Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 11th August 2009, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Question Mechanical fuel pump for Hurricane Motor (CJ3B)

Hello All,

I am facing this peculiar problem with my Mahindra CJ3B. The Old Mechanical fuel pump gave way very shortly after I got the Jeep started 2 years back. I was lucky to get hold of an old stock Carter type fuel pump for the Jeep. This pump was realiable for some time, but it started leaking after a few months and stopped working after every few kilometers. As I was not able to source a repair kit for this pump, I bought a localy made mechanical fuel pump. I was assured by the vendor that it is a good quality product and it would work fine. This pump (Although it seemed to be for a Fiat engine) was fitted to the Jeep. It worked well for few days but then started giving the same problem. It now runs for about 30-35 Kms before it heats up and stop working. Also if I am driving in stop and go traffic, it gives way even quicker. But once you get cruising it works without much trouble.

Is it normal with all petrol engined Jeeps. If not what is the probable cause of this problem. I am not able to figure out if the problem is with the Engine over heating or the pumps are not of good quality. I have been advised to look for Jeep specific fuel pumps to resolve this issue, but I have not been able to find one.

Please help!!

regards
Jasvinder
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 14:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

This thread should be interesting!!!
I myself faced a lot of problem at the last OTR with the mechanical PICKO fuel pump!!!

My CJ3B originally came with the UCAL mechanical FP which at the workshop (Jasvinder's) as we are not able to source the overhaul kit for that!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 22:02   #3
BHPian

hi jaswinder, odd for u to be disels maniac........
anyhow i posted the same issue on the cj3b thread, lets see what replies and solutions we get.
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 12:39   #4
BHPian

Default Question for MM440 (Jammy) & Arka

The Fuel pump seems to be the true achillis heel of the petrol engined CJ3B.

Overheating of the pump and the resulting engine stalling is the most common and rampant problem with this jeep.

I wish experts on this engine could throw some light on whether there is lasting solution or are we resigned to drive with a wet cloth around it during long drives.

MM440 (Jammy) and Arka could you please add your views here.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 17:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear diesel maniac / Harjeev - I have the complete solution and I think I have mentioned it somewhere also. I don't have time to reply today. I'll reply tomorrow. Please PM me or call me on my mobile (Harjeev, I think you have my mobile number or you can get it from Sudhir Kashyap).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 18:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not use an electric fuel pump like the one that used to come in old Contessa's? I bought Contessa's UCAL Mikuni electric pump (Rs.800) for my SS80 and it used to run fine with electric pump. Can be remote mounted away from the heat if required. Once the mechanical pump was fixed i retained the electric one as a backup.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:36   #7
BHPian

@ Sankar: I have a Ucal Electric Fuel pump already installed inline with the mechanical one. The problem I face is that it also stops working due to heat built up in the engine bay. I am also thinking about mounting it some where else and see is the issue is resolved. Had a word with UBS. Will be trying his suggestions and update the thread about the progress made in this regard.

@Behram: Sir, I have PMed you. Waiting for your suggestion.

Jasvinder
Old 14th August 2009, 17:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

diesel_maniac you're right it has to be mounted away from heat for it to work reliably. Otherwise heat kills it. Contessa had it's fuel pump mounted near the tank. I had it fixed on the firewall to one side as far away as possible.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 18:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
@ Sankar: I have a Ucal Electric Fuel pump already installed inline with the mechanical one. The problem I face is that it also stops working due to heat built up in the engine bay. I am also thinking about mounting it some where else and see is the issue is resolved. Had a word with UBS. Will be trying his suggestions and update the thread about the progress made in this regard.

@Behram: Sir, I have PMed you. Waiting for your suggestion.

Jasvinder
It is a good idea to fit the Electric Pump Inline. Make sure you fit it closer to the tank for best performance. Also, since the CJ3B's tank is below the seat, mount it on the chasis just below the outlet from the tank. You don't need to worry about water because this is runs on DC current. Have a switch control for the electric pump and use it only when the mechanical one heats up.

It is also good to use the electric pump when you are starting the jeep after a long time. There is more information posted by Brutus, Arka and Behram Sir on Harjeev's CJ3B thread.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:37   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the insight Santosh. Will sure keep these things in mind. Got to find Harjeev's 3B thread, as you said it has lots of info on the subject.
take care
Old 21st August 2009, 13:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Get a Nissan 118NE specification Electronic Fuel pump installed, do away with the mechanical fuel pump.

Carburettor and fuel pump service kits have gone out like gas street lights.

It is best to move to electronic pumps, they work fine in Cj3B jeeps.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:16   #12
BHPian

Thanks all for the input. There were two culprits behind this problem. One was the absence of small plastic/ fibre type packing that is fitted between the engine block and the fuel pump. This has lead to the FP finger getting inside the block more than it is required to. So the pump was pushing more fuel inside the Carb and hence flooding the engine. Also due to absence of this insulating packing more heat was getting transferred from the block to the FP. So the problem of FP being over heated. We also found out that the metal bushing inside the Jeeps Distributor had worn out. Due to which the it was rotating unevenly and hence creating a problem with proper point adjustment. This lead to uneven engine idling, in turn aggravating the problem. We drove the Jeep on Tuesday, after installing a packing made of a good insulating material and getting the distributor shaft bushing changed at the machine shop. The Jeep ran perfectly fine and we did not have to use the back up electric FP installed in it. Thanks once again for everyone's help on this problem.
Old 4th September 2009, 08:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on finding a solution to the stalling issue!!!
So Jasvinder which manual pump is currently being used in the jeep and how long did you guys drive to know for sure???

BTW did you manage to find service kit for the UCAL jeep fuel pump???
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 09:42   #14
BHPian

Thanks Harjeev !!

I am currently using the same Pacco make fuel pump that I installed a few months back. Harjeev we drove the Jeep from our workshop in Noida to Cannaught Place and Back ( Should be around 40-45 kms). Had to drive in long jams due to office hour traffic and the FP did not over heat like earlier times. Hopefully the problem is done away with finally.

Harjeev I am still on a look out for the kit. It is not so readily available. May be able to secure a new FP though. Will talk to Kaka (UBS), he told me he might be able to find them.
Old 19th April 2010, 03:30   #15
BHPian

Deja Vu !?
Jasvinder,...does the problem sound familiar !!! Hope you are able to find a similar solution to my problem too,...Have you spoken with UBS on this yet!?
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote