Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 25th March 2010, 17:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

I see the points made above and can get a sense of them also, but still, am not able to understand that why doesn't off-set wheels induce the same 'leverage, cantilever' etc etc -ve effects that spacers seem to induce.

I can understand that longer stud design spacers are not the best solution BUT If we have spacers fixed to the axle hub + studs on spacers to wheels design, then also do we have the same effects of leverage/cantilever etc etc?

At the end of the day, both these options of spacers & off-set wheels take the plane outward than the existing plane.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see the points made above and can get a sense of them also, but still, am not able to understand that why doesn't off-set wheels induce the same 'leverage, cantilever' etc etc -ve effects that spacers seem to induce.
If you use the wrong offset, it will have similar effect. The more you move the center of the wheel away from the hub, the more stress it puts on the components.

Heres a simple experiment you can do :

Hold out your hand perpendicular to you body, place a solid weight on your shoulder(deltoid), you dont feel much strain.

Now slowly move this weight away from your body, as the weight moves from your shoulder to your palm, the strain on the deltoids increases even though the weight of the solid object remains the same. The wheel hub is like the deltoids, the spacer is like the arm and the wheel is like the weight in your palm.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 25th March 2010 at 17:30.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 10:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

I can understand that longer stud design spacers are not the best solution BUT If we have spacers fixed to the axle hub + studs on spacers to wheels design, then also do we have the same effects of leverage/cantilever etc etc?

At the end of the day, both these options of spacers & off-set wheels take the plane outward than the existing plane.
Khan
Offset rims are broader than stock rims, typically it is this "extra" bit which sticks out (stock is 4.5J whereas mags are usually about 6.5 - 8.5J). If you check the distance between the shock mount and inner tyre wall between a stock rim/tyre setup and a mag/wide tyre setup, it will hardly differ.
This puts a lot lesser stress on the components.
In a spacer, the entire rim is pushed out and this causes excess stress as shan2nu () pointed out with his practical example.

Cheers
GB
PS - these practical learnings were "acquired" while trying out various tyre sizes on my cars.
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 14:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shahnawaz - By introducing spacers, essentially what happens is that the scrub raduis changes. If scrub radius changes, the wheel envelope from jounce to rebound in full articulation at all steering positions from lock to lock changes. At minimum risk, things can touch all over the place and wheel bearing life will reduce, at maximum risk, the complete suspension dynamics can go for a toss, destabilizing the vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 19:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Heres a simple experiment you can do :

Hold out your hand perpendicular to you body, place a solid weight on your shoulder(deltoid), you dont feel much strain.

Now slowly move this weight away from your body, as the weight moves from your shoulder to your palm, the strain on the deltoids increases even though the weight of the solid object remains the same. The wheel hub is like the deltoids, the spacer is like the arm and the wheel is like the weight in your palm.
Superb example sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahnawaz - By introducing spacers, essentially what happens is that the scrub raduis changes. If scrub radius changes, the wheel envelope from jounce to rebound in full articulation at all steering positions from lock to lock changes. At minimum risk, things can touch all over the place and wheel bearing life will reduce, at maximum risk, the complete suspension dynamics can go for a toss, destabilizing the vehicle.
@KS: Do you still wanna try? Be my guest please

On a serious note, there are much more options to explore when it comes to tweaking suspension settings.

Firstly, Why do you want your wheels to jut out of the normal? Wheels inside touching your leaf springs on lock?

Or are Wheels touching the mudguard on bounce?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 12:09   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Spacers & OffSet Wheels for putting in bigger tyres | Pro's and Con's

I have a cruze with upsized tyres of 225/50/17 (yokohama tyres).i had fixed the upsized tyre and alloys after running approximately 20k kms.that time it fitted correctly as half of the brake pads were gone..Now its time for me to change the front brake pads (Now 25k kms done) and the service advisor told me that after fixing new brake pads it is touching the alloys and hence need a spacer .As per him only maximum 5mm spacers are needed and it doesn't anyway effect the vehicle.The back new brake pads have been fixed correctly as it was not touching the wheels.Will it be a problem if i install spacers only for the front tyre's and where and how much will it cost in Bangalore.
lancer_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote