Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 5th July 2009, 14:05   #1
BHPian

Default Brake Fluid Help!

Hello everyone,

It is Sunday, and I want to take the jeep out for a spin. But the brakes are really bad, and I need to refill the brake oil. I went and looked around, and all the mechanics are closed on Sunday. I bought a 250ML bottle of "TVS-Girling" DOT 3 brake fluid.
Would someone please explain how to go about changing the brake oil?

I tried searching for some instructions, but could not find anything with reference to jeeps.

Thanks and wish you a lovely weekend,
Rohan
rohanarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 23:28   #2
BHPian

Hi Rohan, refer to this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...tml#post864622 (How to live with a CJ340 or similar Jeep?)

part no 1 is the brake oil reservoir. it may be located in different place in your jeep. find it and fill it!!
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 03:03   #3
BHPian

Hi Rohan,
Where have you been??? Pls call me.
Cheers
Jammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
Hello everyone,

It is Sunday, and I want to take the jeep out for a spin. But the brakes are really bad, and I need to refill the brake oil. I went and looked around, and all the mechanics are closed on Sunday. I bought a 250ML bottle of "TVS-Girling" DOT 3 brake fluid.
Would someone please explain how to go about changing the brake oil?

I tried searching for some instructions, but could not find anything with reference to jeeps.

Thanks and wish you a lovely weekend,
Rohan
MM440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 09:14   #4
BHPian

@star_aqua: I found it, and filled it! Thanks!!

@Jammy: Boss I've been right here! I'll call you sometime today.
rohanarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 10:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad brakes are rarely caused by bad fluid. In case you have air in the hydraulics (i.e. the reservoir has gone dry) then fix it pronto.

It is rare for the fluid to be the cause of bad brake behaviour unless you have not changed the fluid for ages, and it has thickened (polymerised) in the cylinders. Unless things are different in 4x4s I remember posting the instructions to change the brake fluid in some thread within the last month.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote