Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 26th January 2017, 09:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy: 4x4 lever vibrating in 1st gear

Not getting technical about the post, since most of it has pretty much been explained.

However, in my experience a Gypsy TC is very difficult to repair and sort out problems. Most of those I know just change the after a lot of effort. So, if you have warranty, push for replacement.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017, 21:39   #17
BHPian

There is an old thread regarding Gypsy. And I had answered exactly this query as I faced the same problem about 8 years back in my new gypsy. Somehow, I am unable to navigate to that answer right now from my mobile version of team bhp app.

Most probably, it was the clutch and pressure plate. They had weird cuts on them on inspection. So, I would advise you to get your clutch inspected visually.

There will be no slipping, so your Mass may not agree with to begin with. So do pressurize them to open it up and have a look.

Remember one basic rule, gypsy takes 10 to 20k to run in properly. So don't bother about small issues much.

Gypsy has immense capability to heal itself. I had so many issues that resolved without any intervention.

Amazing! Well, it's a Jeep thing. Welcome to the club.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 11th February 2017 at 21:45.
wanderhermit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 02:13   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy: 4x4 lever vibrating in 1st gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
There is an old thread regarding Gypsy. And I had answered exactly this query as I faced the same problem about 8 years back in my new gypsy. Somehow, I am unable to navigate to that answer right now from my mobile version of team bhp app.

Most probably, it was the clutch and pressure plate. They had weird cuts on them on inspection. So, I would advise you to get your clutch inspected visually.

There will be no slipping, so your Mass may not agree with to begin with. So do pressurize them to open it up and have a look.

Remember one basic rule, gypsy takes 10 to 20k to run in properly. So don't bother about small issues much.

Gypsy has immense capability to heal itself. I had so many issues that resolved without any intervention.

Amazing! Well, it's a Jeep thing. Welcome to the club.
Thank you for your note.

If the clutch plate is indeed the culprit then why would the 4WD lever vibrate unless there is something wrong with the TC (shafts/bearings etc.) itself. I have driven a few Gypsys over the years with most of them with less than 10,000 clicks and have never observed this so I'm a little concerned.

An update:

The Gypsy was shown to the Regional Technical Manager at Chandigarh last week. He took it for a drive along with a mechanic from one of the local dealerships and couldn't find anything wrong. He says that if this phenomenon is more noticeable on the steep inclines then he would have to inspect the vehicle in Shimla.

My take: How does it matter if the vehicle is going up a hill or not; the engine is basically in the high RPM range in a low gear; condition that could very well be simulated on a flat surface as well.

Unfortunately I'm out of the country currently and was not present for this inspection. Let's see what happens on next inspection. Will provide an update when the next inspection is completed.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 00:45   #19
BHPian

If you are in Shimla, see if you can have a word with Vijay Parmar in your city. He may be able to give you a solution.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote