Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 12:39   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,858 Times
Default re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Car had no repaint. Had holes in the floor though for water drainage - factory done with plugs.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 20:14   #77
BHPian
 
Cj3bDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 76
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Tejas & GTO,

The jeep drives tight and engine sounds well, except for the below concerns:
  1. The tow hook on the right side of the winch plate is missing
  2. Radiator has been changed to the one in Mahindra Marshal (don't know if it is a good decision or not)
  3. It is claimed to be driven 140000 KM.
  4. If the radiator has been changed, what does it says about engine, has it been rebuilt? Though the seller claims that it is still running on the factory built. How to conclude that.
  5. The rear door which on GTO's jeep opens from Left to right (with twisting handle) seems like has been changed. The knob for opening gives an impression that it opens right to left unlike Left to right of GTO's jeep. Should that be an alarm
  6. The vibrations and wobble does exist which can be related to spoke wheels and bald tyres.
  7. If I buy this the first thing I would do is put gypsy rims and 215-75-15 tyres (Yokohama, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.)
  8. The body line appear all intact.
  9. What do you feel would be a good deal for both the buyer and seller.

Regards
Cj3bDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 11:24   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,140
Thanked: 84,998 Times
Default Re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
The tow hook on the right side of the winch plate is missing
Share a close up pic?

Quote:
Radiator has been changed to the one in Mahindra Marshal (don't know if it is a good decision or not)
I'm on my 3rd radiator (or maybe 4th). Don't worry about non-OEM parts. Every Classic out there is unique. As long as the engine doesn't overheat, it's a good decision .

Quote:
It is claimed to be driven 140000 KM.
My first engine went at exactly that mark.

Quote:
The rear door which on GTO's jeep opens from Left to right (with twisting handle) seems like has been changed. The knob for opening gives an impression that it opens right to left unlike Left to right of GTO's jeep. Should that be an alarm
Nope, again, every Classic owner gives his Jeep unique touches over the years. Some out of preference, some out of necessity. My Classic has:

- A 2.5L engine
- Chrome bars on the side (instead of steps)
- Spare wheel moved a bit to the left
- Bumper corners chopped off
- And many other individual touches

Quote:
The vibrations and wobble does exist which can be related to spoke wheels and bald tyres.
And poor build quality. Mahindra isn't exactly the last word in quality today, and they certainly weren't back in the 90s. Jeeps do need to get work done from time to time.

Quote:
What do you feel would be a good deal for both the buyer and seller.
With such old cars, there is no 'fair' price. Whatever the buyer & seller accept is fair. I keep receiving offers of 2.5 lakhs, 3 lakhs, 4 lakhs, 5 lakhs all the time. IIRC, Tejas' red Classic also went for 5 lakhs (or in the whereabouts).

Let me add that I love / own my Classic because I'm sentimentally attached to her. But if I was looking for a used Jeep today, I'd buy a Thar 10 times out of 10 over a Classic. Unless you are particularly in love with the CJ3B body style, consider the Thar too (bigger, faster, more comfortable etc.).

Now, let's not turn this into a Classic advice thread. Let this discussion focus on the differences between the Classic & CJ340.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 11:35   #79
BHPian
 
kcj3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 142
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
Tejas & GTO,

The jeep drives tight and engine sounds well, except for the below concerns:
  1. The tow hook on the right side of the winch plate is missing
  2. Radiator has been changed to the one in Mahindra Marshal (don't know if it is a good decision or not)
  3. It is claimed to be driven 140000 KM.
  4. If the radiator has been changed, what does it says about engine, has it been rebuilt? Though the seller claims that it is still running on the factory built. How to conclude that.
  5. The rear door which on GTO's jeep opens from Left to right (with twisting handle) seems like has been changed. The knob for opening gives an impression that it opens right to left unlike Left to right of GTO's jeep. Should that be an alarm
  6. The vibrations and wobble does exist which can be related to spoke wheels and bald tyres.
  7. If I buy this the first thing I would do is put gypsy rims and 215-75-15 tyres (Yokohama, Bridgestone, Goodyear etc.)
  8. The body line appear all intact.
  9. What do you feel would be a good deal for both the buyer and seller.
Regards
Hi,

1. 235/75R15 is the correct Upsize, Try Maxxis Tyres easily available in Moti Nagar.
2. The engine may need a rebuild if clocked so many Kilometers on a factory Built.
3. There will be many things missing, mine is missing the hook, hood, Rims, rear seat, hand brake , beat that!
4. The most important and foremost thing to check are the Papers,since all these vehicles have already crossed 15 Years, there is a fair change that Fitness and Road tax is not in order, the new ruling penalises with hefty fines on per day basis crossing the actual value of the vehicle in some cases.
5. In the North , a Classic should go in about 2 to 2.5 lacs of rupees!

regards
kcj3b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 13:05   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 200
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

I checked pictures of my Classic and it also had the water drain holes.

The wind shield or the tail gate rusts over the years and the owner decides to change them as per his own comfort.

As GTO rightly pointed out, If I want to buy a Jeep today I would go for a used Thar then a Classic.

Classic always had the Engine overheating issues and the max speed you can drive was about 80Km/h. Thar is far better option when you consider these things.

Sharing a few pics of the Classic I had.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-1505673_10152363758955272_7675672458758927911_n.jpg  

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-10247394_10152363812140272_8928697362760569216_n.jpg  

Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340-10299155_10152363760440272_1013784901985468339_n.jpg  

Cloud_Chaser is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 16:35   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,140
Thanked: 84,998 Times
Default Re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
The wind shield or the tail gate rusts over the years and the owner decides to change them as per his own comfort.
I don't think there's any part of the vehicle that doesn't rust .

Quote:
Classic always had the Engine overheating issues
I got an oversized radiator from 'Lawrence Radiators', and fitted a good cowl. No overheating at all.

Quote:
and the max speed you can drive was about 80Km/h
Yeah, 80 - 90 kmph tops. And even then, you're hanging on for dear life while your ears are strained by listening to the agricultural engine on the redline.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2017, 19:44   #82
BHPian
 
kcj3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 142
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Mahindra: Difference between a Classic and CJ340

Some quick questions about Mahindra Classic:
1. Why there would be a electronic fuel pump fixed between the diesel tank and fuel filter. It turns on when the ignition switch is switched on? Can the excessive smoke be because of it?
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family Samurai 4x4 Vehicles 1469 6th July 2017 14:42
XD3P or MDI Motor for Mahindra CL / CJ340 mustag 4x4 Technical 58 2nd September 2013 21:32
My Companion...'90 Mahindra CJ340 (with air-con) Suresh Stephen 4x4 Vehicles 12 27th December 2012 22:07
Difference between old engines and new engines (petrol and diesel) srijit Technical Stuff 32 26th January 2011 10:20
diffrence between mahindra classic and mm540 totaloverdoze The Indian Car Scene 4 1st January 2008 17:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:46.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks