Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 11th June 2008, 17:31   #16
BANNED

We are going .

Where is the thread starter. Rajan boss where are u?
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 17:42   #17
BHPian

Hi all,
for those wich the thread is not yet clear, is definitely about carryng a air compressor system on board. Is not only for the tires, but you can use it if you have an ARB airlocker on your differential. That locker works with 6bar compressed air. It is also very useful for cleaning a lot of things, especially radiator, rims, air filter anything you can think of.
I was planning to use an electric coompressor with a tank. I already change my mind. I have the tank, the filters and the hoses system but I'll go with a compressor made out of an old aircon unit, it is more efficient and capable of running air tools too.
If interested will post more details about what I'm planning to use.
Ciao

Ignazio
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 19:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dude! are you talking about CTIS, centre tyre inflation system. used in Humvees etc.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 20:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even I have a portable inflator, which comes in handy with tubeless tyres.
Same here! Got one of those small pumps from ebay.in! Very Very handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
...If interested will post more details about what I'm planning to use...

why this question! Bring 'em on, mate!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 15:37   #20
BHPian

Ignazio, yes you got it right.. thats what i was reffering to, its very common for off roaders to use such a system.

The basic systems includes a compressor, pressure activated switch to control the electric compressor, air tank, filters to remove moisture from the compressed air, and hoses and adapter for different applications.

If you use the battery operated cheap small compressor to inflate one tire, it will take 15 min per tire. the same compressor with an air tank connected with valves and an pressure activated electrical switch ( to maintain air pressure in the tank) will make a huge improvement.

Siralec, no, not the one you mentioned (CTIS) thats way off what I had in mind. Thats used in specific motor races like baja racing. totally different ball game.

@ others who made fun of it, no issues, it was a good laugh
pvrajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 04:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Here are two threads with some more information :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...appy-them.html (Cheap and decent gauge and pump-very happy with them)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...foot-pump.html (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 02:06   #22
BHPian

I built a 12 volt air compressor for my Indian camper project; Itís a 220V compressor with the motor swapped for a converted 12VDC starter motor. Tank from a Leyland truck.
I cooked the reed valve on the compressor head, as the starter motor was just overpowering it; so I added heat protection switches that cut the power to the relay when the head gets too hot.
I mainly wanted it for the horn; the original Beep beep horn sounded like a car. Hella airhorns were ok, but soon died in the Indian climate.
Now it sounds like a tata truck; and folks step off the road as I approach.

Yes, I have used it as mentioned in this thread, to re-inflate after deflating my tires [Iím American, we spell it TIRE, like before going to bed] to cross soft ground, even though I do not have 4WD.
It draws a lot of current! About 70A as I recall. Pressure is 10 bar, or 150 psi. It has an unloader valve, but that motor would probably start without one.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 09:52   #23
BHPian

I remember reading in some suzuki forums regarding a cheap on board air set up.
It involved using a scrap A.C compressor to produce compressed air.
The AC compressor is fitted in the engine bay and mechanically coupled to the crankshaft pulley just like alternator or P.S pump by a belt drive.
The compressor clutch is controlled by a pressure switch fitted to the air reservoir which kicks in when the pressure gets low the reservoir, thus maintaining a preset pressure output.

The system can be used to operate pneumatic differential locks, pneumatic tools and of course to inflate tyres.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 12:29   #24
BHPian

A problem with using an AC compressor is that the intake goes right into the crankcase, ans they expel thier oil with the compressed gas; in a closed loop AC system, that works fine, but as an air compressor, you'll need to keep the oil in the pump, [slightly hard] and filter thr intake air very well [not hard].
Scrap ones? in India? well, I've been away for a while.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:02   #25
BHPian

found info. on another site.
there is an inline oiler added in the circuit to lubricate the compressor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf On-Board Air.pdf (243.3 KB, 792 views)
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote