Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 10th June 2016, 11:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Keeping the 4x4 gear in working condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Any advice for an XUV500 AWD owner? The AWD mode is "auto on" or "AWD lock". Since I do not really go off-roading (except for negotiating deep potholes on a few Bangalore roads), what can i do to keep my 4X4 gear in working condition?
Nothing really, except to make sure no one accidentally or otherwise drives the car with AWD lock on tarmac/good roads.
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 14:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Thank you; a few feet on tarmac in 4H/L can't do it any harm if one leaves the steering wheel untouched I suppose. That is what I have been doing, though the Gypsy hasn't needed to leave 2WD for over 4-5 years.
May I ask why would it harm if the steering used in 4L or 4H?
I thought the restriction is only for the speed part. But, of course, I may be completely wrong, as I am more or less a noob on 4wds.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 10th June 2016 at 14:25. Reason: added comment
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 15:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Because in 4H or 4L, the configuration will not allow wheels to spin at different rates; in a turn they have to do so; if not allowed by the road surface to break traction in order to spin at different rates, the 4wd gear will then fight to get them straight again. Using steering inputs to fight back this tendency to run straight, so as to stay in the turn instead, will cause transmission wind up and damage.
Sawyer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 16:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Because in 4H or 4L, the configuration will not allow wheels to spin at different rates; in a turn they have to do so; if not allowed by the road surface to break traction in order to spin at different rates, the 4wd gear will then fight to get them straight again. Using steering inputs to fight back this tendency to run straight, so as to stay in the turn instead, will cause transmission wind up and damage.
Hi Sawyer,

You explanation is true only in case of a locked differential.
In case of an open differential, the whole purpose of the diff is to allow variable rotational speeds on the two tyres.

The transmission windup is caused solely due to the excessive traction on the tarmac.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
L.o.R
lifeoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 16:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Of course; we are talking about cars like Gypsy/Jeep that don't have a centre differential.

Where there is one, leaving it open allows the two axles - not wheels directly - to rotate at different speeds. Wheels on each axle are able to rotate at different speeds on all 4WD cars including Gypsy/Jeep, they have a differential on each axle for this purpose.

On cars with the centre differential, leaving it open doesn't allow all 4 driven wheels to get the necessary drive on poor surfaces, and this necessitates locking it. Conversely, locking it causes wind up damage on tarmac roads with good traction.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote