down is slower than that of water / coolant, so now would not that actually beat the purpose?
As long as there is temperature difference, the hotter liquid will lose heat.
Quote:
Or is my understanding not thourough? I am assuming that oil WILL not flow in coolant duct of the the engine and back to the radiator, it is just a supplementary pipeline outer casing trying to absorb heat from the radiator water / coolant.
The oil will come from an outlet from the engine, flow through the radiator, lose heat, and the cold (comparatively) oil will return back to the oil sump.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absence of Oil Cooler in New Swift - How important is it? Sankar Technical Stuff 37 9th October 2014 20:40
Civic Oil Sump crack. How effective is Brazing? Speed Pujari Technical Stuff 26 8th November 2013 13:59
Oil cooler for 350 mankamble Motorbikes 9 8th February 2010 13:55
Turbocharged 800 Oil Cooler racerdabba Technical Stuff 36 30th October 2008 17:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks