Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 24th October 2008, 19:30   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I never imagined I would carefully read almost all threads in the 4x4 section and then post in a modification thread.

What are the modifications recommended for a Safari DiCOR 3.0? Experts who have been with me on OTRs say - higher GC and A/T tyres. While the latter is easier to implement, I would like some guidance on the first. How does one go about acquiring higher GC on a Safari in India?

The running boards have to go to - but what are the alternatives to still allow elderly people to get in & out easily? Other than a stool in the boot?
Hrishi, welcome to the world of 4x4. Now it's an official welcome :-)

1: When you look for A/T tyres, see what is the maximum you can upsize to. this will automatically increase your GC. I don't think there is any other wau to address the GC issue in a safari. (It's the GC + the body length that makes thing complicated). You may have to do some grinding/hacking of the wheel wells for an upsize -- not sure.

2: Stool is the best option. Don;t even try anything else on the sides. In serious terrains (for example in some parts of the bidadi area) anything on your sides will take a hit.

Best of luck. It's soo nice to see a safari perform in 4x4 terrain

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 22:09   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A friend has just picked up a new Tata TL 4x4 crew cab. The one area which needs improvement is engine power. This is the old Sierra unit, turbocharged. Any ideas how the power can be boosted further. I don't know much about turbo units but can it be adjusted to kick in at say 1500 rpm instead of the 2200 it presently does?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 23:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A friend has just picked up a new Tata TL 4x4 crew cab. The one area which needs improvement is engine power. This is the old Sierra unit, turbocharged. Any ideas how the power can be boosted further. I don't know much about turbo units but can it be adjusted to kick in at say 1500 rpm instead of the 2200 it presently does?
In Italy they sell the Xenon and the TL, i.e Xenon has not replaced the TL. Both models are on sale. The TL however has been upgraded to the 2.2 L engine. I wish they would do that in India. The TL with the Turbo 2.0 is underpowered and suffers from Turbo lag. Not sure if Peta has some options for Turbo 2.0L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
What are the modifications recommended for a Safari DiCOR 3.0? Experts who have been with me on OTRs say - higher GC and A/T tyres. While the latter is easier to implement, I would like some guidance on the first. How does one go about acquiring higher GC on a Safari in India?
See my response in another thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ml#post1006330

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2009 at 16:40. Reason: Old posts merged.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 02:33   #19
BHPian

I have one question regarding the alternator of Gypsy King 99, I was just thinking if i run all the electonics in my gypsy at same time will the stock alternator be able to handle the load or i have replace it with safari alternator. I am listing the load points :

1) Front head lights , think they are 55W each(will draw ~9 Amp)
2) LightForce Blitz 240 9", rated at 100W each (will draw ~16Amp)
3)A.C(no clue regarding power comsumption)
4)Music system which includes 4 speakers ,12" woofer and Alpine amplifier.
5)Cooling coil fan
6)Radiator fan

What i read on internet is that gypsy 410w has 35 Amp alternator at 3000rpm, which i think will produce around 28Amp on 2000 RPM.

Any suggestions if i need to upgrade the alternator/Battery.

Amar
Amar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 14:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

What do we use for serious offroad in India. usually a Jeep CJ3B or MM540 or Gypsy.

Performance modifications in these can be easily done.

Suspension.

Nitro shockers and heavy duty coil springs can be installed in both. In Jeeps you dont really need heavy duty as extra leaf springs can be fitted and the present set can be retensioned.

Tyres

NDMS are the best for Jeeps off road. For Gypsy the Bridestone Dueler AT 693 is now available in India. It came as OE on my Xylo, its a waste there but it is a very capable off road tyre. MRF Zigma and Wandrer are also good and the Bridestone Dueler MT would do fine.

Oversize tyres make the gearing taller. DO not go for more than one size upgrade. This matters off road.

Power.

Simple law. What goes in, comes out. Want more power. Install a K & N filter with a pre charger. Intake is modified but exaust too should be enhanced. A banks or fox chrome exaust or if someone fabricates a good exaust locally is recommended. This will enhance the power output by about 10 to 12 bhp.

More power ?

Try heavy duty coil set and cable set.
Use spitfire Iridium or platinum plugs, quadrapolar plugs.
Upgrade the coil to a heavy duty one.

Not enough ?

A strap on booster would help. It is available for Wranglers but I am not sure for Gypsy or Cj3B.

Still not satisfied ? Enter the dangerous zone.

Polish the headers.
Polish the engine head.
Install bigger crank to enhance the compression, increase the travel.
Rebore your engine with the biggest available piston size.

Remember power comes - but engine breakdown and maintainence is frequent here.

Want to be a desperado show off kid ?

Alter the firing order of your engine chamber. Believe me firecrackers will sound and sparks will come out of the exaust. Looks good on TV but keep the tow truck number handy!

Crux of the matter.

Keep a CJ3B or Gypsy well maintained and properly tuned. Chances are that in Indian off road situations you will not need more power or torque unless you are attempting some stunts. Its a different matter altogether then.

Safety

A roll cage and a sparco seat with triple harness would do.

The electricals can be rewired with individual relays like a rally car.

Rescue

Enhance front and rear tow points.

Carry a 10 m rescue strap rated at 1.5 MT.

Ensure there is a winch in at least one of your vehicles.

There is plenty of vegetation in India so a sand ladder is not required unless someone drives in the Jaisalmer dunes. Then too the usual rescue will be a snatch with a tow rope. A Kinetic energy rope would really come in handy here. For rescues on firm ground an ordinary snatch strap with proper shackles is enough.

Wade water ?

Then install a snorkel. tape a plastic sheet to front of your engine grill and you can ford about 1 1/2 ft of water anytime in a Jeep or Gypsy.

Do not cross over 1 ft of Water in a Pajero. The Air intake slot is low here. Carry an ordinary hose to fix on the exaust and tie it on the tailgate to elevate the exaust level for emergency crossing only.

This should be good for plenty of offroading in any situation in India. All this is for normal offroading, we are not attemting what is there in the pictures below!

Best regards,

Shahid
Attached Thumbnails
Mechanical upgrades for Indian vehicles for enhanced offroad performance-lee-007.jpg  

Mechanical upgrades for Indian vehicles for enhanced offroad performance-lee-006.jpg  

Last edited by desertfox : 18th June 2009 at 14:42.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I have one question regarding the alternator of Gypsy King 99, I was just thinking if i run all the electonics in my gypsy at same time will the stock alternator be able to handle the load or i have replace it with safari alternator. I am listing the load points :

1) Front head lights , think they are 55W each(will draw ~9 Amp)
2) LightForce Blitz 240 9", rated at 100W each (will draw ~16Amp)
3)A.C(no clue regarding power comsumption)
4)Music system which includes 4 speakers ,12" woofer and Alpine amplifier.
5)Cooling coil fan
6)Radiator fan

What i read on internet is that gypsy 410w has 35 Amp alternator at 3000rpm, which i think will produce around 28Amp on 2000 RPM.

Any suggestions if i need to upgrade the alternator/Battery.

Amar

Suggestion's please, as the mechanical work on my gypsy is finishing soon, and i have to provide changes if required ASAP.

Amar
Amar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 17:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

How many watts in the alternator, not how man amps it can generate. A Prado alternator is 750 Watts. A Gypsy one should be close to 450 - 500 watts rated.
Old 19th June 2009, 19:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Suggestion's please, as the mechanical work on my gypsy is finishing soon, and i have to provide changes if required ASAP.

Amar
Add up your total watts used by all your devices. Divide the total watts by 12.5 or 13. This is the volts a healthy charging system outputs. The result of this division will give you the total amps you are using. With the amp result get an alternator that will output at least 10% more amps than this. This will give you a margin for error and some room to add more electrical stuff. Get the amp output figure of the alternator from the dealer on whether the amp output is at idle or with the motor revving. A faster motor will of course produce more amps from the alternator. NEVER plan on drawing amps from the battery to run your stuff. This will shorten battery life unless you add a second "deep cycle battery" which is designed for discharge and recharge.

Lets say your total watts is 520. Divide this by 13. This gives you 40 amps. You need about a 50 amp alternator or thereabouts. But check whether the amps of the alt is at idle or with motor revving.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 19th June 2009 at 19:05.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 00:50   #24
BHPian

Default Re: Mechanical upgrades for Indian vehicles for enhanced offroad performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
What do we use for serious offroad in India. usually a Jeep CJ3B or MM540 or Gypsy.

Performance modifications in these can be easily done.

Suspension.

Nitro shockers and heavy duty coil springs can be installed in both. In Jeeps you dont really need heavy duty as extra leaf springs can be fitted and the present set can be retensioned.

Tyres

NDMS are the best for Jeeps off road. For Gypsy the Bridestone Dueler AT 693 is now available in India. It came as OE on my Xylo, its a waste there but it is a very capable off road tyre. MRF Zigma and Wandrer are also good and the Bridestone Dueler MT would do fine.

Oversize tyres make the gearing taller. DO not go for more than one size upgrade. This matters off road.

Power.

Simple law. What goes in, comes out. Want more power. Install a K & N filter with a pre charger. Intake is modified but exaust too should be enhanced. A banks or fox chrome exaust or if someone fabricates a good exaust locally is recommended. This will enhance the power output by about 10 to 12 bhp.

More power ?

Try heavy duty coil set and cable set.
Use spitfire Iridium or platinum plugs, quadrapolar plugs.
Upgrade the coil to a heavy duty one.

Not enough ?

A strap on booster would help. It is available for Wranglers but I am not sure for Gypsy or Cj3B.

Still not satisfied ? Enter the dangerous zone.

Polish the headers.
Polish the engine head.
Install bigger crank to enhance the compression, increase the travel.
Rebore your engine with the biggest available piston size.

Remember power comes - but engine breakdown and maintainence is frequent here.

Want to be a desperado show off kid ?

Alter the firing order of your engine chamber. Believe me firecrackers will sound and sparks will come out of the exaust. Looks good on TV but keep the tow truck number handy!

Crux of the matter.

Keep a CJ3B or Gypsy well maintained and properly tuned. Chances are that in Indian off road situations you will not need more power or torque unless you are attempting some stunts. Its a different matter altogether then.

Safety

A roll cage and a sparco seat with triple harness would do.

The electricals can be rewired with individual relays like a rally car.

Rescue

Enhance front and rear tow points.

Carry a 10 m rescue strap rated at 1.5 MT.

Ensure there is a winch in at least one of your vehicles.

There is plenty of vegetation in India so a sand ladder is not required unless someone drives in the Jaisalmer dunes. Then too the usual rescue will be a snatch with a tow rope. A Kinetic energy rope would really come in handy here. For rescues on firm ground an ordinary snatch strap with proper shackles is enough.

Wade water ?

Then install a snorkel. tape a plastic sheet to front of your engine grill and you can ford about 1 1/2 ft of water anytime in a Jeep or Gypsy.

Do not cross over 1 ft of Water in a Pajero. The Air intake slot is low here. Carry an ordinary hose to fix on the exaust and tie it on the tailgate to elevate the exaust level for emergency crossing only.

This should be good for plenty of offroading in any situation in India. All this is for normal offroading, we are not attemting what is there in the pictures below!

Best regards,

Shahid
Is that Leander Paes in the last photo?
2legit2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 15:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mechanical upgrades for Indian vehicles for enhanced offroad performance

Yes lee and me are old buddies from our school tennis days. This event might have coincided with the Dubai tennis open. Must have been a March 2nd or 1st week.

He loves off roading so much. Even rescueing wranglers on the night before a match day!

Professional tennis is lots of money involved. I keep telling him not to come offroad during the match days but who listens and who cares ? Thats lee for you.