Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 26th November 2014, 20:57   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Thar CRDe: Improving its low-end torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Gutfeel time again: The issue is not lag, but that there is an rpm band between idle and turbo coming on song, which corresponds to actual practically needed road speeds. In this rpm band, there will be no boost, no matter how long one waits.
I agree that this is the main issue... though I'm sure that even above that rpm, lag is there to some degree, exacerbating the overall problem. Lack of response would be a combination of both factors in most cases; I'm pretty sure I've read technical materials related to - and have definitely experienced - the increase in lag caused by additional intercooler volume, plumbing, etc.

By the way, have my Kolkata dates - will PM you.

Thanks,
Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 21:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gutfeel time again: The issue is not lag, but that there is an rpm band between idle and turbo coming on
removing the catalytic converter and providing for earlier additional fueling(remap) will reduce this rpm band.. no?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:29   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
By the way, have my Kolkata dates - will PM you.
Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
removing the catalytic converter and providing for earlier additional fueling(remap) will reduce this rpm band.. no?
Not really. Almost fully related to the size/ design of the turbo.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not really. Almost fully related to the size/ design of the turbo.

Agree, as a rule of thumb, removing the cat on a normally aspirated engine might give you 3-4% extra power and typically you will find it improves the low rev pick up. On turbo charged engines the improvement in the low rev band is minimal. I have removed the cat on my NA Alfa Romeo and its very noticeable.

Of coursem removing the cat might also mean you could be violating some environmental rules/laws. BTW on my Spider it happens to perfectly legal under Dutch law.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote