Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 5th June 2009, 16:52   #16
BHPian

Does any one have the model number for this carb?
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 23:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

If its a 413 why not just get the stock esteem carb? The cam on the 413 is different from the Esteem so jetting will be different, but it is a LOT easier to find parts for the mikuni than it is to find jets etc. for the Hitachi.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 23:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
If its a 413 why not just get the stock esteem carb? The cam on the 413 is different from the Esteem so jetting will be different, but it is a LOT easier to find parts for the mikuni than it is to find jets etc. for the Hitachi.
The Mikunis do not give the same kind of performance as the Hitachi and Weber carbs. The Mikunis are used for better mileage.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 08:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The Mikunis do not give the same kind of performance as the Hitachi and Weber carbs. The Mikunis are used for better mileage.

Cheers,
Hitachi and weber wont do $hit if the right jets arent available. We've used both Mikuni and Weber DCOEs in single and twin setups, but then we had the right jets and emulsion tubes for both, plus we also had the advantage of knowing what we were doing.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 6th June 2009 at 08:02.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 10:42   #20
BHPian

As Ananth sir said,
The Hitachi is supposed to give better performance.
Earlier I was getting about 11-12 KMPL in city, and awesome grunt in the low end. Now i guess the internal springs etc have to be done up as there is neither idling nor performance.
I did not notice the performance drop in Petrol as I also use LPG.
I want to try getting the carb running properly first, and then if I feel like it I may change it

GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Hi,

I was facing problem with my Carb since long. First there was starting problem, so had to give it to service 2-3 time, then I realized I should use Choke. I was used to MPFI Zen, so realized about the presence of choke very lately.

Now there is no starting problem, but when I try to move the vehicle(specially first gear) the engine turns off, so I had to press the exhilarator hard so that engine doesn’t turn off. I was worried; this may burn fuel/Clutch. It was very difficult to drive in slow moving traffic.

Till date I have driven the vehicle for around 3000Kms. And I have given the vehicle for carb cleaning 4 times (@ MAAS). No one could solve the problem. Lastly I was told that, I may need to change the carb.

Last week I decided I will give one last try. And landed up spending one whole diwale day in a garage in Mysore.

Morning 9:30 I reached the garage and I told about the problem. Like all others, the Mec started with checking the petrol supply, timing, Spark plug, air filter, lastly removed the carb, dismantled it and started to clean every part. Had to buy few washers as the old one were not in good shape. By evening 5 carb was fitted, but there was no change. The problem was not solved. Mec told that I need to change the carb. He had an old card lying since a year which belonged to a 97 Gypsy. I wanted to know the availability/pricing of Gypsy Carb so I called up spare parts shop, but I was told this is a first time enquiry and they didn’t have any idea about the pricing. So I had to settle for the second hand carb.

The Mec cleaned the carb and fitted it in my gypsy. The problem simply vanished. I bought that old carb (mikuni carburetor) and now have some peace of mind. I still wonder “what was so wrong in that carb?”

Guys any idea, what will be the cost of old/new Gypsy(410) mikuni carburetor? Just want to know if I have paid much.

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 20th October 2009 at 11:03.
krishnathanthri is offline   Reply With Quote