Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 11th April 2014, 18:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Land Rover reveals "Transparent Bonnet" concept

Nice concept! Although I doubt how many will actually make use of such a feature. You'll have to a serious offroader.

By the way, I didn't get the idea of what they are projecting! Is that an actual video of the road, or an animated view? If its augmented reality, then it should be an actual video of the terrain and a pair of tyres augmented graphically into it. Thats what I understood from it. How did they manage to get such a clear video of the terrain ? Shouldn't it be very dark under the car ?
arjuunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 22:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Quite cool, yes. But the fact is that it only works absolutely perfectly from ONE point of view, and decently well from one line of view, but certainly doesn't work seamlessly from other viewpoints.

cya
R
Thanks, I see what you mean.

I don't think its a big thing in this particular case.

The angle variations from the drivers eye due to movement of the head are very shallow/small and its very easy to slightly blur out the image at the edges of the bonnet.

Will be interesting to see in real life.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 22:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I don't think its a big thing in this particular case.

The angle variations from the drivers eye due to movement of the head are very shallow/small and its very easy to slightly blur out the image at the edges of the bonnet.
Yeah, I'll agree with you here.

Part of me is also venting frustration at the earlier concepts seen of "augmented reality projections on the windscreen" (like a HUD). In that case, small movements of the driver's head will make a much larger difference, due to the different distances between the eye, augmented layer & final objects.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 17:20   #19
BHPian

Just a thought, this Idea could well be extrapolated to see below our rear wheels & terrain around the rear wheels

While engaging reverse gear or by engaged by a switch, a head-up display kind of thing could display the same.
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote