Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 18th November 2009, 20:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Damn!!! Not even one Diesel vehicle up there (In the picture) !!! I am more scared now
1) No need to worry. I see a blue innova in the picutre and mostly it will be a diesel. If you look more carefully, you will see a sumo/spacio sort of car. The height and D-pillar will make it more clear that it is mostly a Tata Sumo or spacio.

2) Our relative once visited us in a Taxi when they had just booked Fiesta. He told me that he has been to Himalaya and was in leh for one week. His NA indica ( 53.5 bhp one ) climbed till there with full load ( I assume 5 adults + kids + luggage ). He clearly said power loss is there without doubt, but it will not leave you in helpless state. He also marked that petrol cars have a slight advantage here, which I am still not able to digest as the cars he was talking about were carb. Definitely you cannot escape power loss, but its nothing that major unless you are trying to race ahead.

Similar story I have heard from some Sumo drivers too. Nothing major to worry about here.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 21:30   #17
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Leh is around 10,500ft above sea level. Even if we consider 3% loss in power per 1000ft. You should still have close to 68-70% of the engine's power/torque at sea level (which is more than enough).
Shan2nu
To reach Leh from Manali side we need to cross second highest motorable road at 17000 + feet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
@K_S: shall we go next september? i will pay for the fuel bill till we reach MarsmikLa.
You will only dream and 100% sure you will not go in september, You are an offroader and you should go in June when roads are in worst condition.

Quote:
The whole idea was this trip. Having said that, I think Viji and Shakir went there in a soft top Gypsy, and they told its not a concern. I do not know if they used Heater though.

Thanks
--Sree--
We never used Heater to be frank heater does not work in Gypsy only warm cloths and monkey cap is the saviour.
Sree one member could have told but unforunately he expired Alfo_Kilo, He took his 540 to Leh and we saw it.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
(Just 4 people and the driver, each averaging 65 kgs) In the process, we also faced engine over-heating.
Would love to know if you are planning it next year.
Cheers,
Deepak
Deepak, i think 4 is overloaded considering the conditions. Yes i am planning it for 09. Will let u know the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Why Don't you buy a stallion for this Expedition, i am damn Sure it Goes,
LoL!!! any leads for a Stallion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey Sree,

Don't bother about all this. Take my Gypsy and go. You pay the fuel bill and I will be your designated driver :-)

Cheers,
he he he!!! I must say i am so delighted for this offer!!!!

Quote:
Dont worry pa! get the engine done up and make sure the compression is good. petrol engines need tuning at every altitude as it changes. diesels can tollerate the changes in AFR. only thing you see is black smoke but they can make it with reduction in power. since our jeeps are blessed with "4L" and hub locks, it can compensate for power loss. you have tune the FIP to run lean to reduce smoke which will only result in reducing only smoke but not gaining any power. how about a electric turbo? which can be used on demand. can make difference in starting the engine at higher altitude.
get a flat roof hard top. and a carriage on it, just like those camel trophy LRs. have a high CCA rating battery installed. engine oil which is suitable for cold regions. dont use 20-40w there. and how about heaters for oil sump which can be fixed through drain bolt. can get it done here in bangalore.

@K_S: shall we go next september? i will pay for the fuel bill till we reach MarsmikLa.
Exactly!! U can tune FIP for lean fuel, bu it will have very less effect on power delivery it only reduces smoke, which in not the primary goal. For all other tech details, i need to talk to you personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sree - the trick is to maintain "required" air fuel ratio. As air is going to be less, you have to reduce the fuel injected. Power delivered at the flywheel will of course reduce. I presume your vehicle is an MM540. Please let me have details of the engine, is it XDP4.90 / XD3P? I would also like to have the transmission / axle ratios and the tyre size. I can then guide you on steps to be taken to recalibrate your fuel system to operate your engine on high altitude. I will have to gather this information so please give me some time.

Dear Shahnawaz - Hello after a long time. I like the caption at the bottom of your above thread. How true you are! I get affected by it daily. Jai Ho!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir,

Thank you very much for the inputs. Here goes the details

1) MM550 XDB
2) XD3P
3) BA-10
4) 4.88
5) Currently NDMS (28") But planning for an A/T

Is this re-calibration is only applicable at High Altitude? I am driving from B'Lore.

PS: Don't tell me that some of your ideas are Spoiled/Regected by taking it to a meeting!!!! that can give Cardias Arrest for some of us!!! You know what i mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) No need to worry. I see a blue innova in the picutre and mostly it will be a diesel. If you look more carefully, you will see a sumo/spacio sort of car. The height and D-pillar will make it more clear that it is mostly a Tata Sumo or spacio.

2) Our relative once visited us in a Taxi when they had just booked Fiesta. He told me that he has been to Himalaya and was in leh for one week. His NA indica ( 53.5 bhp one ) climbed till there with full load ( I assume 5 adults + kids + luggage ). He clearly said power loss is there without doubt, but it will not leave you in helpless state. He also marked that petrol cars have a slight advantage here, which I am still not able to digest as the cars he was talking about were carb. Definitely you cannot escape power loss, but its nothing that major unless you are trying to race ahead.

Similar story I have heard from some Sumo drivers too. Nothing major to worry about here.
Nice to hear!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Sree one member could have told but unforunately he expired Alfo_Kilo, He took his 540 to Leh and we saw it.
How true!!! I also thought about Him. May his soul RIP

Thanks
--Sree--
sreerajunnithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 00:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i am planning it for 09. Will let u know the details.
Deepak, please read 09 as 10 . Sorry for the Typo.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 19th November 2009, 08:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sree - thanks for the specification. I presume that the transfer case is T18. Please ensure that the BA10 shifter is OK. Remote shifter is now obsolete. You must ensure shifter reliability, especially for the remote areas that you will visit. Also your comment regarding my "PS", it is prudent not to get into other areas, let's enjoy our passion of Jeeps and 4 wheel drive, shall we! You will surely understand what I mean. I can't go further than that. That's why I told you that TeamBHP is my release valve in the midst of all that I do. Give me a call or give me your mobile number. We need to talk.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 09:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Behram Sir:

Sree has an orignial (unmodified) MM550 XDB with XD3P engine and the 5-Speed BA10 gearbox. I thought these came with the Borg Warner Manual T-case instead of the T18?
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please ensure that the BA10 shifter is OK. Remote shifter is now obsolete. You must ensure shifter reliability, especially for the remote areas that you will visit.
Sree, try to meet up on some weekend before jan. I will let you know how to shift the gears in BA10 in case of shifter failure if you are not aware.
star_aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 12:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To reach Leh from Manali side we need to cross second highest motorable road at 17000 + feet .
Theres a reson why its called "Motorable" road. So no need to worry too much.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 12:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sree - thanks for the specification. I presume that the transfer case is T18.
Still a big confusion Behram sir, I do not know if it is T-18 or Borg Warner. Rear Differential is Right offset. And shifting pattern is 2WDH--4WDH--N--4WDL in a single line pattern from top to bottom. I have seen a different pattern in T-18. Please help me identify this.

Quote:
Please ensure that the BA10 shifter is OK. Remote shifter is now obsolete. You must ensure shifter reliability, especially for the remote areas that you will visit.
Another Headache to take care, Touch wood, till now its silky smooth!!! BTW, do we have any permanent solution for this (Making Direct Shift)? I heard BA-10 Boleros had a direct shift Mechanism, i could be wrong here.

Quote:
Also your comment regarding my "PS", it is prudent not to get into other areas, let's enjoy our passion of Jeeps and 4 wheel drive, shall we! You will surely understand what I mean. I can't go further than that. That's why I told you that TeamBHP is my release valve in the midst of all that I do. Give me a call or give me your mobile number. We need to talk.
he he he!!! I understand Sir, here is my numbers 09686033998 or 09342134583.

Quote:
Sree has an orignial (unmodified) MM550 XDB with XD3P engine and the 5-Speed BA10 gearbox. I thought these came with the Borg Warner Manual T-case instead of the T18?
Still a mystery Tini, Hope Behram sir will come back with a final answer

Quote:
Sree, try to meet up on some weekend before jan. I will let you know how to shift the gears in BA10 in case of shifter failure if you are not aware.
Sure Vijay, i know you have became a BA-10 shifter expert

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 19th November 2009 at 12:47.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
shifting pattern is 2WDH--4WDH--N--4WDL in a single line pattern from top to bottom. I have seen a different pattern in T-18. Please help me identify this.
Hey Sree, this is how your shifter will work. the Shifter assembly is same as for T18. it is the same for even two lever shifter. I hope the picture explains everything. Couldn't draw it in more detail.
Attached Images

Old 19th November 2009, 13:45   #26
BHPian

is retrofitting a turbo to your existing engine an option?

@swastikviji - no one has approached the manufacturer yet.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:54   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Sree, this is how your shifter will work. the Shifter assembly is same as for T18. it is the same for even two lever shifter. I hope the picture explains everything. Couldn't draw it in more detail.

He he. More than Gear Shifter, this looks like a hand-pump . No wonder...
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:

You are becoming increasingly "Funny" nowadays eh... One a serious note, he is referring to the circled part in below picture (Ignore The prop Shaft thing) See those 2 livers coming out of the transfer case?

NA Engines at High Altitude-img0018a.jpg

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 19th November 2009, 16:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
no one has approached the manufacturer yet.
Hmmm, the manufacturer seems to be busy in attending parties and not taking our orders.

Quote:

you making fun of my drawing?? or M&Ms design??
Old 19th November 2009, 20:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sree,

My intrepid Tata Spacio made it over the Kardungla easily. At high altitude it balked and stuttered a little only when I really put my foot hard into the accelerator. That sure did not happen often up there. Mostly I had to find ways to go slower. I never adjusted the pump for any of my trips and had no trouble.

Two other hazards of note:

1.) Lots of very fine sand up that way. Air cleaners can get clogged very easy especially when you get stuck following trucks, army convoys and other traffic in the desert regions. That will kill performance at altitude real quick as it is the airy side of Behram's fuel air ratio. I will take a spare filter next time and leave it in its plastic wrap until I need it. The sand is like fine talc and gets into everything. It is not what you want in a filter or engine. I poured about a third of a cup of sand out of my filter last time and then just threw it away and put in a new one.

2.) Stay away from bus windows at the top of the passes. Altitude sick tourists can project an amazing amount of vomit a considerable distance in the thin air.

Here is a pic of my Spacio and my beloved Sherpa guide, Tenzing Norgay, after we make our successful assault upon the summit.
Attached Thumbnails
NA Engines at High Altitude-khardungla-top.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote