Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 21st July 2008, 23:53   #1
sat
BHPian

Default sand/mud boards for 4x4 - are they available in India.

Wonder if sand/mud boards can be purchased in India. I need these in case I get stuck in muddy terrain .....

I gather these are also referred to as Airborne sand sheets (made of aluminium & steel.

AMR-Outdoorwelt - Bergehilfen, Sandboards, Aluminium Sandbleche, Stahl Sandbleche, Gfk Sandblech, Luftlandebleche, Anfahrhilfen uvm. für den harten Offroad-Einsatz

Translated version of http://www.amr-outdoorwelt.de/Sandboards/

sat....
sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 00:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sand quarry trucks use them all the time here.
This is should be easy to source.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 01:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am quite intersted. pleas share info nitrous bhai.

lovely sig

I am planning to keep them handy when one plans to do crazy places like ladakh etyadi where this can be of help, even for small cars. What say?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Wonder if sand/mud boards can be purchased in India. I need these in case I get stuck in muddy terrain .....

Yes, when you are trying to get across a washed out road or a very muddy local area this could be very useful e.g. on the road to Ladakh.

I was thinking of having a local guy fabricate one or two out of steel. It should be about a meter long, as wide as a tyre or just a little more and sort of like a ladder but with many more rungs placed about 4 centimeters apart.

I have also seen people use pieces of old carpet for this purpose. If it is an old piece of carpet you do not care about and it gets really encrusted with mud, you can just leave it behind for the next guy to use.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 22nd July 2008 at 07:37. Reason: @@
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

One can easily build something like this with say 5 mm thick steel plate ,1 -1.5 meter long, and thick width of the plate will depend on the tire width, , you will have to drill hole in it so that it lighten up and also give strength to the plate, the hole have be at least 50mm dia, A 12 mm broad steel plate can be welded to the sides of this so that it give more stiffness to the plate [it form a I-section ]and also keep the tires on the plate and pervent them from slipping off the plate
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:01   #6
BHPian

you might also want to use the traditional jute gunny bags. They work equally well and are also cost effective.
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
you might also want to use the traditional jute gunny bags. They work equally well and are also cost effective.
Great idea! They will bio-degrade, too, if you want to leave them behind.
Old 1st January 2009, 08:51   #8
BHPian

Hi Sat, I am also from Rajasthan (Jodhpur) and a few year back I have seen many Sand Sheets/plates which are made of iron and having big holes in it. I have mainly seen them on the trucks who carry stones. The measurement of that sheet is aprox 18 inch x 5.5 feet, they are very strong and even can be used for a loaded truck. PM me or give me a call if you are intrested in those stuff and I will be pleased to source you those.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would imagine you all have welders living close to your home or work place, the kind of guys who make gates and do odd jobs. It should be easy for them to fab one or two up for you to your specs. They could be made with bolt holes so they can be tightened down inside a jeep for rattle free storage.