Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 9th October 2009, 08:43   #46
BHPian

DOK,
Will try today afternoon if its ok with you ,otherwise coming tuesday since i'm out on sat and sun...driving down to chandigarh on an inspection. saw a couple of your white jeep snaps on some other thread. looks different from the usual conventional colours. i may go for the dirty yellow desert colour used by the army, for my 3B.

atul

Last edited by ATUL SINGH : 9th October 2009 at 08:45. Reason: spelling mistake
ATUL SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 12:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hoopoe ...
it is my jeep and shall remain for many years to come.(how fimy)
how did u deduce your conclusions....i am curious to know
r u reffering to delhi bird group?
me and my wife too are into it.
Well Doc, no, I am not a detective. I just happen to notice the ad since it was located in Noida (where I work) and then suddenly your list of problems that matched the issues listed in the ad. The fact that the Jeep was quoted as sold quickly also acted as a clue.

Me and my wife are keen environment enthusiasts and love practicing 'plein air' art. We might have met in Okhla sanctuary since we lived very close to it in 15A till last year.

We can exchange phone nos privately and meet. I am sure it will be fun. I can also have the pleasure to see your beautiful jeep in skin.
Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 21:09   #48
BHPian

hoopoe, we too at noida, and do go often to obp as well.
do call me when ever u are free at 9910368894
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 06:16   #49
BHPian

spent the whole day with jaswinder sorting jeep issues out. issues worked upon:

1. fwh purchased brand new and installed, costed 3600rs. made a considerable difference in smoothness of driving and the distance which the jeep travels once after attaining a certain speed jeep is put in neutral.ie. resistance of movement shows most improvement. did not make much difference in the steering ease, perhaps my jeep anyways had a very light steering.

2. after consultation with ubs sir, appropriate size main carb jet put in, the size my jeep was running on was 135 , now 127.5 put in .

info from ubs sir was " military jeep main carb jet size was 140 , in the civilian variant the size was 127.5"

after jet change now the jeep is missing, spluttering and the problem has been localised to retarded timing , as the timing needs to be changed with jet size change. this shall be done today in the noon by mamaji.

3. tool kit prepared , including a jack, tyre spanner, 4 keys , 1 screw driver, 2 hose pipes to start with .

4. problem of radiator quirks localised to faulty cap, as the cap was not leaving space for the steam to escape so at times the water would leak from the water pump after running some considerable distance, while the water pump seems ok ,and once the water sprayed out from the overflow pipe after the jeep had run some kms and had been standing for almost 10 mins. so now the cap is put on a little loose to let the overflow pipe remain patent and allow the steam to escape .

5. the knocking of the under carriage localised to propellar shaft having increased play atthe rear joint as well as the front one having increased play at the front end, rear one taken out , the grooves seem a liitle worn out , but will do the job , so greased and put back, the front shaft shall be sorted out today.
Old 10th October 2009, 06:24   #50
BHPian

fresh issues that will be worked upon by mamaji before ddiwali:

1. the suspension leaf's are not in allignment and seem dry, so all leafsprings and shackes will get the greasing job and the leaf's will be alligned and the clamps tightened.

2. on engaging the 1st and 2ng gear once the jeep has run for some 30kms a sound is produced, presumably because of the gear slipping when the clutch assembly becomes hot , ( i didnt understand this at all, but this is jaswinder at analysis....he is getting better at it every day....u r a great chap jas..)

3. the silencer is leaking so a new "dholki" goes in.

4.oil seal on the bottom of the main engine block is shjowing leakage , so will be repacked.

also my freshly purchased accesories are undergoing a paint job , so they shall be installed also soon .

pics of the jeep should be up today, but how do i decrease the size of the pic file as the size of my pictures is much more than what the forum allows?as in how to make the file less heavy ?
Old 10th October 2009, 06:36   #51
BHPian

i have been able to get the greasing and oiling maintainance page of the 3b service manual, which says there are almost 16 points in greasing that need the grease every 2 months max. it seems that is one area we all are lacking on , ie. routine maintainance scedule once the jeep has been restored .

so all of us, lets put up the things we think need a look in every maintainace cycle. in short lets make a servicing check list which we should follow 2 monthly .
1. greasing as per the manual at all 16 points

2. oil filter , air filter clean up

3. oil top up / change

4. spark plug cleaning

5. fuel line complete clean up , from tank to carb .

6. tuning up , setting the idle rpm( how much should it be..ideally, in a cold engine??)

7. timing check

8. brake lining clean up

9. suspension check

10. hose pipes ends and body check

11. battery terminals greased up

12. tyre pressure

13. fan belt inspection

any more ????

i plan to print the final list and use it as a servicing check list , will help to pre empt problems and sort then out before they stall our beloved beasts.
Old 10th October 2009, 22:26   #52
BHPian

todaysproblem no. 1 :
jeep stalled and on cranking the engine it would start but die out when i pressed the accelarator.

solution:
took off the fuel line and turned on the elec pump , the fuel wasnt coming out with the expected force, banjo bold checked, found to be clean. then fuel filter was seen to be dirty with some clinking sound in it, changed it and problem solved. the clinking sound was found to be due to some solder remainants which must have remained in the fuel tank after soldering work was carried out on it.

uncle told me approach to such problem being , check fuel flow at the fuel pump level, at the carb level and lastly atthe banjo bolt. if fuel line is patent then spark plugs need a look and then if they are in order the distributor assembly comes next.

problem 2:
small jet giving missing and splutter after some timing adjustment also .

planned solution: timing will be looked into again

how safe is the thing of putting a wire in the fuel jet bore of a bigger caliber?
Old 16th November 2009, 09:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
todaysproblem no. 1 :
jeep stalled and on cranking the engine it would start but die out when i pressed the accelarator.

solution:
took off the fuel line and turned on the elec pump , the fuel wasnt coming out with the expected force, banjo bold checked, found to be clean. then fuel filter was seen to be dirty with some clinking sound in it, changed it and problem solved. the clinking sound was found to be due to some solder remainants which must have remained in the fuel tank after soldering work was carried out on it.

uncle told me approach to such problem being , check fuel flow at the fuel pump level, at the carb level and lastly atthe banjo bolt. if fuel line is patent then spark plugs need a look and then if they are in order the distributor assembly comes next.

This is the exact problem with my CJ3B now and being worked on the same list you have published. Good progress.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 13:22   #54
BHPian

Thumbs up JEEP - CJ3B - Self - Painting TIPS

HI,

I'm planning to paint my vehicle on my own . CJ3B .

I'm planning to start off with the rims .

Please help me with the process involved .

My knowledge - Correct me if I'm wrong
  1. Scratch of the existing paint with sand paper
  2. Mix paint with thinner
  3. Apply paint - with brush / spray paint machine
I'm planning to do all the work of my jeep myself with the expert guidance of GURUS in T-BHP
propeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 08:03   #55
BHPian

This is what i'm planning to paint and this is my CJ3B
Attached Thumbnails
All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00265.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00271.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00262.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00263.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00264.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00266.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00267.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00268.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00269.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00273.jpg  

Old 29th November 2009, 07:58   #56
BHPian

was off some time , and the jeep is doing great.
for a repaint what i have seen is that when u scrape it off use a mechanised tool and not sand paper and scrape it off till the steel, then primer and paint, the issue i am facing is with the silicone filling coming off from corners and with it not retaining the paint either, so find a solution to that before hand. i was polishing my jeep the other day and noted this.

the silencer is due for a change and reverting back to the smaller jet again, is the next agenda.

after that some add ons i had purchased, will go on the jeep.

started the jeep after a 16 day gap early inthe morning in delhi november and voila....it started ina jiffy with a choke. thats it. no fuss no sweat.
loved it.

spent about a day with ubs sir and got a load of info to help myself.
also a glasss ac fuel filter , a new solex carb and hand brake cable and a three spoked steering wheel.
Old 29th November 2009, 16:32   #57
BHPian

Talking Started my Journey - CJ3B - Modification

Quote:
was off some time , and the jeep is doing great.
for a repaint what i have seen is that when u scrape it off use a mechanised tool and not sand paper and scrape it off till the steel, then primer and paint, .
Well i've started today my work .

Did not get a machine to scarp and no spray paint machine.

My rim to start with , the raw materials ( paint , thinner , brush , sand paper and banian cloth )

Let the pictures do the talking now.

How is the color - have done 2 coat .

It was fun. Going in for for wheels now . Hope to finish by this week.

My next would be brakes . help me with how do we change or make the brakes more effective.

Planning to change the brake cylinder , shoes and also scrub the cylinder.

MOD - Please put in appropriate thread if need be
Attached Thumbnails
All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00274.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00275.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00276.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00277.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00279.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00281.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00282.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00289.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00283.jpg  

All questions for CJ 3B-dsc00290.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 10:03   #58
BHPian

Work Stopped as i'm going in for JYPSY RIMS and Work would continue for the OLD GYPSY RIMS .

I've got a MM540 crashed vehicle . I'm looking at removing the brake assembly and fitting into my CJ3B .

Please let me know the process involved. The brake drums are fine and mass cylinder is also fine.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:54   #59
BHPian

putting the 550 brakes on a 3b is quite common. inmine i have the 3b brake set only though. i feel they are quite adequate and effective, though the balancing of the brakes needs to be done perfectly to avoid the pulling to one side on braking hard .
gypsy rims after so much effort???? better tyre options is the reason??

i am really impressed with my jeep starting without a delay in these cold days , brings a smile to my face each time .....
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:24   #60
BHPian

Unhappy Tough Decision

Quote:
putting the 550 brakes on a 3b is quite common. inmine i have the 3b brake set only though. i feel they are quite adequate and effective, though the balancing of the brakes needs to be done perfectly to avoid the pulling to one side on braking hard .
gypsy rims after so much effort???? better tyre options is the reason??

i am really impressed with my jeep starting without a delay in these cold days , brings a smile to my face each time .....
You are correct . last week i would have smashed a two wheeler to the median because when i brake the vehicle turns to right. This problem has been going on after 2 or 3 consultation with different mechanic . So finally decided to change the brake to MM540 and got a scrapped MM540 for the same. MM550 disc will fit in front but at the rear you cannot put it it seems.

If i can get a CLASSIC brake assembly nothing like it. I would fit like a glove

The tyres & Rims - yes i know , i still feel the pain in my wrist and forearm because of the scrubbing . But unfortunately here in chennai we have only Palar which is sandy and we need broad tyres that why .

If its possible to put broad tyres on the same rim itself for sandy and slush kind of surface that would be delight .