Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 14th July 2009, 16:25   #1
BHPian

Default MM550 Clutch Assembly

This is my first major expense after I acquired my 550. All started while I was coming back from Tumkur OTR. I was driving around 80-90 km/h on an empty stretch. I noticed a barricade on the road and tried to slow down by shifting the gear from 5th 4th. It came to neutral but I could not shift to any other gears. This was surprise for me since it never gave any issues like this before. I stopped the jeep and engaged the 1st gear with a little effort. I did not face any issues after that. While I was driving back I recollected that off-late when I start the jeep every Morning, it was kind of jumping forward as I release the clutch. Once it starts running I never faced any issues. Yesterday morning before cranking the engine, I pedaled the clutch and it was very free (Unusual) as expected, I could not engage the first gear after starting the Jeep. But when engine switched off, I could shift to any gear without any issues (Without pedaling the Clutch). I switched off the engine, shifted to first gear and started again. I took the Jeep to my Mechanic. First he suspected the master cylinder of clutch, but there were no reduction of clutch fluid. I asked him to open it and check out. Yes, I was prepared for the expenses but never wanted to take a chance. It was almost dark when he removed both of the propeller shafts and silencer. I dropped in to garage this morning to check out the progress. The clutch disk was useful for another 10k KMs but I asked him to replace it. I did not want this time consuming exercise to repeat again. The release bearing was gone. Clutch master cylinder has an uneven surface inside. But the most surprising find was, the clutch fork was fouling with pressure plate. And it has a huge dent. Now my mechanic told that this might have happened sometimes back since the markings were not fresh. And I never heard any kind of such noises when I pedal the clutch. He told he can still weld it and grind to the shape and put it back, but it may harden the material strength. So he suggested going for a new one. So things I need to change
1) Clutch Plate
2) Pressure Plate
3) Clutch Master Cylinder
4) Clutch Fork
5) Clutch Fluid
Expected budget is around 5K but it may go up. But I still do not know how the fork was fouling with pressure plate. Any thoughts? I heard that MDI3200 clutch assembly is same as XD3Pís and it is heavy duty for handling the extra torque produced by MDI3200. Any inputs?

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0010b.jpg

Clutch Plate

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0011b.jpg

Pressure Plate Notice that uneven surface where Clutch fork was Touching

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0012b.jpg

Release Bearing

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0013b.jpg

Clutch Fork Notice that huge dent due to fouling with pressure plate

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0014a.jpg

A closer look at the pressure plate.

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0015a.jpg

Clutch Master Cylinder

MM550 Clutch Assembly-img0020a.jpg

Complex Shifting Mechanism of BA-10.
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 19:34   #2
BHPian

Default Re: MM550 Clutch Assembly

Can anyone share the part number of MM550XD clutch plate and cover assemblies ? Or the compatible ones ?

MM550 Clutch Assembly-photo-2.jpg
MM550 Clutch Assembly-photo-3.jpg
Why this MM550DX Flywheel has a step ?.

- sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote