Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 15:17   #151
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Hi Fazal, you really built a great Jeep. Your work on the rear suspention is very unique and along with Vinod and others, I am also waiting to see them in axle twist.

Hi 4x4 loaded, I have already tried a lot to know about fitting a turbo charger on XD3P and understood from some very senier person from Mahindra is that XD3P had an original turbo version but it was never brought to India. Do not try it, the crankshaft material is different, your crankshaft will break like a twig.

If you want to increase the power a bit, you can try for LPG fumigation. Source more info on this from here. LPG Fumigation - Page One | MrSharkey.Com
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 17:10   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Fazal Bhai,

Could you pls give some info?

Tarkesh
Tarkesh,
Yes the bumpy ride is reduced to maximum, the body roll is controlled like I have not experienced in any Jeep, magnificient results.
The leaf is attached the same way like on stock jeeps, only the helper (second set of leaf spring) lower one is half version of the full leaf spring set and is attached till the middle of the full leaf spring set. The height is what we desire, if we want it high or low, the person who did it asked me what height I wanted and and set it accordingly. I thought as we added another leaf spring to the existing it would make the ride rigid and hard, but he said "wait and see". After the job was done words are in sufficent to describe the soft ride inspite to an addition of an extra leaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi Fazal, you really built a great Jeep. Your work on the rear suspention is very unique and along with Vinod and others, I am also waiting to see them in axle twist.
Naren,
Thanks for your appreciation, and yes the leaf spring job done is very unique, though I am not the first in Hyderabad to get this done. There is only guy in India who does this job, who is luckily in Hyderabad. Others here have tried to replicate his work but have failed.
I can vouch for it that every extra penny spent on it is worth it.
Unfortunately the axle flex pics or video I will not be able to post, as I have already delivered the Jeep to my cousin and it now is in Masniagudi, near Ooty.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 01:34   #153
BHPian
 
4x4 loaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 133
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

thanks desert king. can you tell me the difference in performance between XD3P and DI (both turbo and non Turbo)?...today I got to know about a jeep with international engine. i asked him to quate the same with a DI engine. he asked whether is it the DI from marshall or maxx.. can you please let me know the difference.
4x4 loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 04:13   #154
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
thanks desert king. can you tell me the difference in performance between XD3P and DI (both turbo and non Turbo)?...today I got to know about a jeep with international engine. i asked him to quate the same with a DI engine. he asked whether is it the DI from marshall or maxx.. can you please let me know the difference.
MDI super engine 58 bhp @2800 rpm / torque 16.5 kgm@1500 rpm
Di turbo engine 63 BHP @3200 rpm / torque 18kgm@1500-1800 rpm
Bolero XD3p 72bhp @ 4000 rpm / torque 15.3 kgm@2000 rpm
Army MM550 XD3p 76bhp @ 4000 rpm / torque 15.5 kgm@2000 rpm

============================
Engine life ::

Di engine typical life about 2 lakhs (well maintained)
Di turbo modern 2.5 lakhs plus (Well maintained)
XD 3p 1.5 lakh (Well maintained)
============================

Mileage is about 12-13 kmpl for Di turbo and 13-14 kmpl for MDi super in city conditions. Highway- MDI super goes up to 16-17 kmpl , di turbo best gives about 15-16 kmpl.

XD3p boleros are known to give 9 kmpl in city and 13-14 on highway. Add 1 kmpl for MM550 being lighter.
============================

Source - Vinod Nookala
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 05:56   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Also do you think that DI's are more noiser than the other engines too.
Buy they definitely give superb FE...
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 07:05   #156
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 415
Thanked: 546 Times
Default

Hey Fazal, I believe the roll cage was custom build. Is there any way the tube can be bend without those wrinkles? I have head from a local tinker that filling sand in the pipes during the heat and bend process can keep the wrinkles away. Is that correct?
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 17:26   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Hey Fazal, I believe the roll cage was custom build. Is there any way the tube can be bend without those wrinkles? I have head from a local tinker that filling sand in the pipes during the heat and bend process can keep the wrinkles away. Is that correct?
Jose,
What your fabricator says could be right but I have not tried it, then where does the extra metal go when the bend takes place due to compression of the metal ? As the metal is bent in hot or cold conditions one side is streched and the opposite side is compressed due to which the wrinkling takes place... the sand in the tube at best could help in evenly distrubuting of wrinkles is my conclusion. Let me know the results when you get this done.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 18:02   #158
BHPian
 
DesertKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan
Posts: 460
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Fazal, a quick question. Were the pipe bent by the moulding press machine.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 19:29   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Fazal, a quick question. Were the pipe bent by the moulding press machine.
Yes! it was done by the pipe bending contraption.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:05   #160
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 591 Times
Default

i would be checking few wranglers to see if their roll bars have wrinkles at the bends.

im curious about the wrinkles after reading your posts!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:17   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i would be checking few wranglers to see if their roll bars have wrinkles at the bends.

im curious about the wrinkles after reading your posts!
Parm,
There are Jeeps here, I have seen without the ripples / wrinkles.
They cut and weld sectionals to get the 'L' bend at the two right angle area (where the wrinkling happens) and finish it with grinding. I did not have the time as my project was way, way behind schedule, hence couldn't afford this luxury. This is one technique I am aware of to avoid the wrinkling.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:21   #162
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 415
Thanked: 546 Times
Default

Let me be honest here Fazal! I really do believe that the the white and orange MM 540s are the best looking Jeeps of that type I have ever seen...Nothing OTT just kick a** Jeeps. But those wrinkles on the roll cage in the Orange one just don't cut it...Please Please don't do that! Tell your impatient cousin in M'gudi that the guys in TBhp just wouldn't like him drive in that almost perfect Jeep. He'll understand.. trust me!
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 03:35   #163
BHPian
 
4x4 loaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 133
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Thanks a lot desert king. Thats the kind of information I was looking for. By the way you mentioned about the engine life...does that mean that after the life cycle as you mentioned the engines are useless or just needs rework done to run once again smoothly?
4x4 loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 09:50   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 623 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Let me be honest here Fazal! I really do believe that the the white and orange MM 540s are the best looking Jeeps of that type I have ever seen...Nothing OTT just kick a** Jeeps. But those wrinkles on the roll cage in the Orange one just don't cut it...Please Please don't do that! Tell your impatient cousin in M'gudi that the guys in TBhp just wouldn't like him drive in that almost perfect Jeep. He'll understand.. trust me!
Thanks Jose, for your appreciation and kind comments.
I really did not understand, do you want me to get rid of those wrinkles or keep it as they are? Awaiting your clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
Thanks a lot desert king. Thats the kind of information I was looking for. By the way you mentioned about the engine life...does that mean that after the life cycle as you mentioned the engines are useless or just needs rework done to run once again smoothly?
4X4,
No engine in India is useless, here we have the luxury of cheap and available labour, parts.
You can completely overhaul the engine with new parts and do another 1 lakh + kilometers after that.
My serious doubts is, we can never attain the factory precession in an overhauled engine though we may do it with brand new spares,
when you are doing the reboring for new oversized pistons, the man and the machines at the lathe machine shop has to be the best.
This is an example of just one component of many things to be done on an engine overhaul. There are are many who do the job, the difference between a job and a great job is VAST.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 13:23   #165
BHPian
 
josepeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 415
Thanked: 546 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Thanks Jose, for your appreciation and kind comments.
I really did not understand, do you want me to get rid of those wrinkles or keep it as they are? Awaiting your clarification.
Fazal, if the wrinkles can disappear it would make the Jeep much more perfect. That's what I think!
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Punto 90 HP Sports: My Companion. Now, 80000 kms completed! parimal_g Long-Term Ownership Reviews 30 23rd May 2017 19:04
Restoration - 1962 Jawa Type 353 Kyvacka. EDIT : Now Completed! TuffRyder Post-War 194 5th March 2013 09:42
The Story of MIKE - My Ikon Flair 2006 EDIT : Now completed 60,000 kms + New Footwear benbsb29 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 544 17th October 2011 13:07
"Kuch khatta, kuch mitha!!" 'Now completed 1 year, 10,000 km review of my i10 Sportz ulhas.ahirrao Long-Term Ownership Reviews 9 12th January 2011 20:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks