| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|7th August 2009, 08:59||#1|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Thanked: 256 Times
I received this email sometime back and Chinta Sourianarayanamourty(the sender of the email) is from the Pondicherry state currently residing in Paris.
He has bought this jeep and has some queries about it.
As my knowledge on jeeps is very little, so could the experienced jeepers comment on the jeep and answer his queries so that I can forward the same to him.
I have uploaded the pictures to picasa.
Here is the link
MODS: I have opened up a new thread.
If a similar thread already exists and/ or this thread is not in the right section, please merge/ transfer this thread.
|7th August 2009, 10:19||#2|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Thanked: 220 Times
Hmmm looks like some one took an RC book of 1966 (Petrol Willys LHD) and sourced a Chassis of GPW with a Peugeot engine.
I'm not sure on the email whether RC book claims originally diesel powered or endorsed. If it is originally diesel powered (some fake modification happen on the RC book as there was no diesel power plant during 1966 even few years later), otherwise this jeep (RC gone for engine transplantation) has got diesel power later stage.
Whatever I have seen, normally the old SWB vehicles had B275 engine as their main petrol to diesel conversion plant. Since it is Peugeot I still doubt even the endorsed diesel plant originally is not the Peugeot and got changed later term and punched teh same number that was actually put on the RC book.
Coming to the body features
1. The jeep suppose to be on the CJ3B line, but got the front side modified to look like Willys MB(on ford gpw chassis ;-) )
2. Front grill of Willys MB is again not original and it is locally fabricated one (look at the uneven grill tops)
3. The right side fender blackout light is not original one and the dome of the light is from some latest light
4. There was no SWB got the diesel/petrol tank at the rear, the fuel tank was always at the lefthand side of under front seat. This jeep got it underthe body tub in the rear side.
5. I doubt if ever willys came with the embosed letters on the windshield, it could be tinker's magic
6. The extra arm fitments around the body is not in original shape or in locations.
7. The original CJ3Bs never had split windscreen and this one borrowed it from either MB or GPW
8. He he he the soft top pattern matches closely with our DKG's CJ3B may be sourced from the same place!!!
9. 1966 models suppose to be in Left hand drive jeep
10. The stepney originally would have been placed on the right hand side wall above the mudguard.
11. Steering wheel absolute non-jeeper's
12. In some pictures the front seats were from older jeeps and later converted to push back
13. Looks like the front differential is present but not gear levers though. May be not functional 4WD vehicle.
Over all this jeep is a mix and match from RC, Engine, Body parts and other jeep features.
Last edited by trammway : 7th August 2009 at 10:22.
|11th August 2009, 19:17||#3|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Oct 2008
Thanked: 626 Times
THIS IS A HYDERABAD, HANDMADE REPLICA.
With an RC of another Jeep, the diesel entry on that jeep must have been legally mutated by RTO, as until about ten years back, petrol to diesel conversion was allowed and reflected on papers.
|11th February 2010, 14:09||#4|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Thanked: 0 Times
how do we differentiate the willys from CJ 3B or CJ 5,
did all the willys came with blackout lights.
in my RC book its 1968 willys tourer
can i get the spade and axe for the willys.
i am a 6 footer any other owners face difficulty in driving this low bonnet.
|11th February 2010, 15:27||#5|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Nov 2004
Thanked: 1,821 Times
I have observed the following.
1) Front Grille - Willys MB/Ford GPW
2) Wind Screen - CJ2A
3) Tail Gate - CJ3B with Willys tinkered/patched in.
My guess is this is a CJ3B which has been mixed n matched.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|2014 Jeep Cherokee Unveiled (Jeep Liberty replacement)||chevelle||The International Automotive Scene||30||24th February 2014 20:10|
|How to drive an unknown JEEP for 1500kms - A Travel/Photologue by a n00bie JEEP'r||dhanushs||Travelogues||78||4th December 2011 15:00|
|2009 Jeep J8 Multipurpose 4WD.....return of the WILLYS JEEP!!!||amit V8||The International Automotive Scene||14||27th July 2009 01:12|
|First offroading event with my Jeep: Coorg Jeep Thrills OTR 2008 Report||Samurai||4x4 Excursions||115||21st June 2009 16:12|