Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 6th October 2017, 23:00   #1
BHPian

Default Loading a pickup truck's bed

There is an increasing tribe of recreational truckers around now, especially since the V-Cross variant of the D-Max was launched. Proud to consider myself one of this rare breed. Not sure that's a compliment though.

Dealers now have a range of product available to meet this demand, and we will see more custom setups given the flexibility inherent to this format of vehicle. Bricks, household goods, furniture, even pets can be transported easily. I'm mulling a dinghy or kayak for our weekend and extended camping trips. Except that an inflatable is more convenient since I live in Mumbai and all the mansions were taken. Sharing some examples of what's happening in our ASEAN neighbourhood for comparison -

Name:  images 5.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  images 1.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  32.3 KB
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  33.2 KB

Just love this one
Name:  images 8.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  21.0 KB

And these too
Name:  images 11.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  28.2 KB
Name:  images 4.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  10.2 KB

Of course, proper stowage and safety are important as also a sound understanding of loading and hauling capacity. Perhaps tow rigs are not too far in the future. Matching the ability to go almost anywhere, with cargo to suit the trip is an overlanders' dream. Seems like it is coming true. I believe our country has superb potential with great driving destinations and some pretty awesome roads now.

Anyone knows what the RTO has to say about all this. Are they prepared, or will they be playing catch up to this emerging segment?
VivOverland is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 11:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Loading a pickup truck's bed

One thing for sure - once you buy a pickup truck, everyone in your circle will be calling only you for moving stuff .

Sharing some ideas from Isuzu itself - link (Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)):

I think you should buy an ATV before the kayak. Will be so much fun for the entire family:

GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 13:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Home on wheels:

Loading a pickup truck's bed-azad.jpg

More customization options available at www.azad4x4.com
smartcat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 13:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Home on wheels
Man, this would be the ultimate car for a college kid. All of us had to make do with Padminis & 118NEs that overheated while idling, thus proving to be a distraction when you're - ahem - busy .

The custom pickup you posted would be the ultimate for a pickup!

Related thread - Hanky Panky car (Which car should I buy?)

And a video from this thread (Mahindra Renault Logan's dig on other cars (Ideal car for love games)):

Too bad VivOverland is already married.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2017 at 14:00.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too bad VivOverland is already married.
Sorry GTO, we'll have to wait for a younger reviewer to come along with a post (and their own car). Not that I'm old, just suffering from an MLC

You're right though; the V-Cross does have space for Hanky, Panky and a few friends.
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Talking Re: Loading a pickup truck's bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Dealers now have a range of product available to meet this demand, and we will see more custom setups given the flexibility inherent to this format of vehicle.
On the Delhi Chandigarh stretch, I came across a Tata Xenon in black color and a Team-BHP sticker too at the back, it literally was loaded with a lot of stuff and probably had everything equipped on it. They make for brilliant expedition vehicles IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Home on wheels:

Attachment 1683773

More customization options available at www.azad4x4.com
I have seen this particular truck at Ambience mall in Gurgaon back in July, it was there on display. The guy there told me that it's a total expense of around 12 lac on the Isuzu to get this one.

Now, I recall a desi arrangement we did once in an XUV, low cost and more comfortable - just fold down the seats from middle and third row and push in a mattress or a thick quilt. It will serve all the purposes and at a lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, this would be the ultimate car for a college kid. All of us had to make do with Padminis & 118NEs that overheated while idling, thus proving to be a distraction when you're - ahem - busy.
GTO got emotional!

Quote:
The custom pickup you posted would be the ultimate for a pickup!

Related thread - Hanky Panky car (Which car should I buy?)

And a video from this thread (Mahindra Renault Logan's dig on other cars (Ideal car for love games)):
That Hanky-Panky car thread is a riot!

Man, you need to take emergency escape part into equation. Since this Isuzu offers no direct access to driver's seat and only option of getting there in case of a hurried escape (trust me, I am 25) is getting out of the vehicle and then get in again, this vehicle can prove to be unsafe. Better will be to get a full size SUV where middle and third rows do fold flat easily, it will give more space, comfort and safety at the same time. Get a 4x4 and go-and-enjoy-anywhere thing is also taken care of.

Spare me guys, my classes ended earlier than usual today And that 12 lac addition to the cost of V Cross doesn't sound like a very good idea to me either. Also I doubt if the canopy will be able to hold on to itself or protect the passengers in case of an overturn or a hard rear hit by a heavy vehicle.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2017 at 17:24. Reason: Removing video link
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 16:53   #7
BHPian

I saw this is another thread - Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road. I thought this would be relevant here as well : )

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4283527
swissknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2017, 18:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Now we know why the suspension blocks were not removed on the vRS. Next stop, the Laura.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2017 at 20:04. Reason: Removing video from quoted post
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote