Am I missing something?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 19:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Gypsy Gear ratios

@ Indrojit
Saw your post in the modification section also.

In light of your SMSs, don't think what you want is possible. Incidentally, your father had put in an Izuzu 1800 in a Gypsy. Ask him about the results. (I was underwhelmed!)

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Wish him an interesting journey for me.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@ Indrojit

In light of your SMSs, don't think what you want is possible. Incidentally, your father had put in an Izuzu 1800 in a Gypsy. Ask him about the results. (I was underwhelmed!)

Regards
Sutripta

I remember asking him about it. If i remember correctly he had used the Contessa Gearbox and the Isuzu engine on gypsy 1 Liter. He said that the car would have a phenomenal initial pickup and lots of torque but hardly any top speed. I guess this was because the ratios of the Transmission didn't match with the ratios of the differential. In the 1.6 conversion i was asking you about, we would be using the 1.3 5 speed transmission with the gypsy flywheel and a performance after market clutch on the 1.6 engine.
Here is the link of the video which i had mentioned to you about -

Regards

Indrojit

P.S. - Congrats for your new status .
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 21:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Thank you.

What exactly is one supposed to notice in the clip? And seeing the clip, I stand by all my comments.

As far as I was concerned, the I1800 Gypsy's biggest shortcoming was that it was about as nimble as an elephant on skates.

Regarding your quest for speed (my Q still remains - why in a Gypsy), why don't you work it out. (Hint - start with the max speeds for the 1.0, 1.3 carb, and 1.3 MPFI, and correlate it with their power outputs)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^
Regarding your quest for speed (my Q still remains - why in a Gypsy), why don't you work it out. (Hint - start with the max speeds for the 1.0, 1.3 carb, and 1.3 MPFI, and correlate it with their power outputs)
Hi Sutripta,

I think it has more to do with Engine RPM & Gearing.

MG410 & 410W 4.10:1 Diff-Ratio
MG413 3.73:1 Diff-Ratio

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Hi,
Sparky has an (extremely high) target speed in mind. Has to be worked backwards, as in what power is required for that speed etc. etc. Not 'let me modify and see what I get.'

Actually, most of the previous 'conversation' was over SMS, so not on this thread.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th March 2011, 12:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
In the 1.6 conversion i was asking you about, we would be using the 1.3 5 speed transmission with the gypsy flywheel and a performance after market clutch on the 1.6 engine.
If the transplant is done on a 413, the gear ratios will be matching.

If the transplant is done on a 410 or 410W,& you retain stock wheel diameter, the result will be a torquey set-up.I mean a very offroad friendly setup. My 416 is of that kind. It briskly shifts to 5th gear & tops out at 100kmph(engine touches rev. limiter).

the brighter side of this setup is that you got huge torque & can go for taller tyres, without losing the top gear, or without installing crawler gears.
I've seen 410s with meaty rubbers struggling to climb on 4th gear.

Alan's 416 got taller tyres..So it touches higher speeds. In a 416 setup,power to wt ratio is comparably high & the speed limiting factor is the drive ratio not lack of power.

As your requirement is speed, try to do the transplant on a 413 & go for taller rubber.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
If the transplant is done on a 413, the gear ratios will be matching.

If the transplant is done on a 410 or 410W,& you retain stock wheel diameter, the result will be a torquey set-up.I mean a very offroad friendly setup. My 416 is of that kind. It briskly shifts to 5th gear & tops out at 100kmph(engine touches rev. limiter).

the brighter side of this setup is that you got huge torque & can go for taller tyres, without losing the top gear, or without installing crawler gears.
I've seen 410s with meaty rubbers struggling to climb on 4th gear.

Alan's 416 got taller tyres..So it touches higher speeds. In a 416 setup,power to wt ratio is comparably high & the speed limiting factor is the drive ratio not lack of power.

As your requirement is speed, try to do the transplant on a 413 & go for taller rubber.

The car i want to build is a 416. The car will not be used for off roading at all. I want a more (speed) out of that car than anything else. Now If i take a 410W as the base vehicle, put in a 413 5 speed gear box and T case and then do a 1.6 conversion. What are the possible results of the car ? Is it better to do it on a 413W than a 410? Car maybe used for rallying and dragging but no off roading. What is the highest speed your 416 and Allan's 416 has reached and what are the mods done on it ?
Old 15th April 2011, 20:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Indrojit

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:
^^^
Thank you.

What exactly is one supposed to notice in the clip? And seeing the clip, I stand by all my comments.

As far as I was concerned, the I1800 Gypsy's biggest shortcoming was that it was about as nimble as an elephant on skates.

Regards
Sutripta
Quote:
^^^
Hi,
Sparky has an (extremely high) target speed in mind. Has to be worked backwards, as in what power is required for that speed etc. etc. Not 'let me modify and see what I get.'

Actually, most of the previous 'conversation' was over SMS, so not on this thread.

Regards
Sutripta
Hi ,

I would like you to see post number 208, 218,219 &222 of the following thread. This would explain what i was trying to convey on the Sms.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-gypsy-14.html (Xtreme power pimps a GYPSY)

Regards