Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 19th January 2010, 13:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Question Seating Position / Option while offroading on inclines (at roll angles >30 degrees)

The last OTR over the weekend threw up a lot of questions for me.

Before i go to my query, see my situation first:

We were crossing rut and jeep must be inclined at say 35 odd degrees i guess. Now if you look at pic attached, you will see how much both of us are leaning.

Now this is where the problem arises. How do maintain a seating posture and also turn the wheel at the same time?

The seats themselves don't offer any support. Thankfully my seats had the captain armrests and i could use support. With the lack of a PS, one needs both hands to turn the wheel. In this case i had to let go of the wheel for a brief moment to catch myself from falling onto my co-passenger. This could have resulted in an accident (although it didn't).

I noticed that people with vehicles with doors, use their elbows positioned outside the door and kinda sandwich the door between the elbow and body to keep seated while also turning the vehicle.

How do you do this in a doorless vehicle. Any suggestions.

Better seats with body hugging contour could help.

Also i think inertia seat belts in a jeep a useless. They don't prevent sliding and even if someone rolled over at a slow speed, they would not engage.

I think as a rule either have non auto retractable belts or the rally harness.

So what options to prevent this sliding while driving at an angle? How do you counter-balance in your Jeep?
Attached Images

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Safety First

Hi Tejas,

I does not matter if you tilt yourself along the slope, but make sure your are in a position to steer the vehicle.

While on a side Slope ALWAYS turn your wheels into the slope, in the case of the picture, to the drivers left. This will prevent the vehicle from rolling over.

If you have to travel a Side Slope, Zig-Zag along it e.g one wheel base down the slope and next up the slope slowly at a shallow angle.

This for a few reasons.

1) To prevent the driver from getting disorientated/loosing balance, because of prolonged tilting.

2) Allowing the weight to be transferred between the back and the front of the vehicle, before any end becomes dangerously unstable.

3) Resist gravity pulling you to the bottom of the slope. not always desirable.

Basically you go up a few feet/inches and then go down and repeat.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2010, 14:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If you see the sequence of events in the pics below, i came down and then needed to avoid the rocks thus the wheels faced in that direction and then i needed to turn in the opp direction when i kept slipping.

The zigzagging is a good option. What to do if one cannot zigzag?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote