Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 7th October 2009, 13:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Two batteries would require a cut out circuit. Placing two batteries in parallel without a control unit would lead to charging and drain out problems. If another battery is installed, prefereably a deep cycle one ( like Optima ) for winching and extra load then a full cut out circuit is recommended.
It is NOT required. It IS recommeded. The only problem with a 2 battery set up with no switch or isolator is if one of the batteries goes bad. That can drain the other one. But the idea is to keep an eye on them and not let that happen.

The ideal way is to use 2, or more batteries with an isolator. An isolator is a device which lets the alternator charge both batteries but each battery's discharge circuit is kept separate (isolated) so that the discharge of one battery does not discharge the other.

A 'deep cycle' battery is a battery that is built to be drained and then replenished with a charge over and over again. Car batteries are NOT deep cycle batteries. If you do this to a car battery it will fail, become damaged, in relatively short order.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 21:28   #17
BHPian

Thanks guys, this thread was informative. Does anybody have any idea about the price for a new alternator of Safari. The used one is costing here aprox INR 4000.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 13:03   #18
BHPian

I checked with the Tata dealer and understood that the new alternator of Safari costs INR 26,000 which I can efford. I went for the used one which is quite a very good shape, had got this serviced and changed the cut out inside this.

Last Saturday I got fitted 2 hellas of 60W each and two fog lamps of 35W each and the head lamp bulb is Philips 90/100 W which I am going to upgrade to Philips 100/130. The results are amazing and it has a far batter lights in the nights now, good that I can keep them on even on idealing rev of engine.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not quite understand as to why you need a bigger battery. The single most important element in determining the battery size is the cranking power required. As for the rest as long as you meet the power needs with a proper alternator you should be Ok.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 18:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do not quite understand as to why you need a bigger battery. The single most important element in determining the battery size is the cranking power required. As for the rest as long as you meet the power needs with a proper alternator you should be Ok.
Some people with a lot of accessories like to keep a circuit separate for that purpose, e.g. lots of lights for off-roading or for use at night camping with the engine off. But, yes, you are quite correct, the alternator is prime source of electricity, not the battery(s) as many people think.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 00:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The single most important element in determining the battery size is the cranking power required. As for the rest as long as you meet the power needs with a proper alternator you should be Ok.
Few alternators can supply their rated amps. when the vehicle is idling or while running at low engine speeds like offroad trails.

In such situations the battery will be drained and so, the extra battery will help,

For on-road vehicle with extra lights, bigger alternator alone is sufficient.
But for off-road vehicles its better to have reserve battery.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 20:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

@brutus
As always you are an ocean of knowledge. Thanks for the info mate!!!

Great thread and the info provided by everybody is excellent!!!

BTW what is the size of an alternator on a stock Gypsy?

Last edited by harjeev : 9th December 2009 at 21:00.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote