Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 2nd April 2011, 11:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Power Steering on an MM540/550 jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
A friend of mine has got the entire assembly from Mumbai for 12-13k. It was around one year back. He got Armada PS kit and installed it on MM540. The PS unit will be behind the front bumper. You can still fix a winch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
DD you can contact JEEPGEORGE from Jeepthrills.
Sree anna, that was Rohan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post

The more expensive option is to buy a Rane Worm and Roller steering box that comes standard on Bolero 4WD vehicles with PS option. These units are hard to source in the used market as they came only one the Armad Grand and Bolero 4WD. In the south the going rate for a used set is about 25K. New set can be purchased from Rane directly for about 32K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

1) Bolero 2WD or 4WD power Steering they use a Hydraulically Assisted Re-Circulating Ball System. Cost -- Rs50K
Arka, are you referring to the Worm and Roller type (Bolero 4WD) as mentioned by Tini (above). Any idea how much does it cost in the second hand market?

Quote:

1) Higher ration hence less steering effort.
Precisely, it is not the higher ratio which is helping. It is the variable ratio which plays a major role here. Have you seen the gear ratio curve of any "variable ratio" steering system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
We have used the Bolero rack and pinion and im going ahead with getting it 4-wheel drived. PS was mated with the pump which was there on the Nissan engine. Haven't met with any problem till date.
Pramod, your power steering is wrongly placed, please see how power steering is mounted in a Bolero or any other similar vehicle. You will have MAJOR reliability issues otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
2. or is the MRCBT is the better option than fitting koyo PS ?
MRCBT will give you peace of mind.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 18:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arka, are you referring to the Worm and Roller type (Bolero 4WD) as mentioned by Tini (above). Any idea how much does it cost in the second hand market?
Brand new one is about 21K for RANE Power Steering box alone. PUmp, hoses etc are additional.

Used one are now available for about 12~15K for box alone. Two in Chennai available if anyone needs. Not sure of the condition of the worm gear though.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 01:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, i just got a Power steering job done on my MM550. The time taken was one day and the job and outcome very satisfactory. Total cost 25k with parts, labour, oil etc. Also guarantee if there are any issues. The PS options were either from a Sumo or a Bolero. The Bolero was more expensive by 6k but was recommended by all whom i contacted. Works like a dream and will do a minor OTR soon to check if everything is ok.
Was also advised to use the Bolero type as all parts were available readily if anything was needed. Its a Rane PS.

Had to cut a bit of the bumper as i wanted a flush fit between the bumper and grill and not on the bumper. This was because i did not want to sacrifice the balance rod set up and did not want to loose the mock parking light holes on the grill.

Kindly check my thread for details, will be updating the thread tomorrow.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...d-vehicle.html (Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle)

Why i need the PS, well mine was going to be essentially an OTR vehicle only till i drove around and decided to add an A/c and use it as a daily drive too. But for OTR i needed to have 10.5x31'' tyre setup, that means either i have to develop arms like Stallone or just get a PS job.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 19:21   #49
BHPian

I am badly looking out for a reliable place to fit PS set up in my Thar Di.

Any suggestions on a reliable place in and around Cochin or Kottayam?

I guess a Bolero Di PS unit should be a better fit in my case?

Where can i source a used one in Kerala?

Cheers!
Asif
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 08:50   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

@aa_asif:

All current 2WD Boleros use the Rack and Pinion type steering with IFS. This cannot be safely/properly installed on your Thar DI. You will need to source a Bolero 4WD box from the earlier Bolero/Armada Grand. Try the used markets in Kottayam/muvatupuza etc.

PM me you number and I can try to help you source one and get it installed.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 21:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
@aa_asif:

All current 2WD Boleros use the Rack and Pinion type steering with IFS. This cannot be safely/properly installed on your Thar DI. You will need to source a Bolero 4WD box from the earlier Bolero/Armada Grand. Try the used markets in Kottayam/muvatupuza etc.

PM me you number and I can try to help you source one and get it installed.
Thanks a ton! PMed you, awaiting your call
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 00:00   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Thanks a ton! PMed you, awaiting your call
Dear aa_asif,

Were you able to get the PS fitting done on your Mahindra Thar DI, I am also looking for buying Thar DI and get PS and AC done. Please do let me know more details and the contact number of people who can do it.

You can msg me at chaudhary.akash@gmail.com

Regards
Akash
chaudhary.akash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 12:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhary.akash View Post
I am also looking for buying Thar DI and get PS and AC done.
Hi Akash, It is much easier to put power steering in Thar DI since no chasis/steering linkage alterations are required. You need to source the following items:

1) Rane Steering Box from the 4WD Aramda/Bolero with XD3P engine.
2) Power Steering pump & Reservoir (This can be sourced from any bolero even 2WD)
3) Power Steering pump clamp from from the 4WD Aramda/Bolero with XD3P engine.
4) All the hoses required.
5) Two slot pulley for the power steering pump belt. (if you are planning ac also then go for a three slot pulley).

The steering box mounts for the Thar DI Manual steering and the Bolero power steering are the same. So the box itself can be mounted very easily.
You will nee do grind of a bit on the timing cover to fix the power steering pump and clamp in the bottom left side (passenger side) of the engine. If your Thar DI is 2WD, you can mount the pump on the right side (driver side) also and you can try to use the OEM clamp from the 2WD Bolero with Power steering.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 15:34   #54
BANNED

Hi all, I am looking for a Bolero box type power steering for my MM550 NGCS. This does not need any alterations because the NGCS already has a manual box type steering.I already have the pump attached to the engine which is an Isuzu 4JB1 TC 2800 cc.The steering has become rather heavy because of the engine weight.The ones available are the Japanese or the rack and pinion type which need alterations to the chassis and the front grill which I don't want to do.Please help me out.
Regards,
hps aulakh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015, 13:38   #55
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I have a 2006 MM550 NGCS. It has a Rane MRCBT steering box. Plan to convert to PS with Rane PS box from a Bolero GLX.
My Queries:
1. What is the change in ratio ?
2. Is is going to be lesser turns lock to lock with the PS box ?
3. Can I have a pic of the pump mount on the XP3P engine?

P.S. Also plan to install an AC compressor (Bracket) on the XD3P.

Thanks in advance.
dieselhead is offline   Reply With Quote