Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 20th April 2009, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Starting problem on my CJ3B (Hurricane engine)

Hey guys
I have having this peculiar problem with my 3B.
It refuses to start in the morning, even after prolonged periods of cranking the engine.

I am not able to understand the problem. But once it starts which is after i press the palm of my hand on the carburetor, after removing the air filter pipe, thereafter it starts with half a crank.

Moreover when I talk to my mechanic he says that its ok as it is an old vehicle. Further to show him the problem, I have to take the vehicle to his workshop and to do that I have to start it with the palm of my hand and take it to him.

Please advise as I know that even if an old vehicle, and that too a petrol it is bound to start easily and not manually.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 10:49   #2
BHPian

Now try doing that with the hand-crank,lol. The battery of my jeep was weak and i went trying the hand-crank over and over again until i was told thats its the easiest and fastest recipe for a broken wrist.

The problem seems to be with the fuel pump. You've probably got the solex one, so i don't think you'll have a tough time sources parts for it, and you should be able to get latter made diaphragms that ain't dried hard, brittle and useless. Stay away from the kapacco one's though. Once the pump pulls up enough pressure through the pump, its all going to be just fine. Finally fed-up due to not availability of the AC type pump parts, i switched to electronic pumps, but here too, for getting it working it properly, a pressure release mechanism is needed, or the pump just overheats in some time. You can even use a electric pump inline with the mechanical pump since it would build up enough pressure for the mech. pump to start working, that is incase you are'nt able to find parts. The mech. pump already has a pressure relief mechanism, no there nothing to worry. I found a carter pump and some new parts, so maybe it'll work out for me, but i'am still keeping my fingers crossed.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 11:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Harjeev - I will guide you in totality. No time now. Please wait / PM me your mobile number for details.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

@brutus
My 3B has the Ucal fuel pump.
@D.Behram
I have PM'ed you my details

I was thinking to put a electric fuel pump before the manual one and use it just in the morning, and see whether the problem is solved. Will this be a good Solution???
Further my mechanic has not services the fuel pump and the carb. So anyone know or can guide me some good mechanic where I can get these 2 things serviced
Old 20th April 2009, 17:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Harjeev - I will guide you in totality. No time now. Please wait / PM me your mobile number for details.
Behram, why don't you guide the member here itself? Advice archived on the forum will serve as a permanent reference in the future. Maybe even help a coupla other Hurricane owners as well?

Thank you
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 18:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quick question do you pump the accelerator when you crank?

If you do and it does not start means the enrichment circuit is blocked.

Also try opening your air adjustment screw by a quarter turn and then crank it could help.

Putting your palm on the carb means you require a choke to crank up, another question Do you have a choke option?
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Quick question do you pump the accelerator when you crank?
Yes I do pump the accelerator when I crank the engine..

Quote:
If you do and it does not start means the enrichment circuit is blocked.
WHere is this and how do I unblock it...

Quote:
Also try opening your air adjustment screw by a quarter turn and then crank it could help.

Putting your palm on the carb means you require a choke to crank up, another question Do you have a choke option?
Yes it has the choke option and that too is of no help...

What I have done today is added the electric fuel pump. Now I will check tomorrow morning and see if the same problem occurs tomorrow morning...

BTW I came back and parked the jeep around 2 PM and the driver tried to crank the jeep about 15 minutes back and it would not start. So I went and switched on the electric pump for 3-4 secs and then while it was on cranked and it started with half a self. But I would be satisfied if this is helpful in the morning's too...
Starting problem on my CJ3B (Hurricane engine)-img_7245.jpg

Starting problem on my CJ3B (Hurricane engine)-img_7247.jpg

Help Request to T-Bhpians
Please advise on a good workshop in and around west delhi where I can get proper pipe installation done, service the fuel pump and carburetor.
Old 20th April 2009, 19:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
BTW I came back and parked the jeep around 2 PM and the driver tried to crank the jeep about 15 minutes back and it would not start. So I went and switched on the electric pump for 3-4 secs and then while it was on cranked and it started with half a self. But I would be satisfied if this is helpful in the morning's too...
Glad that you have it sorted for now, think it will work in the morning too.
Do you have the old tappet pump on the engine maybe the diaphragm was not working fine? (Just an assumption as I am not sure)
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

I was thinking in terms of fuel pump also (i just read it ), electric fuel pump is a good option. Ensure you get a good make, since they are notorious at conking off also. Connect it via the ignition switch so that its not accidentally left ON, or it can cause flooding of carbs.

Your original pump seems to be weak in this case, also check the tank if the fuel pipe unit is fitted properly, not chocked and also if the breather system is proper and not causing any air locks.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2009, 19:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Psycho & Jaggu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Do you have the old tappet pump on the engine maybe the diaphragm was not working fine? (Just an assumption as I am not sure)
I am not able to understand what you are trying to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I was thinking in terms of fuel pump also (i just read it ), electric fuel pump is a good option. Ensure you get a good make, since they are notorious at conking off also. Connect it via the ignition switch so that its not accidentally left ON, or it can cause flooding of carbs.
The fuel pump that I have installed is I think a local make only, but anyways, if it works, I will be using it only in the mornings. PERIOD... And I have put in a seperate switch and will be using it only if the jeep fails to start on its own

Quote:
Your original pump seems to be weak in this case, also check the tank if the fuel pipe unit is fitted properly, not chocked and also if the breather system is proper and not causing any air locks.
I want to get a proper wiring and piping job done up. Also I plan to change/ service the manual fuel pump and carburetor, thats the reason I am on the hunt for a good mechanic who can guide me in totality...
Old 21st April 2009, 09:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good news guys!!!
I tried starting my jeep today morning, first without using the electronic fuel pump. Again the same issue. It did not start

Then I used the electronic fuel pump for 5 or maybe 6 seconds and while it was still on, cranked the engine. And WOLLA it started without a hitch!!!!

I am so happy!!!

I had a little doubt in my mind yesterday whether this contraption will work or not... Thank god it did...

Thanks everyone for your help and support...
Old 21st April 2009, 15:00   #12
BHPian

I think the old Dodge WC's used to come with a hand primer pump(within the cab) just for this reason, am i right?
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote