Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 12th October 2010, 09:57   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
I feel 410W will be a better model for 416 conversion.

Apart from this you have to get king GB(with king clutch) + King Transfer case + Baleno Engine(with ECM, manifold) or only Baleno Engine and convert it to CARB.

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri

TCASE could be retained. only the GB needs to be replaced.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 10:08   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Check for the cooling water outlet. it should be on the flywheel side of the engine block.

Baleno is front driven & so engine is cross mounted.
The same engine need to be mounted longitudinally in gypsy.

Thanks mexxentric , i will check that right away . bro your experience about your conversion has given me much more confidence .Thanks a lot . Had sent you a PM long time back regarding this but no reply . WHat is amount you spent for conversion excluding the engine & GB?
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 11:07   #108
BHPian

Hello Sreejit, we are gald & excited to see your falcon flying on the road, i like that RX100 comparison it gives the excat feel you get on driving. I wish to have it test drive one day, did u tried any off road? post a lot more pics including the interiors, did you retained the A/C from the baleno? What you done to have the height increased? Many more questions i'll give you a call later.
CONGRAGULATIONS ...
Anil Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 11:26   #109
Senior - BHPian

@MexXxentric,

did you try to take her offroad?? try some extreme stuff but little slowly to check if your oil sump is touching hitting the diff or no. this is one common problem in conversion.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 11:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
@MexXxentric,

did you try to take her offroad?? try some extreme stuff but little slowly to check if your oil sump is touching hitting the diff or no. this is one common problem in conversion.
Devang,

Very good advice. when I fitted Isuzu engine, the mechanic with out being told (offcourse, I did not know to tell) had made alteration in the sump cover to avoid touching of differential.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 23:58   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Had sent you a PM long time back regarding this but no replyon
Apologies...
I was not active in t-bhp for 3 months. meanwhile I got married
Today only I saw PM from you, devang and many other bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
Hello Sreejit, we are gald & excited to see your falcon flying on the road, i like that RX100 comparison it gives the excat feel you get on driving. I wish to have it test drive one day, did u tried any off road? post a lot more pics including the interiors, did you retained the A/C from the baleno? What you done to have the height increased? Many more questions i'll give you a call later.
CONGRAGULATIONS ...
Thanks Anil. U & Aneesh were of great support throughout the project.
you are most welcome to test Falcon.
Interiors are yet to be done. Even the AC unit.
Baleno's blower unit is way too bulky to be installed in Gypsy.
Iam retaining baleno's AC compressor.
Those recaros picked by me & Aneesh are yet to be installed.
Couldn't get time or a group to test falcon off the road.
For increasing height, the front leaves were re-cambered to balance the height of CFLs in rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
@MexXxentric,

Dev,

I will keep this point in mind. Will do some trial before doing something extreme.
Falcon doesnt have the OE baleno sump. I've changed it to the G16A's sump( pictures & details are available in previous posts)
The new sump got oil storage area near the flywheel, not directly above the differential hub.

See the attached picture and do post your opinion.

I am using 410's transfer case only.
The engine& GB combo was installed maintaining OE position of Transfer case & GB mounting point.

Quote:
bro your experience about your conversion has given me much more confidence .Thanks a lot
Thanks bro. Glad to hear something like that. Actually many bhp-ians shredded their 416 dreams seeing my struggle.
Finding an electrician who can rebunch the ECM wiring & link baleno's engine parameter readings to gypsy's console is 'the key'
Attached Images

Last edited by MexXxentric : 13th October 2010 at 00:15.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 10:11   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies...
I was not active in t-bhp for 3 months. meanwhile I got married
Today only I saw PM from you, devang and many other bhpians

Thanks bro. Glad to hear something like that. Actually many bhp-ians shredded their 416 dreams seeing my struggle.
Finding an electrician who can rebunch the ECM wiring & link baleno's engine parameter readings to gypsy's console is 'the key'
No prob brother , Congrats on getting married , now i know why you were off Team-bhp for 3 months . Have a happy married life

My mech is a classic car restorer and successfully done a Toyota 2c conversion for a gypsy so he gave me the confidence that it can be done
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 13:58   #113
BHPian

Default A.c

Quote:
Baleno's blower unit is way too bulky to be installed in Gypsy.
Iam retaining baleno's AC compressor.
Compressor mounting is the most trickiest part as there is not much space to accomodate it inside the bay. Now you may go for the super king cooling coil & blower unit which will fit pefectly inside the gypsy dashboard with out any kind of alteration and you can use the original vents on the dash board also. With the kind of roof setup you have the passenger compartment will turn into a chiller room in minutes during peak summer also.

Have the interiors also done up quickly, so that you have a bit of luxury along with the power together. As good as (or even better than) any modern suv in todays market.
Anil Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 18:34   #114
BHPian

Quote:

Brother, I am planning a MG416W myself. So looking for a donor car first . I hav a couple of queries for you

1. Can the donor car's wiring harness be utilised in the gypsy ? If not completely then upto what extent?
2. What should be a good price for a 2000 baleno with CNG 95000km done? I guess you bought a similar donor.

Thanks
Sumit
autoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 21:25   #115
BHPian

Quote:
My mech is a classic car restorer and successfully done a Toyota 2c conversion for a gypsy so he gave me the confidence that it can be done
Good luck bro. do a lot of googling & that will help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anil Vincent View Post
Compressor mounting is the most trickiest part as there is not much space to accomodate it inside the bay. Now you may go for the super king cooling coil & blower unit which will fit pefectly inside the gypsy dashboard with out any kind of alteration and you can use the original vents on the dash board also. With the kind of roof setup you have the passenger compartment will turn into a chiller room in minutes during peak summer also.

Have the interiors also done up quickly, so that you have a bit of luxury along with the power together. As good as (or even better than) any modern suv in todays market.
Falcon already had superking-sanden combo.
After installing a BIG radiator, I am left with the option to have under body mounted condenser.
Most AC technicians are reluctant to do this. I need to find the right guy to get it done. searching patiently....

Can we fix superking blower( which use R12) with the baleno compressor designed for R134a?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
Brother, I am planning a MG416W myself. So looking for a donor car first . I hav a couple of queries for you

1. Can the donor car's wiring harness be utilised in the gypsy ? If not completely then upto what extent?
2. What should be a good price for a 2000 baleno with CNG 95000km done? I guess you bought a similar donor.

Thanks
Sumit
All the best bro..
1. Yes wiring harness can be completely used. In my 416, we relocated the thermostat & ECT assembly & so the specific strand had to be spliced.
Rest all were re-bunched.
2.No idea regarding the market as I am working abroad. My donor was a totalled baleno.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we fix superking blower( which use R12) with the baleno compressor designed for R134a?
R134a uses higher pressure than R12. If the blower (I assume you are talking of the blower+condenser assembly) is metallic, which it normally is, then higher pressure would not matter. In fact when I upgraded my Esteem AC from R12 to R143, all rubber pipes and compressor were changed, leaving the old metal pipe and the condenser/blower unit. I could have retained the compressor also, but changed it as it would give me at least 5-10 years of service! The only difference in compressors, according to the AC dealer, is that there is special oil filled in compressor for R134, along with different rubber seals, otherwise both the compressors are same.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 00:28   #117
BHPian

So basically its a change in plumbing. Good news for me.
the technician mentioned that the thermostat also need change & quoted and additional cost for this mod.
Its hight time to dig for AC related threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
R134a uses higher pressure than R12. If the blower (I assume you are talking of the blower+condenser assembly) is metallic, which it normally is, then higher pressure would not matter. In fact when I upgraded my Esteem AC from R12 to R143, all rubber pipes and compressor were changed, leaving the old metal pipe and the condenser/blower unit. I could have retained the compressor also, but changed it as it would give me at least 5-10 years of service! The only difference in compressors, according to the AC dealer, is that there is special oil filled in compressor for R134, along with different rubber seals, otherwise both the compressors are same.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So basically its a change in plumbing. Good news for me.
the technician mentioned that the thermostat also need change & quoted and additional cost for this mod.
Its hight time to dig for AC related threads
Apart from other things what you have to change/replace; is the gas and the moisture absorber, called the "bottle' by AC mechanics; every time the AC plumbing is opened. My AC shop has advanced machinery, which extracts and stores the gas when servicing the AC. In your case, if the engine is salvaged then normally the AC line is just disconnected, requiring new gas and moisture trap. Regarding the thermostat, it is normally within the condenser (inside unit). The Baleno original unit is quite good and if available can be used as it is.

Please note that if you put a larger inside unit to give more cooling, then the out side unit, the heat exchanger, should also be upgraded, else the AC will not cool enough due to insufficient heat extraction (that is one of the reasons why my Esteem's old heat exchanger was replaced by new efficient one, when I changed from R12 to R134.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 01:08   #119

Default Re: Project MG 416 W

Even after going through entire thread I am still canfused. Is it that if the doner vehicle is a MG410W, for the G16B swap is it required to change the following:

1. G16B Engin.( wiring Harnes, ECM).
2. King Gear box.

3.T Case, from King.
4. F/R Differentials, from king.

1 and 2 are the obvious, is it required to change 3 and4. Experts pleas comment.

Thanks,
Vamsi.
vamsi_dvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 09:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Project MG 416 W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_dvk View Post
1. G16B Engin.( wiring Harnes, ECM).
2. King Gear box.

3.T Case, from King.
4. F/R Differentials, from king.

1 and 2 are the obvious, is it required to change 3 and4. Experts pleas comment.
yes

the transfer case is little different from 410.

MG410W TC
HI :1.578
LOW :2.511
MG413W TC
HI :1.409
LOW:2.268

differential ratios
MG410 & 410W 4.10:1
MG413 3.73:1
also the king's axles are wider than 410's axle so it will be more stable on road.
MG410 1210mm front and 1220 mm rear.
MG410W / MG413 a 1300mm front and 1310mm rear.
source:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ar-ratios.html (Gypsy Gear ratios)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1133852

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote