Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 5th August 2009, 00:21   #1
BHPian

Default I need some parts for my 1970 Mahindra

For some time I have problems with my brakes as they are totally original and not a single component, other than the main brake cylinder, has ever been changed. Time has started to affect. The Jeep has been a daily driver up untill 4 years ago, but now it sits in the yard and gets driven once in a month. Even then, I want my brakes to work properly but they are nearly gone. Last month me and my father tried to fix the problem by changing rubber seals in the wheel cylinders. We didn't get much of an improvement.

We decided to take one wheel cylinder out, take measurements and try to source a proper replacement that will work. This however has turned out more difficult than I imagined. Knowing that my Jeep uses Willys parts I was ready to order parts from the States, but to my dissappointment I couldn't find any. I'll post some photos and hope that you can somehow help me source parts and finally fix my problem. I have also popped this question on the CJ 3B page Bulletin Board but with no success.

Some of you know and probably remember me, but I'll tell you again that I'm from Macedonia and I can't get any kind of Mahindra/Willys parts

I'll be glad if someone knows where in Europe (Germany, Belgium, UK, anywhere) I can find wheel cylinder because buying and pick-up will be a lot easier. If there isn't any other way than ordering from India, I'll ask about shipping and rates in my Post Office and probably that will be the way to go...

Again, this is a 1970 Mahindra CJ-4.

Thank you
Attached Images

JeepMkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 09:25   #2
BHPian

Hi JeepMkd,
It must be available here and should be the same part used in CJ500. I will check it out this weekend and confirm. I can manage to send it to Germany. You have to collect it from Stuttgart. No shipping charges till here.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Chanke all four brake cylinders, check and change brake shoes, bleed and fill new brake fluid, check for leaks and seal, adjust the brakes and you should be doing fine. All these parts are readily available everywhere.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 05:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Hi JeepMkd,
It must be available here and should be the same part used in CJ500. I will check it out this weekend and confirm. I can manage to send it to Germany. You have to collect it from Stuttgart. No shipping charges till here.

I will be very thankful if you can arrange something for me. Also, picking up from Stuttgart will be very easy for me. If you can find the parts, send me a PM to notify me how much would they cost. I also consider buying front wheel cylinders as well, but need to disassemble everything, photograph and measure.
Old 7th August 2009, 06:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

@JeepMkd: You could do for double acting cylinders which will improve your braking efficiency.

Maybe Star_Aqua could get it for you ?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 17:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@JeepMkd: You could do for double acting cylinders which will improve your braking efficiency.

Maybe Star_Aqua could get it for you ?
Currently I am looking for a stock replacement. I don't want to alter any of the original setup because I can't let myself make something wrong. It will just give another headache.

Anyway I'm open for suggestions. I have no idea how double action cylinders look like and work. If they fit the original mounting holes I might consider upgrading.

For now, I need the original ones.
Old 7th August 2009, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMkd View Post
Currently I am looking for a stock replacement. I don't want to alter any of the original setup because I can't let myself make something wrong. It will just give another headache.

Anyway I'm open for suggestions. I have no idea how double action cylinders look like and work. If they fit the original mounting holes I might consider upgrading.

For now, I need the original ones.
The double acting ones are stock replacement. Basically a technology upgrade over the decades. In simple words - you have 2 wheel cylinders acting instead of 1 for your brakes and this is a huge improvement worth a try!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote