Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 11th March 2010, 13:05   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Can you elaborate a little more on this and about the general tuning process of this carburetor ? What is this trick set that you are talking about ? I understand so litte about carb tuning and tuning for me is onlly restricted to fiddling with the 2 screws on the carburetor, infact thats what i thought till now meant tuning !!!
And what about the acclerator pump, how and why do u need to tune that ?
Abd finally , what are tuning jets ?
Lotsa questions from a novice to the gurus.

Thanks for all your inputs.
Trick bit is to link the primary and secondary butterfly by manual link so that they open up simultaneously. It will reduce the FE but if you set it up proper will give you good low end grunt. Otherwise, the secondary opens only after certain RPM based on vacuum input. Avoid it again unless you feel serious issues with drivability.

Accelerator pump requires no tuning, only the rubber diaphragm should work proper. Can be confirmed by manually using the throttle and checking if its squirting petrol. In a new carb, should be a non issue.

Am no guru but this is general tune up method which i follow:
- Ensure your engine is otherwise is in top tune, tappets, plugs, plug caps, wires, coils, timing, airfilter, fuel filter etc etc. Always keep the carb tune up for the last.

- Plonk in new carb and let it run for sometime, ideally take it out for a small spin. Check for cable play, any vacuum leak, if all the vacuum circuits are working, leaks etc. Idea is to heat the normal operating temp and ensure all is well otherwise.

- First set the idle mixture, raise the rpm to around 1000 and adjust the idle mixture screw to achieve max rpm from the engine ie 1000+ x rpm from idle mixture adjustment. There will be a peak after which engine will start to sputter/become rough/slow down. From this peak point screw the idle mixture screw in by 1/2 to 3/4 turns to make the mixture a lil rich.

- Set the RPM to specification. It should idle smooth and should purr.

- Test drive the vehicle at all rpm range, slow and fast in all gears. If you are happy leave it at that. If you feel low end grunt can be better try advancing the timing by 1-2 deg and do a trial run. Double check if its not pinging or heating up.

Jetting options if you are trying out, get atleast 2 sets larger and 2 sets smaller and then its pure plug/play till hitting the sweet spot. This is a pain and try avoiding it as much as possible.

Maybe others can comment on this further.

EDIT: Set it like this and you will enjoy both power and mileage. If you go after mileage you will land up wearing out the engine and other parts of the vehicle by running it lean and i wont advice you on that

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th March 2010 at 13:09.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 20:12   #17
BHPian

Hey Abheek,

I am attaching pics of esteem carb installed in my gypsy king. I hope they are helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-053.jpg  

Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-054.jpg  

Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-055.jpg  

Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-056.jpg  

Can this esteem carburetor fit the Gypsy King ?-057.jpg  

HarneetBarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 16:16   #18
BHPian

Will the Esteem, 800, Zen Carburetor fit MG410 models just like King (MG413)?

My Gypsy carb has been screwed by the mechanic and he is unable to fix it. He is saying some dirt from fuel has blocked some pins which cannot be cleaned.

When enquired for cost of carburetor at various places the rates quoted range from INR6,800 to INR24500 (Essar Automotive).
Pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 16:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Check the manifold base, and compare them. I have a feeling they will. Esteem carb should be good.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 16:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Will the Esteem, 800, Zen Carburetor fit MG410 models just like King (MG413)?

My Gypsy carb has been screwed by the mechanic and he is unable to fix it. He is saying some dirt from fuel has blocked some pins which cannot be cleaned.

When enquired for cost of carburetor at various places the rates quoted range from INR6,800 to INR24500 (Essar Automotive).
Pardus - the 410 has a side draft carb. the 800, zen and esteem have bottom draft carbs. You will have to try and get yourself a 410 carb itself.
Gypsy-Boy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 22:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

ohh side draft?! Then it wont work, unless you can source a adapter or an old maruti 1000 intake manifold
Old 8th April 2010, 22:13   #22
BHPian

Thanks Guys.. MG410 has a side draft carb and the air filter assembly is also different setup.

Had been to Shivajinagar scrap yard and found a Mikuni carb. Wasn't sure if it was good enough since mechanic was not with me. Those b___ers were quoting 3.5K and were not ready to budge, so I had to say good bye. My mechanic is finally trying to mix parts from various old carbs and make one functional for time being.

Hope fully should have some good news by tomorrow evening.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

3.5k for old carb!! Its way too steep! Do let us know if it works out.

Something which you can try, immerse the carb in petrol, inside a small tub/can overnight, strip the carb and clean and blow dry with compressed air. Usually sorts out the blocks.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
Thanks Guys.. MG410 has a side draft carb and the air filter assembly is also different setup.

Had been to Shivajinagar scrap yard and found a Mikuni carb. Wasn't sure if it was good enough since mechanic was not with me. Those b___ers were quoting 3.5K and were not ready to budge, so I had to say good bye. My mechanic is finally trying to mix parts from various old carbs and make one functional for time being.

Hope fully should have some good news by tomorrow evening.
AFAIK you can also try n get yourself a Maruti Van carb ... that is also a side draft.
For this install, you may have to change the jet sizes - this is a trial and error process - try the carb first without changing the jets.

Cheers
GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 10:11   #25
Team-BHP Support

Maurti van carb if you are getting, try for new ones for final install. Its a tricky carb usually butchered and thrown out, that comes to the second hand market.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Maurti van carb if you are getting, try for new ones for final install. Its a tricky carb usually butchered and thrown out, that comes to the second hand market.
considering that the van is an overworked "mule" it is not suggested that you get a second hand one. Rather put a trip to JC road - you will surely get one from there - JK Automobiles / Car Automobiles / Essar (authorised maruti stockist)
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 14:44   #27
BHPian

Hi GB & Jaggu
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

My mechanic has tried all sorts of options to clean the blockage and had left the carburetor overnight in a petrol/oil tub, but no vain. he even mixed some parts from old thrown away carbs, still no use. I guess I will have to go for a new one to ensure peace of mind.

I had given my Gypsy for a minor engine overhaul to my local mechanic and had trouble sourcing spares from the so called authorised distributors.

Off late Car Automobiles does not keep much of Gypsy spares. Essar Automotive too delivered only half of the items after making full payment in advance and waiting for 4 days.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Did he try using high pressure air to clear up the passages? And whats the symptom you are getting now? Checking to ensure its not something else, like a bad ignition setup.
Old 9th April 2010, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,
I am not sure if he tried high pressure air, will have to check with him tomorrow.

During the trial run there was no pickup and Gypsy would struggle to pull itself even at small gradients. Had to engage to 1st gear and raise accelator at low speed. Experiencing some jerks as well at flat roads. All this started after the fuel tank went dry during trial run and fresh fuel was added. I don't think there is any problem with spark plugs or ignition. I have got new Lucas Ignition coil fitted as the old one had problem.

Background:
  1. Had compression problem with the engine, loss of pickup and oil traces in air filter assembly.
  2. Ignition coil was not passing current at required rate.
  3. Clutch plate was weakened.
Service done and spares replaced:
  1. Piston rings changed with new ones (one oversize)
  2. Valves re-adjusted
  3. Engine Seals/gaskets changed
  4. New clutch and pressure plate installed.
  5. Oil changed in Gearbox, Engine, Transfer case and differentials.
  6. New Lucas Ignition coil with ND-point condensor installed.
  7. Complete new Air filter assembly installed with warm air hose.
  8. Fuel filter and fuel line cleaned.
  9. Heat resistant pads for engine firewall.
What else could be the problem if not for the carburetor?
Old 9th April 2010, 17:51   #30
Team-BHP Support

So does the engine idle properly? and then bogs down as soon as you try to rev the engine / move the vehicle? As in hesitance to take off? Or is it just loss of power through out?

Have you checked the compression after the engine repair? Timing assembly is it set properly? As in the timing belt synchronization with cam shaft?