Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 16:48   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: MH24 aka LATUR
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 941 Times
Default

i know that.

it looks like 16".
the tractor tyres available in india are 12",13" & above 18".

any idea where can i get 16" one?
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:13   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Confusion on Tyre

Hey Guys
I am on the lookout for tyres for my MM550 and have narrowed down to these two variants. Both are Yokohama Geolanders AT-S
  • 1. LT235/85R16 120/116R (E)
  • 2. 275/70R16 114S
I dont understand/ am confused on the following
  1. In tyre no 1 above, why is there LT mentioned at the start of the tyre model. What does that imply
  2. I understand that the numeric like 120/116 R and 114S is the load and speed rating, but in the 1st tyre there is (E) at the end. What does that imply
  3. The 2nd tyre is easy to source and is available in the market around 7300/-. The 1st tyre is not available that easily and is about 1K more expensive than the other. I would like to go for the 235's as they are 1" taller than the 2nd and will fit my army rims easily compared to the 275's
  4. Now, if I spend close to 8.3K on a Yokomaha Geos, would it be more prudent to go for Michelins LTX's which I think should cost about 9k, and if yes what sizes are available in them
Pl help clarify my doubts
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 14:15   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
badboyscad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,439
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Guys
I am on the lookout for tyres for my MM550 and have narrowed down to these two variants. Both are Yokohama Geolanders AT-S
  • 1. LT235/85R16 120/116R (E)
  • 2. 275/70R16 114S
I dont understand/ am confused on the following
  1. In tyre no 1 above, why is there LT mentioned at the start of the tyre model. What does that imply
LT implies the meaning "Light Truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
but in the 1st tyre there is (E) at the end. What does that imply
i guess, E is "load ID" or "load range" of the tire (Ply rating of E is 10 and load pressure is 80psi).

Last edited by badboyscad : 21st January 2009 at 14:22.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 19:00   #244
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
1. LT235/85R16 120/116R (E)
2. 275/70R16 114S

2. The 2nd tyre is easy to source and is available in the market around 7300/-. The 1st tyre is not available that easily and is about 1K more expensive than the other. I would like to go for the 235's as they are 1" taller than the 2nd and will fit my army rims easily compared to the 275's
Harjeev, let me clear about the height of the given sizes..

235/85 R 16 :: the overall height of the tyre is going to be 29.31 inch
275/70 R 16 :: the overall height is going to be 28.83 inch

Which means by fitting the size #1, your Jeep will get better height of .24 inch which is nagligable. However this size is good for your rim also. Do not try to have 275 size on present rims.

Hope I am not confusing you.

All the best.

Naren
93143 92938

Last edited by DesertKing : 21st January 2009 at 19:09.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 19:12   #245
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,488 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Harjeev, let me clear about the height of the given sizes..

235/85 R 16 :: the overall height of the tyre is going to be 29.31 inch
275/70 R 16 :: the overall height is going to be 28.83 inch
Above numbers are not correct, following is the right calculation:

235/85R16 => 235/25.4 * 0.85 * 2 + 16 = 31.72 inch
275/70R16 => 275/25.4 * 0.70 * 2 + 16 = 31.15 inch

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2009 at 19:13.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 19:51   #246
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Above numbers are not correct, following is the right calculation:

235/85R16 => 235/25.4 * 0.85 * 2 + 16 = 31.72 inch
275/70R16 => 275/25.4 * 0.70 * 2 + 16 = 31.15 inch
Dear DK /Samurai,

I think 235/85R16 is best choice for 550 right? Can you just suggest the brand in this size? DK , you had suggested Bridgestone Dueler 694 earlier in this thread and YOKO,BFGoodrich,Michellin(which GTO is using) are another choices. I am bit confused as I need an economical as well as reliable tyre in all of them(including On road drive).

Pls suggest the best one including MRF/Apollo/JK - May be cheaper and easy to get here.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 21:05   #247
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Above numbers are not correct, following is the right calculation:

235/85R16 => 235/25.4 * 0.85 * 2 + 16 = 31.72 inch
275/70R16 => 275/25.4 * 0.70 * 2 + 16 = 31.15 inch
Samurai, thanks for ractifying the mistake. I was using the same formula but by mistake I was deviding by 30 i/o 25.4.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:18   #248
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Dear DK /Samurai,

Which is wider in 235 and 275 ? also pls suggest for right brand as i have mentioned in my earlier post.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:20   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
badboyscad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,439
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Which is wider in 235 and 275 ?
275 is wider.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
also pls suggest for right brand as i have mentioned in my earlier post.
Apart from BFG, yoko and michelin, also take a look at Goodyear and kumho.

The offroad tires that come in the size(235/85/16) that you have asked for are:

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R - Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | Display | Wrangler MT/R

Goodyear wrangler silentarmor - Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | Display | Wrangler SilentArmor

Hankook Dynapro MT rt03 - Welcome To Hankook Tire , http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/RT03.pdf

Kumho Road venture AT KL78

PS : Apollo tires do not have offroad tires of size 235/85/16.

Last edited by badboyscad : 22nd January 2009 at 18:39.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 19:32   #250
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

[quote=badboyscad;1141580]275 is wider.




Apart from BFG, yoko and michelin, also take a look at Goodyear and kumho.

The offroad tires that come in the size(235/85/16) that you have asked for are:

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R - Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | Display | Wrangler MT/R

Goodyear wrangler silentarmor - Goodyear Tires | Find The Right Tire | Display | Wrangler SilentArmor


Kumho Road venture AT KL78


BBS,

Are Kumho tyres available in India? Now I have so many options, I can choose from any of the all above.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:24   #251
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Guys
I am on the lookout for tyres for my MM550 and have narrowed down to these two variants. Both are Yokohama Geolanders AT-S
  • 1. LT235/85R16 120/116R (E)
  • 2. 275/70R16 114S
I dont understand/ am confused on the following
  1. In tyre no 1 above, why is there LT mentioned at the start of the tyre model. What does that imply
  2. I understand that the numeric like 120/116 R and 114S is the load and speed rating, but in the 1st tyre there is (E) at the end. What does that imply
  3. The 2nd tyre is easy to source and is available in the market around 7300/-. The 1st tyre is not available that easily and is about 1K more expensive than the other. I would like to go for the 235's as they are 1" taller than the 2nd and will fit my army rims easily compared to the 275's
  4. Now, if I spend close to 8.3K on a Yokomaha Geos, would it be more prudent to go for Michelins LTX's which I think should cost about 9k, and if yes what sizes are available in them
Pl help clarify my doubts
Guys thanks for the help suggestions in clarifying my doubts.
But the issue is that the 235/85/R16 are not that easily available and whichever Goodyear dealer I call says that they do not stock 275's in 16 inch rims all have ranges in 15" which are of no use to me!
Michelins, though they are the best and are available but cost about 9.5k per tyre.
What should be my best best considering all the above. I have seen several companies have several spec of tyres, but how many of those are available for sale in the indian markets and how manyof us have bought them??
I was interested in the 235/85/R16 purely because they would fit the army rims perfectly and would not baloon like the 275's would as the offset of the army steel rim is 5.5" and 6" is suggested for the 235's

I would like to buy a tyre that should give me a height of atleast 31" as if I wanted to go lower I can always go for 6 x16's NDMS which are 28", widely available and cheap too!!!

Last edited by harjeev : 22nd January 2009 at 23:26.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:45   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
badboyscad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 1,439
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Are Kumho tyres available in India?
I guess you could contact harjeev(or iraghava[our team-bhp tire baghwan]) regarding the kumho tires, because there is a rubicon replica that is being worked upon in his(harjeev's) cousin's garage. That rubicon replica has KUMHO Road Venture MT KL71 tires.

Here is the link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1110956
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:57   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I guess you could contact harjeev(or iraghava[our team-bhp tire baghwan]) regarding the kumho tires, because there is a rubicon replica that is being worked upon in his(harjeev's) cousin's garage. That rubicon replica has KUMHO Road Venture MT KL71 tires.

Here is the link :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1110956
Khumos are available in India but I think the one on the Rubicon lookalike are an import.
I have Khumos 255/65/R16's on my Safari but I would have to check whether these are AT's or highway tyres. Will update in the morning
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 00:10   #254
BHPian
 
Ricky_3007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 381
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Guys thanks for the help suggestions in clarifying my doubts.
But the issue is that the 235/85/R16 are not that easily available and whichever Goodyear dealer I call says that they do not stock 275's in 16 inch rims all have ranges in 15" which are of no use to me!
Michelins, though they are the best and are available but cost about 9.5k per tyre.
What should be my best best considering all the above. I have seen several companies have several spec of tyres, but how many of those are available for sale in the indian markets and how manyof us have bought them??
I was interested in the 235/85/R16 purely because they would fit the army rims perfectly and would not baloon like the 275's would as the offset of the army steel rim is 5.5" and 6" is suggested for the 235's

I would like to buy a tyre that should give me a height of atleast 31" as if I wanted to go lower I can always go for 6 x16's NDMS which are 28", widely available and cheap too!!!

Hi Harjeev,

with you , I also feel 235/85/R16 are the best fit for MM550. Now I will check all possible options in Bridgestone,BFGoodrich,Goodyear,Apollo(Storm),MRF sandgrip etc for these set of tyres .

I think Kumho tyres will give the baloon effect so I dont want 275. But the webpage suggested by BBS shows there are lot of other types which are in Kumho 235/85/R16 also.

Now I have to use my bro's contacts for finding right tyre in 235/85/R16 size. By the way what will happen if 15'' is used in our 550? is it possible to get 235/85/R15 ?
Pls correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 08:55   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

By the way what will happen if 15'' is used in our 550? is it possible to get 235/85/R15 ?
Pls correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Tarkesh
First of all you would have to change the rim as the army rim that we have in the 550, you will not be able to mount the 15" tyres
second these 235/85/15's will reduce the height of the tyre by 1".

If however you decide to change the rims to 15" then you have far more options in Goodyears, Kuhmos etc
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai's Offroad Junkie goes international! Builds offroad track for Mercedes, Hong Kong GTO 4x4 Excursions 12 24th December 2015 14:01
Tubeless tyres on Steel rims RJK Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 185 18th June 2014 16:01
New Tyres and rims ... urgent bamboo Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 39 16th November 2007 20:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks