Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 29th September 2008, 06:27   #46
BHPian

khan bro.. your gypsy is evolving nicely. Looks like it can make some clean exists now. It would look meaner without those rear seats and without the spare wheel on the door (just my thoughts).

Now you have raised the expectations,so the tyres are defenetly not matching your offroad spirits ( just a rude way of motivating you to get some mudders

Thats a good idea to have a connect/disconnect sway bar but i think its really not needed for the gypsy. By getting rid of it, it has more advantages (offroad) than the little noticeable difference on the road. Only on the coil sprung ones it gets a bit scary on the road. Well thats my lil experience with it not a verdict
Motocoorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 11:45   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
.... a role cage in yellow across your rear area ...The orange business is two steel traction boards, one hanging from the roll cage on each side. ....
DD, :-). You just posted mods that are some 3-4 mods away in my list. A 'redesigned' rear is on the to-do list and it would include provision for 'traction boards', water storage, hi-lift jack storage, tow-rope etc etc...

Quote:
... I also suggest you remove that "mother-in-law-leave-her-out-in-the-rain-and-make-her-cry" rear seat, to make room for gear and DUFFLE.
DD, the seat stays for now -- till the rear redesign mod project kicks off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
... I love the way it came out, and that to without adding any additional stress on the frame. Thanks for sharing the work, Khan sahab
My pleasure Bikram sir. I also want the mods to progress in the manner that put least amount of stress on the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
...your fuel tank is now very vulnerable in case of rear end collision. .... Looks like the only thing protecting it now is your registration plate.
Agree 100%. Immediate action item on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocoorg View Post
.... Looks like it can make some clean exists now.
You bet. I was in Sakleshpur and I could attack terrains in reverse and make some clean exists. And yes, I did see fellow Gypsy's rear bottoming out at same places. In one place I was able to do a ~4 ft near vertical solid mud climb in reverse. There was NO way I could have even attempted it with my normal length Gypsy

Quote:
.. It would look meaner without those rear seats and without the spare wheel on the door (just my thoughts).
hahahaha. So you want me to make it just like your old Gypsy that Prithvi had. These things stay for now, till the time I do a thinking on how the final rear area needs to look like.

Quote:
.. Now you have raised the expectations,so the tyres are defenetly not matching your offroad spirits
I agree but no money sir. . It would require hanging the wheels as well.

Quote:
... Thats a good idea to have a connect/disconnect sway bar but i think its really not needed for the gypsy. By getting rid of it, it has more advantages (offroad) than the little noticeable difference on the road. Only on the coil sprung ones it gets a bit scary on the road. Well thats my lil experience with it not a verdict
I Agree. After driving some 600 kms on road and an OTR I am happy that I did good riddance to the sway bar.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 12:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Nice work Shanavaz, The rear seats HAVE to go IMO!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 13:12   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nice work Shanavaz, The rear seats HAVE to go IMO!
Thanks Vikram. Your inputs helped a LOT. It was your Gypsy mod that 're-ignited' my mod. I owe you one chilled can of 330 ml KF Premium now .

The rear seats stay for now sir. They get removed once the 'rear redesign' project kicks off. Till then they remain where they are . (but yes, in the long run they will go away.)
Old 29th September 2008, 14:23   #50
BHPian

K_S Looking really good!!

Whats next on the list? You may want to look at Calmini/ARB lookalike rock sliders, bumpers & underbody guards.
rmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 11:41   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I Agree. After driving some 600 kms on road and an OTR I am happy that I did good riddance to the sway bar.
Hi Shanawaz, I am planning to get the rear chopped of on my gypsy as well. You pics and post is extreamly helpful.

Can you please explain what the sway bar does and how it is helpful in OTR to have it removed. I am not familiar with technical stuff. I am only a novice.

Thanks
Ankit
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 11:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
what the sway bar does and how it is helpful in OTR to have it removed.
Sway bar is nothing but the anti-roll bar. It reduces the body roll of the vehicle while cornering and is good for on-road driving, but it also reduces the wheel articulation which is very much important for off-roading. Lesser wheel articulation may lead to vehicle roll over under serious off-road terrain.

Removing the sway bar will increase the off-road handling(by increasing the wheel articulation) and reduce the on-road handling of the vehicle.

Last edited by badboyscad : 28th January 2009 at 12:00.
badboyscad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 12:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Removing the sway bar will increase the off-road handling(by increasing the wheel articulation) and reduce the on-road handling of the vehicle.
You get sway-bars that can be disconnected while going off-road. I didnt know these were called sway-bars until very recently, though.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 12:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Sway bar is nothing but the anti-roll bar. It reduces the body roll of the vehicle while cornering and is good for on-road driving, but it also reduces the wheel articulation which is very much important for off-roading. Lesser wheel articulation may lead to vehicle roll over under serious off-road terrain.

Thanks badboyscad!

Is this the bar that can be seen undeneath the vehicle just behind the bumber going from one side to the other?

Any pics for clarity as i plan to get this removed?
GoSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 14:08   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
... Is this the bar that can be seen undeneath the vehicle just behind the bumber going from one side to the other?

Any pics for clarity as i plan to get this removed?
Yes. That's the one.

My friend, be careful before you remove this and do understand what you are getting into.

Removing the sway-bar will FOR SURE increase the body roll during your highway driving. I hope you understand what you are getting into. Do think again before you do that.

My advise is that DON'T do mods just because someone else have done them or you have read/heard good things about them. Do mods ONLY which you understand fully and are comfortable with.

Even 'removing the rear overhang' has issues of your chassis number going for a toss. So you can take a guess now of what it means.

Cheers,
Old 28th January 2009, 14:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
reduces the wheel articulation which is very much important for off-roading. Lesser wheel articulation may lead to vehicle roll over under serious off-road terrain.
Not true Sir, Not true at all. If one follows the basics of physics, even the most challenging terrain could be handled beautifully!

IMO, The wheel articulation is of no use if it cant transfer the power generated.

For Instance, Imagine the scenario:

Rear right wheel stuck 3/4th in loose clayey soil and the front left wheel is just about touching the ground [This is because of the wheel articulation, else it will be in the air]. The front right is also dug up to 1" below the wheel arch. The rear left is in air.

Now, do you think that the gypsy can come out by engaging 4L-1st gear?

Cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 12:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ok, since many of you wanted pictures, here they are. (Please ignore the paint work. That's a pending task):

Attachment 53033

And this should give you a perspective on how much length has been reduced. This picture is from 2007 Coorg OTR showing the original length
Attachment 53048

Attachment 53034

This should give an idea of from where it has been cut.
Attachment 53036

Attachment 53037

Attachment 53038

I had wanted the fuel filling pipe to remain as it (Circular). Didn't want any thing to be done there. If you can compromise here a bit, the length can be further reduced by ~1 inch
Attachment 53039

Notice that the 'anti sway bar' has also been removed from the front.
Attachment 53035
hmmm, looks intresting. khan bhai i must meet you atleast once, always great to meet some offroad champs.
whitemm550 is offline   Reply With Quote