Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 30th August 2016, 19:46   #16
BHPian

Default Re: How bad are M/T Tyres on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, if you are getting swayed that way, do look at this comment.
But AFAIK Yoko MTs are not available in 235/75/15.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2016, 10:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi folks,

I am planning to change the footwear for my Gypsy and am considering a switch to M/T tires instead of the good old Yokohama Geolander A/Ts. My usage will be a mix of on-road (daily commute to work) and off-road (occasional off-roading). Given this, here are a few queries:

* How bad are M/Ts going to be on-road? I know handling will suffer but then on-road manners for the Gypsy are nothing much to write home about anyways However, will highway drives (at 80-90 kmph) be a concern? Braking issues?

* How long will these last with this kind of usage? I do not anticipate high running - maybe ~500 km a month.

Thanks in advance...
My concern when going for MTs vs ATs would be

1. Noise,
2. Longevity
3. Performance in wet weather
4. Decreased fuel economy
5. Jiggly/harsh ride

If you’re going into deep mud (thus the name – Mud Terrain), very uneven ragged or hard rocky surface, MTs would perform better.

Almost everywhere else i.e., sand (MT tires sink faster in sand as flotation quotient of ATs is better than MTs), snow and off course pavement ATs have a decided edge.

As for Yokohama vs BFG my vote would be for Yokohamas in view of their price/value/performance equation. If money is no object go for BFGs.

Lastly 215 vs 235; my suggestion would be to stick to 215s unless of course you’re going to opt for spacers (which I don’t think you want to).

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 31st August 2016 at 10:26.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone! I have almost finalized on going with AT's (Yokos) but wanted to know if Yoko MTs are available in the 215 profile. I do not intend to upsize beyond 2015's.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote