Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:41   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,888 Times
Default

Scooby05,

Heres my guess :

Something is restricting the flow of coolant through the cooling system.

Therefore, at idle and slow speeds, its managing to mantain the temperature okay - but at higher load & speeds the cooling system can't keep up with the additional heat produced.

Possible points where this restriction in flow could be :
1) Thermostat not opening all the way as it should
2) Kink / bend in one of the pipes to/from the radiator
3) Weak water pump


My bet / hope would be point #1 - thermostat. Its easy to check and easy/cheap to replace too.

cya
R

EDIT - You might also wanna check that the connections are solid on all relays/cut-offs for the fans. Those could possibly be shaking loose at speeds? Though your problem doesn't sound erratic in any way, so its a long shot...

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2010 at 14:49.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:30   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Boss, As the car doesnt Heat in slow traffic with AC on, how does the size of compressor matter, though we have a sanden 507 on her fitted by millenium motors, the pune maruti dealers.
Boss, it does matter. You put a large compressor on that engine and it will overheat! due to the greater load. Why do you think manufacturer always keep the compressor at conservative specs?!

But i guess thats not the case here, though 507 is slightly heavy duty stuff. I prefer 505's but then if you are cooling the whole cabin it might not be adequate.

Your problem is to do with coolant circulation \ air circulation at the radiator:

1) It can be a bad thermostat - Chances are less since vehicle is new. I dont recommend removing it, since it kills the overall feel good factor, especially while starting up and initial driving, when cold.

2) The coolant cap is acting up, creating a vacuum lock in the system. Check coolant tank for any overflow signs. I remember another Pune member posting issue with coolant tank on his new Gypsy.

3) The radiator is not able to cope up with the AC. No other way out then, apart from moving the ac grill from front to under the car (if you offroad, you are toast!). Or go for a bigger / better radiator so you have more buffer.

How is the AUX fan, is it powerful enough and good enough for the size of the AC grill? Hopefully its mounted right on the AC grill and has proper shrouds?

One last question how is the spacing between both the grills? Is it possible for you to post a picture of the setup? Both from the front and the rear (engine bay side).
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:40   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Arrow Radiator with higher cooling capacity is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
...My question remains, what could be causing the extra load on engine in higher RPM that causes the heating?
Are you running the stock radiator? If yes, then the point 3 in Jaggu's post above is the answer.

The stock Gypsy radiator, with A/C condenser in front, is known to cause engine overheating, since it's cooling capacity is affected by the a/c condenser in front of it. So, you either move the a/c condenser to a different location or get a radiator of higher cooling capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...

3) The radiator is not able to cope up with the AC. No other way out then, apart from moving the ac grill from front to under the car (if you offroad, you are toast!). Or go for a bigger / better radiator so you have more buffer.

...

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 3rd March 2010 at 15:50.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:36   #19
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 479
Thanked: 298 Times
Default

Hi,

I faced a similar problem in my Gypsy King a few years ago.
I changed the radiator to a large copper core one made specially by Lawrence Radiators for me. It made no difference whatsoever.
I tried removing the thermostat. Still no success.
No one from Maruti or other well reputed A/C firms in Bombay were able to solve the problem.
The only thing which should work is a high powered electric fan in front of the condensor - I found out later that these are available.

I finally sold the King as I got tired of this problem.

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:41   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,543
Thanked: 80,243 Times
Default

Scooby, I had the EXACT same problem in my Jeep. When driving in the city, offroading, or any other activity at low speeds (including idling for 2 hours), there was absolutely NO overheating. However, the only time that it did overheat is when cruising at 80 - 90 kph. The minute I used to slow down (say to 60 kph), the temp needle would fall back in place.

Reason: Your radiator is entirely blocked out by the air-con condensor. At high speed, the air flow is entirely messed up too. You will notice this happening, irrespective of whether the aircon is switched on or off.

Solutions:

- Get an XXL size radiator with a more powerful fan.

- Give the radiator direct access to frontal air flow. Move the air-con condensor as per GoSlow's recommendation. I haven't personally seen any Gypsy with such a setup, but where else can it be moved?

This will require a certain amount of trial & error, as most significant modifications do. You are in luck because your Gypsy is in warranty & the air-con is dealer installed. Pass the headache on to them and REFUSE to take delivery until they sort the matter out. It's entirely their responsibility to make it work. Write an email to Maruti (from their website). You will be surprised with the quick response.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 12:52   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

i agree to the radiator size and powerful fan setup, but since the condenser is blocking air flow to the radiator, this phenomena of overheating should happen at low speeds also, in my opinion as vehicle speed increases "ram air effect" also increases, thereby providing air draft. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 13:03   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
i agree to the radiator size and powerful fan setup, but since the condenser is blocking air flow to the radiator, this phenomena of overheating should happen at low speeds also, in my opinion as vehicle speed increases "ram air effect" also increases, thereby providing air draft. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Spike
Hi Spike,

Are you saying that at higher speeds more air flows through the radiator at obviously higher speeds and escapes through the gaps in the Radiator & Radiator Grille, thereby reducing the cooling effect.

We have seen this problem in A/C fitted Armadas/MM540s.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 13:11   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,105
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Scooby, I had the EXACT same problem in my Jeep. When driving in the city, offroading, or any other activity at low speeds (including idling for 2 hours), there was absolutely NO overheating. However, the only time that it did overheat is when cruising at 80 - 90 kph. The minute I used to slow down (say to 60 kph), the temp needle would fall back in place.

Reason: Your radiator is entirely blocked out by the air-con condensor. At high speed, the air flow is entirely messed up too. You will notice this happening, irrespective of whether the aircon is switched on or off.

Solutions:

- Get an XXL size radiator with a more powerful fan.
- Give the radiator direct access to frontal air flow. Move the air-con condensor as per GoSlow's recommendation. I haven't personally seen any Gypsy with such a setup, but where else can it be moved?
.

This will require a certain amount of trial & error, as most significant modifications do. You are in luck because your Gypsy is in warranty & the air-con is dealer installed. Pass the headache on to them and REFUSE to take delivery until they sort the matter out. It's entirely their responsibility to make it work. Write an email to Maruti (from their website). You will be surprised with the quick response.
Its very strange, for the first time in my 40 years have I experienced a car heating at high speed[80kmph], though this is only when AC is on. The aux Fan has been replaced and works Very well and in the right direction, i.e. sucking in air thru the grill!

When I switch off the AC the temperature goes back to normal in 5 minutes! I am suspecting either a short cycling of the airflow by one of the 2 fans or need for a bigger radiator, but will first change oil-mobil, check caps, fill the gap between radiator and front cowl with thick foam.

My red gypsy '99 with an original radiator with AC does not heat!

I dont think this is feasible. Since the car is to be used at Khandala mainly, i guess need of AC is limited anyways, so why make such alterations


They will ask me to send the car over to Pune-millenium, and I will not be able to monitor, Maybe I can request them to get the problem checked at Sai Mumbai, where I know the owners.

Last edited by scooby05 : 4th March 2010 at 13:15.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 13:37   #24
BHPian
 
starter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 898
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
apart from moving the ac grill from front to under the car (if you offroad, you are toast!). Or go for a bigger / better radiator so you have more buffer.
Hey Jaggu,
Why can't we just move the condensor under the car?
Do you mean that this would get hit during serious off-roading?
Can't we conceal this somewhere near the rear-differential such that the probability of it getting hit is reduced?
How expensive and how difficult is it to put a bigger 3-core radiator into the gypsy? Would it need some modifications on the chassis to accommodate this?
Thanks a lot.
Warm Regards,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 13:59   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

Are you saying that at higher speeds more air flows through the radiator at obviously higher speeds and escapes through the gaps in the Radiator & Radiator Grille, thereby reducing the cooling effect.

We have seen this problem in A/C fitted Armadas/MM540s.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka,

The air flow also depends on the type of deflector used:- Parallel flow or Cross flow. Does Gypsy have two types? What type of deflector does it have?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th March 2010 at 14:01. Reason: add info
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 14:41   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default Definations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Arka,

The air flow also depends on the type of deflector used:- Parallel flow or Cross flow. Does Gypsy have two types? What type of deflector does it have?
Hi Spike,

My guess the Deflector is the Shape of the Radiator Grille leading to the Radiator.

Please educate us on the following.

1) Ram Air Effect (Cooling/Radiators)
2) Cross Draft
3) Parallel Flow Deflector
4) Cross Flow Deflector

Regards,

Arka

PS - With Diagrams and equations
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 14:49   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

My question in the earlier post still remains unanswered, what kind of deflectors were used on AC fitted Armadas and MM540s?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:01   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,454
Thanked: 1,789 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
My question in the earlier post still remains unanswered, what kind of deflectors were used on AC fitted Armadas and MM540s?
I don't know,What is a Deflector and Where is it fitted?
ex670c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:09   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Its very strange, for the first time in my 40 years have I experienced a car heating at high speed[80kmph], though this is only when AC is on. The aux Fan has been replaced and works Very well and in the right direction, i.e. sucking in air thru the grill!
I think we have a lead from Spike, check the grill configuration of the ac grill it should match the design of the radiator fin. Also as you mentioned the sealing should be good so that air doesn't leak.

Engine oil might/will not really help, i suggest you solve the heating issue before shifting to Mobil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Jaggu,
Why can't we just move the condensor under the car?
Do you mean that this would get hit during serious off-roading?
Can't we conceal this somewhere near the rear-differential such that the probability of it getting hit is reduced?
How expensive and how difficult is it to put a bigger 3-core radiator into the gypsy? Would it need some modifications on the chassis to accommodate this?
Thanks a lot.
Warm Regards,
Deepak
You can move it anywhere, but to keep the efficiency and the tubing to be minimum, usually its mounted somewhere close to the front passenger area in such set ups. This becomes a problem while crossing ramps.

Bigger radiator - Dont know the cost, but yes one has to custom build the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Arka,

The air flow also depends on the type of deflector used:- Parallel flow or Cross flow. Does Gypsy have two types? What type of deflector does it have?

Spike
Something which rang a bell for me and which might be the problem in this case.

Scooby some detailed pic of the grills would definitely help, Spike can identify the design for us also i guess.

External deflectors are not there in gypsy if i remember correct, been a while

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th March 2010 at 15:11.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 15:26   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Post Engineering gyaan on deflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I don't know,What is a Deflector and Where is it fitted?
Buhahahaha, so finally our Dear Arka has agreed that he doesn't know something. Let me try and explain, there are two types of deflectors (placed right behind the front grille on which the bonnet stay rod is mounted) parallel flow and cross flow deflectors, parallel flow have both the vertical plates parallel to one another, on projecting them towards the car centre line they never meet, whereas the cross flow are inclined towards each other, on projecting them towards the car centre line they meet at a point, both these along with the radiator shroud determine how the air is directed (Draft), if the deflector (along with shroud) is mounted according to the Radiator design there is very less possibility that air may escape no matter at what speeds, The very reason for using deflector with shrouds is to "direct the air" to its destination aka Radiator. Hope this clarifies

@Jaggu bhai smart boy you are

Spike

P.S.- If anyone in the forum could post a few pictures from the engine bay (Gypsy/MM/CJ) that would help and clarify things in a better way.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th March 2010 at 15:41.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virus problems/spyware problems! post here! SirAlec Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 16th July 2014 00:05
Mahindra Scorpio CRDE 2007 - Problems 'n' Problems chandrda Technical Stuff 3 13th November 2009 09:59
Heating & oil pressure problems on MM550 wayfarer 4x4 Technical 24 2nd October 2008 18:30
Power Steering and Over heating Problems In my Sierra sag_kv Technical Stuff 8 9th May 2008 12:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks