Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 29th July 2010, 09:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Let Me Know Make Model of the winch, i will Ask My fabricator,
I have not yet decided on the make and the model of the winch since I m not knowledgeable on them and am still researching. By the way, which one would you recommend for the Scorpio?

It would also be great if you could enlighten the price and the best procuring method as well.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 10:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I think it would be wise not to lead with your winch. If I decide to put a winch on my Invader I will put some substantial steel in front of it so that my winch is not what makes first contact with an obstacle encountered from the front. I have also seen many vehicles leading with with their off-road lights. Lights and winches do not make good bumpers.
You are spot on man , maybe a bull bar will do the trick
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 17:02   #33
BHPian

Thanks guys for your comments.
@samurai: did you think that I should have gone for more than 6000 lbs?
The whole thing with shipping , duties and installation should not cost more than Rs. 75,000/-
cheers
rallystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 17:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have not yet decided on the make and the model of the winch since I m not knowledgeable on them and am still researching. By the way, which one would you recommend for the Scorpio?
A winch for a 2WD , whats the idea behind installing one ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 18:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
A winch for a 2WD , whats the idea behind installing one ?
The idea is to make a 2WD as capable as possible so that it extricates me out of most situations where my MLDs too may fail to pull me out.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:37   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
Generally 8000lb is the recommended winch for Jeeps. I have the Ramsey REP8000.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 00:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:

It would also be great if you could enlighten the price and the best procuring method as well.
Hi
I prefer WARN because of quality and after sales backup. Ramsey is good but officially we don't have any one here in india to service, (if somethings goes wrong) last week i upgraded my 8000 pounds winch to XD 9000 from WARN. it easily pulled a Nissan patrol from full Slush.

In lot of US websites WARN 8000 is on Discount price please check,
swastikviji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 05:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I prefer WARN because of quality and after sales backup. Ramsey is good but officially we don't have any one here in india to service, (if somethings goes wrong) last week i upgraded my 8000 pounds winch to XD 9000 from WARN. it easily pulled a Nissan patrol from full Slush.

Whats the cost of the Warn 8000 if purchased from banglore outlet?
davids4x4mm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 09:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
Thanks guys for your comments.
The whole thing with shipping , duties and installation should not cost more than Rs. 75,000/-
cheers
The general thumb rule for choosing winch capacity is "weight of vehicle X 2.5"
So for a vehicle weighing 1 ton (Gypsy) it would require a winch rated at 2.5 tons.
Doing an approximate conversion of 1 ton = 2000 pounds, the winch would have to be about 5500 pounds.
Most gypsy owners prefer the 8000 pounds as the cost difference between 6000 and 8000 is very marginal.

Similarly for an MM550 (weighing abt 1.5tons) you would require an 8000 pounds winch.

This thumb rule is more or less common across the globe.

Hope this helps
Cheers
GB

BTW 75000/- is too high you can get a
1) Warn 8000 for about 60K - Narayan, Bangalore
2) Britpart 8000 for about 50K - Allan, Mumbai
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Same thoughts here as well. But do you think that an 8000 pounds winch is sufficient for a Scorpio?

Also, do you have any specific model in mind? And yes, what do you presume would be the cost if procured from India?
Old 30th July 2010, 22:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Same thoughts here as well. But do you think that an 8000 pounds winch is sufficient for a Scorpio?

Also, do you have any specific model in mind? And yes, what do you presume would be the cost if procured from India?
Sir considering your usage, M 8000 is More than sufficient, if u want to test lets meet in next OTR and we will try, i think pulling a Scorpio with a winch fitted vehicle is the same as self recovering a scorpio with its own winch, exactly i don't know. but practically we pulled our friends Scorpio without any snatch block many times, if you use a snatch block it will easily gives more rating,

Regarding cost fifteen days back when we enquired Mr.Narayan quoted 56K but he don't have any stock of Warn 8000 pounds. he has Tabor winches in stock.

From USA same 8000 pound winch, Mr,HG Nishanth got through a web site it costed him 49k, only thing u wont get local warranty.
Old 31st July 2010, 00:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Generally 8000lb is the recommended winch for Jeeps. I have the Ramsey REP8000.
samurai how are they?
even recovery vehicles of mahindra also have them.
they are 300$ to 400$ cheaper then same capacity WARNs (checked on net ).

nikhil
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding cost fifteen days back when we enquired Mr.Narayan quoted 56K but he don't have any stock of Warn 8000 pounds. he has Tabor winches in stock.

From USA same 8000 pound winch, Mr,HG Nishanth got through a web site it costed him 49k, only thing u wont get local warranty.
I checked the XD 9000 Warn online and the price was around 1000.00USD but the shipping cost was around 1300.00USD which I feel is not at all worth it. Can you tell me which site Nishanth bought his winch from?

I also feel that Narayan Murthy is more of a money making shop than VFM option.

I intend to come to an OTR soon, its been quite some time since I have been to one.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I checked the XD 9000 Warn online and the price was around 1000.00USD but the shipping cost was around 1300.00USD which I feel is not at all worth it. Can you tell me which site Nishanth bought his winch from?

I also feel that Narayan Murthy is more of a money making shop than VFM option.

I intend to come to an OTR soon, its been quite some time since I have been to one.
Sir what ever u try to do, it will not cost you less then 65000.00, thats why i told you to check with Narayan.

one more thing i want to tell you if something goes wrong in a winch you have to send it back to USA shipping address, who will bare that courier cost?

i already faced this issue, with the experience i am telling you without warranty just say no to this winches.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:57   #45
BHPian

Rallystar, you 'really' have done a super job on the winch. I must say a very cleanly executed job. Please tell me the location of Vincys workshop so that I can visit him and congratulate him on a wonderfull install . Maybe your recomendation will persuade him to work some wonders on my Gypsy too ..!!
ketla2411 is offline   Reply With Quote