Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 13th February 2009, 15:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, spoke with my cousin this morning and apparently the replacement was delivered etc but the mechanic was not impressed with it so he has started rebuilding the stock engine.

Last edited by bigman : 13th February 2009 at 15:30.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 18:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

The head on the stock engine needs replacing but everything else (excluding fuel pump) appears to be ok.

Gearbox has been removed for overhaul. As with the experience of others who have bought Army MM550s there was water in the gearbox.

Estimate for a brand new head is between RS8K and RS10K. Doe this sound right ?
Old 14th February 2009, 20:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The head on the stock engine needs replacing but everything else (excluding fuel pump) appears to be ok.

Gearbox has been removed for overhaul. As with the experience of others who have bought Army MM550s there was water in the gearbox.

Estimate for a brand new head is between RS8K and RS10K. Doe this sound right ?

Over hauling Head will cost yo maximum 3k with out Cam shaft. price for new head ( bharat) is aroud 12k in kerala

8 - 10 K is a good bargain
toms_2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 00:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

The earlier 8 to 10K estimate was not even close to the real cost of a new head. The local part shops and even the Mahindra dealer want RS22K for a new head .

Also need a new fuel pump. The mechanic thinks it is better to get a bolero XD3P engine from Mayapuri, he said he is going to start it and then remove the head to inspect it before parting with any money. If it is not decent then going for a brand new head. He picked up a couple of fuel pumps yesterday (not yet paid for) which he could use after testing if the Mayapuri engine one is not good enough.

Last edited by bigman : 1st March 2009 at 00:24.
Old 1st March 2009, 10:48   #20
BHPian

have you opened the head? from what ever pic you have posted , it not seems to be required to go for a new head unless its twisted or cracked.

post some pictures of head alone.. 22k is robbery. pm me with your mobile no. will try if i can help
toms_2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:07   #21
BHPian

@bigman
its seems u live in delhi. how did u get the jeep registered in delhi if it doesnt clear the current emission norms( since its 2001 it probably only clears euro 2) also can u tell me more about how to get army disposal vehicles and how much they cost??
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 19:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@bigman
its seems u live in delhi. how did u get the jeep registered in delhi if it doesnt clear the current emission norms( since its 2001 it probably only clears euro 2) also can u tell me more about how to get army disposal vehicles and how much they cost??
Hey buddy
You are right ex-army disposals or auction vehicles can't be registered in and around s 200 kms radius of NCR!!!

Search the forum, there are loads of threads on buying, restoring, registering, etc etc etc army disposals.

That is actually one of the few options that we 4x4 enthusiasts have.
And whenever in doubt, just search in the 4x4 thread and you'll get loads of answers or just ask around!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 10:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Some of you may know but I became the owner of a 2001 MM550 last week (army disposal). I had not started a new thread as I do not have any pictures.

I encountered the first big decision in the rebuild. The mechanic took the engine out etc and had a good look at it. It is not in very good condition and he says it will cost at least RS18K to get it into running condition (fuel pump etc needs work, head is not in good condition etc etc).

However he can get a 2003/4 Bolero XD3P engine which is in excellent working order. The chap want RS12K for it, having studied actuarial science etc my brian tells me it is better (financially) to go for the 2003/4 engine. He says the gearbox/transfer case look fine and they will mate with the new engine without any problems. I will get him to change belts, tensioners etc for peace of mind.

I have asked my cousin to contact a place in Punjab where they buy army disposals to check if they have any later MM550 engines with the 5 speed box.

So please can anyone point out any negatives of going for the 03/04 Bolero engine ? I know the army version has an oil cooler and a few extra bhp but besides that are there any other major differences ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Bigman,

The complete overhaul of an XD3P will cost Rs35-45K. (excluding XD3P Head)

Including Valves/Guides/Springs
Major Gasket Kit
Piston & Rings
Dry Liner
Cam Gear
Timing Chain
Lathe Work
Engine Oil & Sealant.

It is better to rebuild the engine, than picking up something from Mayapuri, for a direct replacement.

You can pick up a post 2004 engine from Mayapuri and cannibalize it for

1) Head
2) Delphi-TVS FIP. (XD3P-2A)

Regards,

Arka

PS - Don't Call the mechanic, go and see for yourself what is wrong with the JEEP.
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 13:48   #24
BHPian

Default Re: MM550 rebuild - new engine ?

Related - but slightly off-topic -

I'm running the XD3P engine without an oil cooler - it was removed based on advise given during the engine rebuild - "removed due to constant leakages etc" -

Some questions :

1 - Is this bad ? How?
2 - Where can I buy one and fit it ?

Thanks in advance
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 16:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Related - but slightly off-topic -

I'm running the XD3P engine without an oil cooler - it was removed based on advise given during the engine rebuild - "removed due to constant leakages etc" -

Some questions :

1 - Is this bad ? How?
2 - Where can I buy one and fit it ?

Thanks in advance
Hi Lugnut,

Where is the constant Leaking from?

i) Head.
ii) Plumbing.
iii) Oil-Cooler.
iii) Water Pump.

Do you have the Oil-Cooler assembly and flange? (from the engine head)

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 21:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Lugnut,

Where is the constant Leaking from?

i) Head.
ii) Plumbing.
iii) Oil-Cooler.
iii) Water Pump.

Do you have the Oil-Cooler assembly and flange? (from the engine head)

Regards,

Arka
Howdy Arka ! -
somehow I missed this -

This was in 'anticipation' of constant leakages ! [apparently]
Checked the whole shebang recently - the whole oil cooler setup was yanked off.

1. The flange was removed and was capped with three bolts at the back of the engine.
2. The water pump-to-oil cooler outlet was capped
3. The oil cooler assembly was replaced with the regular oil filter assembly.

and now I can't even undo any of this until the engine is removed (especially to install the flange) because of low clearance between the firewall and engine [per my 'mech'- who's creds are dubious]

I think it's high time I blew off the head gasket [let 'er rip - eh?]
Can't help shake off the feeling that I'm running the engine handicapped!

Here's the latest :
svsantosh offered a good tip - to cut a 5x5 inch hole in the firewall, fit the flange and close it with 4 bolts - this also allows future access for maintenance if any-

I'm being offered an old [read:used] setup - wanted to check where I buy this new (in mumbai / on order)

Any pointers /advice ?

Thanks!
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote