Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 17th March 2009, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Default When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings

I had gone for a mini OTR last weekend and got stuck badly in Slush. so wanted to start this thread where we can share our experiences where we got stuck during OTRs and what did we learn from them. Also how did we come out of the situation . We can also write about what should we do right so that we can avoid getting stuck .
Baburajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:59   #2
BHPian

Last week when I and my brother was drving in a farmland, we stuck up in the soft sand. We tried to engage the 4wd, but it was not working . I tried to reverse the Jeep and the engine has enough power but the wheel spinning started (thought the Jeep has LSD at rear). We came out from the Jeep and trying removing the sand from the back side of the rear wheel and than again tried reverse. No success. The Jeep was getting down and down and the tank was about to touch the surface. We tried to use jack so we can put some stones below the tires but the normal jack was of no help (and I realized we must have a high jack). After spoiling more than one and half hrs, we spotted a tractor and ran toward him shouting for help. He agreed to help but none of us has any rope etc to tow. He walked to our Jeep and advised us to dig out some sand from hand, not only from the back of the rear tyre but also from the front of the rear tyre. He advised me to take the Jeep a bit forward (say one feet) and than using reverse with full throttle. I never thought this will work but amazed to see we were out from that sandy land.

Moral of the story :: if you are stuck up in sand, try to do forward and reverse (hichkole) and than use full throttle. Most of the time, very simple thing works .

PS :: this is a good thread and I am sure we are going to learn a lot from people's experience and advice.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:00   #3
BHPian

Default pictures speak ....

Look the the pictures. Thats what happened last saturday. Oh boy it was exciting and embarasing at the same time. It was a very small OTR and we hadnt planned to go in to the slush. Then something inside me told lets watch what will happen if I go in to the slush. Neither me nor my BIL had any idea of how to drive in slush. We just stupidly jumped in to it

And thats what happened. If we hadnt got that tractor at that time ( it was 6 PM) we should have left the jeep there and went home and come back the next day.

We had tried all sort of things before we got the tractor. Tried putting stones around rear and front wheels. Tried to use a mat (You can see it in the picture) to get some traction. But what ever we did the wheels were spinning and the vehicle was going down and down.

when the tractor came again we didnt have any toe rope or chain. The tractor guy had a iron rod( used in construction ) . We bent it and used it as a toe rope . My back bumper twisted as a result of this. Also people helped in raising the jeep and this provided traction on the stones we had put.

Moral 1 : have to have high lift jacks and toe ropes always with you.
Moral 2 : tractors and jeep drivers dearest friends.
Moral 3 : Learn off roading before you take the plunge

I appeal the gurus here to tell me what I should have done in this situation not to get stuck. There was a small hill after the slush finished so couldnt have enough momentum going . Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-15032009002.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-15032009004.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-15032009007.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-15032009008.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-15032009012.jpg  

Last edited by Baburajs : 17th March 2009 at 15:10. Reason: Posting before 15 mts
Old 17th March 2009, 15:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Desert King,

Was it very loose dry sand ? Have you ever watched the Paris Dakar rally ? Even competitors in that with all their fancy 4x4's manage to gt stuck in sand. They have these metal tracks (perforated metal plates) which are about the width of the tyres. They will dig out a bit of sand then wedge these metal tracks in front of the wheels. The vehicle is then able to get traction on the metal and move out of the sand.

Nice write up here :

Deserts Sand and Recovery

Last edited by bigman : 17th March 2009 at 15:10.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:06   #5
BHPian

In the first photo is the witness of all your heard efforts... Thanks for sharing those pictures.

I guess, if you have had the hight lift jack, it was possible for you to come out without anybodies help.

One can also think about having a winch on the Jeep but I guess winch is of no help if you do have any solid object to tie it's rope (as it is in most of the case here in western Rajasthan, a very few tree).
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
I had gone for a mini OTR last weekend and got stuck badly in Slush. ....
Quote:
Look the the pictures. Thats what happened last saturday. ....
Doesn't look like slush sir -- it's a total muddy/clayy pit with quick sand like characteristic. I believe that if you yourself stood on top of it, your feet would have sunk in. That's what i can make out from pictures.

Not much of a chance in this -- if you don't have momentum and cross it in one go. If you stop, then you are gone -- the weight will sink you in and the spinning of tyres will sink you even more.

Quote:
tell me what I should have done in this situation not to get stuck. ...
My ONLY 2 cents: Getting stuck is good -- you learn a lot from it sir, BUT get stuck where you have backup Either in form of equipments or in term of recovery vehicle or in terms of sheer manpower.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:31   #7
BHPian

We took both the Pajero & the Rangie for a off road excursion a few days ago..the place is close to Hoshiarpur in Punjab about an hour and a half from Jalandhar.

Beautiful countryside with barely any people and great offroading tracks..
Both cars fared really well until unfortunately i got the Pajero bogged down in some pretty deep slush..and from then on in it was quite a task getting it out as we had to work by the lights of the range rover as night set in.

What happened was that we were on the wet river bed and the range rover was behind me.
We came to a halt as going around a bend we came across a serious obstruction that could not be crossed.
I did a three point turn in the Pajero and my brother who had halted behind me in the Range Rover reversed out.

As soon as i reached the point where the Range Rover had previously been standing the earth gave way and all the tyres dug in deep till the point that the car was resting on its chassis and not being supported by its tyres..

In hindsight i think i may have been a bit slow and not gathered enough momentum..well u learn something everyday!

The range rover could not pull it out as it was not getting traction on the wet slippery and soft river bed and as we did not want it to get bogged down too we stopped using the Rangie.

The earth was very soft and mushy and we had to work for 5 hours to free the car which we eventually did by lifting each end up in turns, twice..with the help of a tractor..and then when the car was free of the suction effect the wet mud was having we tugged it out to our immense relief and elation!

We even thought about leaving it there for the night and coming back the next day with a recovery crane as the tractor too was quite ineffective till about 9:45 pm when it finally was free and we hurried of home for some chicken tikkas!!

You know what the joke was that evening?..when the the Pajero got stuck the Range Rover tried in vain to rescue it but it took a Mahindra to do the job!! JAI HO!

All in all it was a superb experience getting down and dirty with the cars.
as they say..Alls well that ends well!
Attached Thumbnails
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk1.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk2.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk3.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk4.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk5.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk6.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk7.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk8.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk9.jpg  

When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-pjstk10.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th March 2009 at 15:56. Reason: cleanup
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 15:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

@DesertKing: Did you try reducing the air pressure in the tires when stuck in sand?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

i dont have a 4x4,but i got stuck in my bolero 4X2 back in august 08
i always had a fetish for water crossings and this friend told me that he found a rivulet in foothills that can be crossed,so next morning,me in my bolero and he on his zma were standing on the rivulets bank,inspecting the depth,the flow was turbulent because of monsoon.

First was zma's turn and with some difficulty,it managed with complete 18 inch tyre drowned in water at some stretches,and the river bed was quite rocky.

the kid inside me got overexcited and i crawled inside the rivulet in my bolero
All of a sudden "BANG",damn a big rock had hit it somewhere.
Fearing the worst i braked and jumped into water
on inspection from front all looked fine.
I got into the vehicle and tried to reverse and this is when rear tyres lost traction, and started spinning like crazy,so i tried to implement little offroading knowledge i had,swtiched to 1st and reverse and some how manages to get her out in reverse-phew.
on closer inspection i found that thankfully there was no damage.
here are a few pics of the water crossing adventure gone bad.

you can see in this pic that foglights are wet,so water infact had touched them damn
Attached Images

akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 20:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

It was last Saturday that I got stuck in my CJ3B. Lesson learnt, look before you leap. It was my misjudgement on the angle of descent and the clearance and articulation of my CJ3B Jeep which I was driving for the first time Offroad.

The other picture is of a bad stuck in 2008 in my SWB Landcruiser Prado.
Attached Thumbnails
When did you last get stuck and what were the learnings-dsc07851.jpg  

Attached Images

desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 20:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

nice pictures there guys... 4x4's and some 4x2's in action
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 20:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
nice pictures there guys... 4x4's and some 4x2's in action
you missed out on 2X1
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 20:42   #13
BHPian

Some great pictures and experiences coming out. I am loving it. This should help many people out there.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:25   #14
BHPian

Dear Offroaders,

Interesting topic, ask a offroader whether he would like to get stuck & i am sure he will say "NO", well situation with me was that i used to love getting stuck & i really love to see the other jeepers get stuck too, this where is love the challenge of taking the jeep out of the spot, many know me for this.

well what a sadist would be your thoughts, no this is the truth, what i have mentioned above, no one likes situation of being stuck,

This very simple & Now this is where we learn, How many of you have actually walked the path which you plan to take on, to know how soft was the soil, how deep was the riverbed, i am sure if this is kept in mind & practiced next time trust me you wont get stuck,
How many check the condition of the tyres etc,

How many are prepared with the right rescue equipment, is it that you have a winch and you are not sure where to rig, all you need is to know the terrain,

Off roading is an art the more you wander in the unknown territory the better offroader will you be,

Never give up & say i will be back the next day, that's not what a offroader is,

Always try to have a back up, this way you will be sure for a support & advise,

All of us have learnt offroading in the same manner,

I am little envious of the kind of terrain you all have,

Well some day i will surely be there to enjoy the OTR,

Till then take care & best regards
Vinay thomas
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Some great pictures and experiences coming out. I am loving it. This should help many people out there.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 23:17. Reason: Font tags removed.
CJ3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 22:12   #15
BHPian

And the award for best off-roader goes to Tractor!!

Well yes, when I had just acquired my jeep, me and my friend decided to off-road after a heavy downpour in the neighborhood. We found a low lying flat land from road and I descended into it. On hitting it I realized that the ground was very soft and my jeep was digging in. i kept the momentum and avoiding any sudden acceleration/brake managed out of the bowl.
Next my friend wanted to try the same. This time we were not lucky and ground caved in under front tires. He immediately backed up but the rear tires also dug in and the jeep sat on its chassis with all four tires rotating merrily.
Than started the 4 hr long recovery. First we got hold of 8-10 laborers and they tried for good half and hour before giving up.
Than I found this tractor guy who agreed to help. He came back with a heavy chain. A chain so heavy that I haven't seen a heavier one till date. It was so heavy that I had trouble picking it up and hooking to my jeep. It's single loop was so big that it fit into the rear tow hook.
But the tractor wasn't able to pull it out and started sinking as well. Than he decided to use snatch pull to recover me. After repeated snatch jerks for half and hour did my jeep came out.
Not to mention my rear member on which the tow hook is mounted twisted and the chassis came out by good 2 inches.
Later I came to know that that site has just been filled with fresh loose soil some 4 feet deep to raise its level.
Lesson learnt - Tractor walas are the nicest guys. He dint even take any money even after me insisting.

cheers
vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   Reply With Quote