Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 16th January 2008, 22:36   #31
BHPian

they mean that you can shift from 2hi to 4 hi while the vehicle is moving I think upto 60 kmph. In olden days you had to stop as the front prop shaft was driven and engaged by a dog clutch. These days there is a clutch that engages it
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 09:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
Can you please confirm if the body roll is indeed lesser compared to a 2WD? This is a big thing for me as my kid gets motion sickness and i cant have her throwing up every time i would take out the vehicle...
Lol Amit, unless you are doing 3 digit speeds & weaving from left to right or flying over speed breakers, I don't think you need to worry about body roll & your kid throwing up. In any case, that shouldn't be the reason for buying a 4x4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When the Tata guys say shift on the fly Bosch Wargner Transfer case, what do they mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
they mean that you can shift from 2hi to 4 hi while the vehicle is moving I think upto 60 kmph. In olden days you had to stop as the front prop shaft was driven and engaged by a dog clutch. These days there is a clutch that engages it
Exactly! For engaging 4L though, you need to stop. However, behemoths like the Endeavour still do not have this mechanism & you have to stop to engage 4H
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:20   #33
BHPian

[quote=suman;691255]Lol Amit, unless you are doing 3 digit speeds & weaving from left to right or flying over speed breakers, I don't think you need to worry about body roll & your kid throwing up. In any case, that shouldn't be the reason for buying a 4x4!

Thanks for this reassurance..i was actually quite concerned with Endeavour drive that i had done... if the safari behaves much better, then its a good thing for me
originalamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 14:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
No, they don,t. They do not have unlockable hubs, so the front wheels keep turning the driveshaft. The driveshaft will not be engaged with the transmission in the TCase in 4x2, ie normal road use.
I do not understand much of 4x4 lingo because I have always read about it never seen these hubs and all so excuse me if i wasn't clear in what I wrote. What I was asking was that evertytime I have seen these Stalion trucks, I see that front propeller shaft is rotating. So are they on 4x4 or 4x2 ?
austere_sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 15:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
Thanks for this reassurance..i was actually quite concerned with Endeavour drive that i had done... if the safari behaves much better, then its a good thing for me
Well, the Safari's ride is leagues ahead of the Endeavour, particularly the middle row comfort. Its like having your favorite drawing room sofa plonked in.

Although I don't use the middle row much, my kids swear by it & I've tested it out before I bought it (I was a die-hard Endy follower till common sense prevailed) & trust me - there's no comparo
Old 17th January 2008, 15:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I do not understand much of 4x4 lingo because I have always read about it never seen these hubs and all so excuse me if i wasn't clear in what I wrote. What I was asking was that evertytime I have seen these Stalion trucks, I see that front propeller shaft is rotating. So are they on 4x4 or 4x2 ?

Sir, They are 4x4s running in 4x2 mode. Just like how the front wheels of a cycle spin when on the road even though you are pedaling only the rear wheel, the front tires rotate as the vehicle moves.

The rotating front tires move the gears in the differential in the front axle which in turn rotates the front propeller shaft . But the front propeller shaft is disengaged from the main gear box power through the transfer case , so even though the front prop shaft is rotating , it is not rotating because of the engine power but because it is rotated by the front wheels.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 17:09   #37
BHPian

One word of caution with the Safari 4x4: If one does not engage the electric TCase for a while, the motor tends to get stuck. I know a couple of cases where 4x4 was not engaged for over a year and it got stuck in 4x2.
Alfa_Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 17:38   #38
BHPian

@rrnsss

you are the 4WD guru .

My memories from my 3.0L Safari4x4 :

- LSD operates between the wheels of the same axle
- Safari4x4 does not have a third diff. The front & rear prop shafts turn at the same speed.
- Due to this, there HAS to be slippage between front and rear axles as the wheels all rotate at different speeds when you turn. If you drive in an exact straight line with 4WD on metalled road, you wont have an issue.
- Safari4x4 comes with automatic front hub locks which are engaged when you select 4WD. When you return to 2WD, you are supposed to drive in reverse gear for a few meters. That releases the hub locks and allows front wheels to spin free. Vice versa if you engage 4WD in reverse.
- Just a few KM is enough to destroy your diffs and tranny if you engage 4WD on hard surfaces.
- Mud, gravel, sand, loose earth, grass are all good for the 4WD. In fact, you can hear the wheels slipping if you lean your head out of the car.
- Safari uses a Borg Warner transfer case. That is an electrically operated gearbox which engages the front diff to the main gearbox when you engage 4WD. Can be engaged while you are driving.
- Safari body roll is mainly noticed by the driver. The passengers get a very comfy ride. I suspect that Tata stiffened the suspension on the 4x4 version, my family did not complain about body roll even at speed.

The Safari4x4 comes with a prominent dire warning sticker about 4WD on hard surface on the windshield.
Hmmmmmm.. I DO miss that beast..

Last edited by nitinbhag : 17th January 2008 at 17:42.
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 17:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Looks like there are a few Safari offroaders in here.
I once got a Safari 4x2 mildly stuck. Just a little bit sand on an inclined surface, one wheel got free, and spun uselessly and the vehicle did not budge an inch.
A lighter car like a santro would have glided over that terrain(It was just some loose sand).
I guess if front wheels get locked in 4WD mode, it will make for a capable off roader.

Anyways nice thread, I always wanted to know about the details of the Safari 4WD system. The only 4WD I have driven is the Gypsy King. It had a warning for 4L on metalled roads and did not say anything about 4H on metalled roads.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 18:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag View Post
Safari body roll is mainly noticed by the driver. The passengers get a very comfy ride. I suspect that Tata stiffened the suspension on the 4x4 version, my family did not complain about body roll even at speed.
You could be right because there are so many occasions when I ask guiltily if they're OK "back there" after I've gone over an undulating patch at 3 digit speeds & I'm told "yeah, why?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag View Post
Hmmmmmm.. I DO miss that beast..
Heh-heh, I kinda understand how you feel
Old 17th January 2008, 20:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

[QUOTE Thanks for this reassurance..i was actually quite concerned with Endeavour drive that i had done... if the safari behaves much better, then its a good thing for me [/quote]

I have a DICOR 3.0 4WD. The 4WD Safari definitely has a firmer ride than the 2WD. The 2WD is much more pliant and feels better to travel in.
The 4WD definitely has less body roll.
However, all Safaris' have that gentle bobbing even on good roads, which can make any person who has a weak stomach, get car sick. Ask my wife, my 9 year old son and my 2 year old daughter!!!!!
I would suggest a small trip on a friends Safari, in the rear seat, before you decide.

Last edited by jyobeb : 17th January 2008 at 20:08.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 10:49   #42
BHPian

Man, this was an eye opener! I thought the 4x4 option was not only meant to get you outa sticky situations, but also to add more power. For instance, when you're going uphill. But from this discussion, it looks like if you're going uphill on dry roads, you're screwed too. So unless you're really planning to do some serious offroading, a 2WD should suffice.
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 10:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt say on "good roads" but on potholes and speed breakers it does rock a bit, but there is also a trick to avoid it too. There's a sweet point in the suspension.

Yes, if you drive too slow over them, you will feel the rocking, you anyways cant drive too fast , but if you keep arpund 25-35, you wont feel any of it, its smooth sailing (dont try this on the big breakers, rumblers is still ok)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
However, all Safaris' have that gentle bobbing even on good roads, which can make any person who has a weak stomach, get car sick. Ask my wife, my 9 year old son and my 2 year old daughter!!!!!
I would suggest a small trip on a friends Safari, in the rear seat, before you decide.

Last edited by dadu : 18th January 2008 at 10:55.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 14:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Man, this was an eye opener! I thought the 4x4 option was not only meant to get you outa sticky situations, but also to add more power. For instance, when you're going uphill.
I'd say you'd need it only when you are going up or down a very steep incline - YES! You would use 4L.

All the damage etc is when you are doing it over long distances at a stretch and that's very unlikely during hill climbs
Old 19th January 2008, 13:42   #45
BHPian

So which is more capable off the road .

A) A 4wd with front and rear diff. only
B) A 4wd with front, rear and central diff.

Pardon if obvious,..still wanted to know from the experts !!
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote