Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 28th March 2009, 10:50   #61
BHPian

Great progress, guess its taking a lot more time than you expected huh?

I see that you fan is still the plastic one, is it going to be changed at later to the metal one as you had mentioned? Is there any advantage or is it just for the Jeep sound!
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 14:57   #62
BHPian

Default Plastic fan will do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
Great progress, guess its taking a lot more time than you expected huh?

I see that you fan is still the plastic one, is it going to be changed at later to the metal one as you had mentioned? Is there any advantage or is it just for the Jeep sound!
When I got the metal fan, the water pump needed a spacer so that the fan would not hit the dynamo. After I got that done and installed it, the pump started leaking. It took a couple of days of searching to only find out that a new water pump was not easily availble. So, ended up getting a kit to replace the bearing and seal. Got it installed at a lathe to only find out that it shakes. So, I did not want to fit the heavy metal fan and went back to the plastic fan.

In the mean while, my mechanic was able to get an original water pump which is not supposed to have a leak. I need to install that with the metal fan and test it for leaks again.

As far as I know the metal fan is only to make it sound like a real Jeep. I think the plastic fan works better.
gbanavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 15:20   #63
Team-BHP Support

Isnt there too much of gap between fan and the radiator and are you planning to put a shroud around on the radiator to house the fan to make it more efficient?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 00:10   #64
BHPian

Default Have Shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Isnt there too much of gap between fan and the radiator and are you planning to put a shroud around on the radiator to house the fan to make it more efficient?
Jaggu, the metal fan I plan to install is from an international engine and the blades are much wider and it will fill up the gap better. I do have a metal shroud which is painted and ready to be installed after the metal fan is installed.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Great work ganesh!!!
About the tyres and rims how much do the rims cost and are they easily available?
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 17:56   #66
BHPian

Default Tyres & Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great work ganesh!!!
About the tyres and rims how much do the rims cost and are they easily available?
Harjeev, thank you. I was out looking for tyres only. Based on the discussions on the Tyre & Wheel thread, 16" rims are not available in 139.7 PCD. The other option is either to change the hub and drums or get a plate fabricated like Randeep to get to 160 PCD. The easier route is to get 15" Gypsy rims that are available in 139 PCD. I was thinking of PMing Khan and other Bangalore BHPians for good places to get rims from.

As far as tyres, I have narrowed it down to Michelins or BF Goodrich - the size to pick is a whole another matter. Here is the quote I got from the 1st place I visited called General Tyres on JC road in Bangalore.

Michelin A/T 255/70/15 Rs. 6,950
Michelin A/T2 235/70/16 Rs. 6,375 (looks like you were quoted 6,800 for these?)
B.F.G 235/70/16 Rs. 5,875

The tyre expert in this store was suggesting that I go with 15" rims and 235/75/R15. I should have asked him the price for it, maybe next time. I don't have powersteering so I am being warned not to go beyond 235s, but I am tempted to get the 255s.

Did you get your apollo tyres and what size did you decide on?
Old 31st March 2009, 16:42   #67
BHPian

lol, i love that hood lock you got in the engine bay
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 18:16   #68
BHPian

Default Update on the upgrade

It's been a while.. and it keeps going and going and going! the work I mean.

The painting is coming along well, and the only thing remaining now are the final and clear coats. Thanks once again to Pavan/Raghavendra for his help. The painting will surely be done this week and hopefully the electrical work after that.

The major progress I have made is with the fabrication of the roll bar, side steps and rear step. Spent some time debating and designing the roll bar and finally I am pretty happy with what we came up with. Check it out and give me your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-rollbar.jpg  

1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-framedown.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 12:30   #69
BHPian

Default Painting Complete

Hi Guys,
FINALLY, the painting is done, roll bar/cage done, seats done, electrical wiring is in progress. We are starting to put everything together!

Will post photos after the final installtion is complete.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:11   #70
Team-BHP Support

Thats one bad *** roll cage i say cant wait to see the final product.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 15:31   #71
BHPian

Default Roll cage-

As the name suggest's for it to be a cage or a bar - you have something different than both -

Though the pipes and the welding done looks strong enough - unless there was support on the front for the frame - i would not recommend it - though I am just a newbie here.

The reason being very simple is that in case of a roll over - the front frame may either buckle or break away from the main frame causing a considerable harm either to the driver or the co driver.

However to mitigate this you may add gussets to the structure - as shown in the picture - what I have shown - I am not sure of -so this is just a suggestion.

RGDS
IRfan
Attached Thumbnails
1968 CJ3B - upgrade project-rollcage.jpg  

Irfanulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 17:11   #72
BHPian

Ganesh,
I do not know much about these things, but from Irfanulla's post, I think he is right.

If it is not too late, maybe you should alter the front part to something similar to this:
Pic Courtesy: Mahindra Site (Sorry, don't have the actual link)

Name:  img_4.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  24.4 KB
Name:  img_2.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  18.7 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 7th May 2009 at 17:15.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 17:44   #73
BHPian

oop's in the picture where I marked "is this permanent or going to be removed" - on the first look it felt like a central tube originating from near the mid of the front - just realised its the pipe on the side - I should certainly look at having a pair of glasses now

- I certainly don't feel confident on this now!

The one shown in pic's which Santosh has posted are what it is meant to be.

Last edited by Irfanulla : 7th May 2009 at 17:46.
Irfanulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 18:48   #74
BHPian

Default Roll Cage Strength

Irfanulla/Santosh,
Your concerns are well founded and I have worried about the same earlier. I have seen pictures of other Jeeps with a roll cage having one or two tubular structures supporting the front as shown by Santhosh. Ideally, the roll bar or cage should be attached to the Chassis, but a lot of people just bolt it to the body.

Having said that, the main tubular structure I have used is 2.5" dia and the overhang is 2" dia. It has been built very robustly and I feel safe that the structure will hold, but, there is no way to test it! I was trying to find a location in the front (close to the dash) where I could add a column or two in the front, but did not find a good one.

Thinking back, braces as suggested by Irfanulla would have made sense, but it is too late at this point, since I have got the roll cage powder coated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfanulla View Post
oop's in the picture where I marked "is this permanent or going to be removed" - on the first look it felt like a central tube originating from near the mid of the front - just realised its the pipe on the side - I should certainly look at having a pair of glasses now

- I certainly don't feel confident on this now!

The one shown in pic's which Santosh has posted are what it is meant to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Ganesh,
I do not know much about these things, but from Irfanulla's post, I think he is right.

If it is not too late, maybe you should alter the front part to something similar to this:
Pic Courtesy: Mahindra Site (Sorry, don't have the actual link)

Attachment 133535
Attachment 133537
Old 11th May 2009, 02:59   #75
BHPian

@ gbanavar - I don't know anything about roll cage design but from my knowledge of steel structures I can tell you very confidently that the front portion of your roll cage wont do you any good in case of a roll over. In fact it may prove to be more disastrous than not having one. Even after the gussets Irfanulla has suggested it is not going to help you. The overhang is just too much to be stable. You need to go the major way and have downtubes coming down in the front.
Between a sincere thanks from me for that hood lock idea of yours. I got the same done to my jeep after the my jeep battery got flicked a few days back.

cheers
vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote