Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 30th April 2010, 08:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Timing is another key factor, earlier my jeep used to touch 80-85 and now (i strongly suspect retarded timing), its darn difficult to push it beyond 80 in the same driving conditions inspite of hotter weather.
Jaggu,
Definitely the engine retard will have heating up issues.
Bringing down the external (body) temp. of the fuel pump, so that it doesn't pack up is something that should and can be worked upon.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 12:17   #47
BHPian

Good News Jeepers !

The Doctor has been slowly working his magic on the ills that plagued my jeep.
The compression leak on the head has been fixed, and a new Walker Mech. fuel pump has been mounted. The jeep was test driven in the cut and thrust of rush hour traffic last evening for 45 min. The needle did go up to 85-90 but no bubble over from the radiator. The entire test drive was done on mech pump only with no electrical pump assist.

The next list of tasks before I take it out for an all out OTR are as follows;-

1. Re-Set tappets, and adjust engine timing.
2. Replace carburator pipe with one offering less restriction.
3. Mount the ignition coil on the fire wall, rather than the engine.
4. The carburator needs some attention (too technical for me to explain), something to do with a return line, or at least it sounded like that. This line was made a dummy till now.
5. A few other missing hoses from the engine block to the air-filter et all (again not elequent enough to explain this in detail).
6. Fitment of a radiator over-flow reservoir, and then use the correct coolant water mixture.
7. Re-mount the electrical pump on the chassis, near the fuel tank (Which my dear friends at Classic Motors mahindra a.s.s still got wrong for the second time, inspite of explaining this to them specifically. Petrol jeepers this place is best avoided, I have spent over 15 k there and they still show no interest in fixing my problems)

I am amazed at how specific the Doc is being,..and dont even talk about patience.
I owe you one big guy,...!

Last edited by Torque-ative : 30th April 2010 at 12:31. Reason: added info.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 22:20   #48
BHPian

Hi Torque,
Trust me and i know that your Jeep is in good hands . I know your Jeeper friend very well he is very knowlegeble and knows all about Jeeps.
Do what he has told you to do and you will have a Jeep without problems.
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 00:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Hi Torque,
Trust me and i know that your Jeep is in good hands . I know your Jeeper friend very well he is very knowlegeble and knows all about Jeeps.
Do what he has told you to do and you will have a Jeep without problems.
Pm me,....if you know my "our" friend......!!

It hurts to not let him be known and help tons o' other 3 B owners,..but then,..his wish shall be kept !

For one,...I know what the Midas touch means
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
...The Doctor has been slowly working his magic on the ills that plagued my jeep.....
.....I am amazed at how specific the Doc is being,..and dont even talk about patience...!
Quote:
...For one,...I know what the Midas touch means
Great to hear that the jeep survived that kind of a drive in the kind of weather in Delhi now. I am sure this is just the beginning and things will be sorted out completely in due course of time. And well that doc is known for his no-nonsense diagnosis for petrol jeeps particularly 3b.Follow his prescription blindly and the ailment should be healed by all probability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative
Petrol jeepers this place is best avoided, I have spent over 15 k there and they still show no interest in fixing my problems)
+1 to that, but people are not blessed with much of option. We saw another bhpian's 3b there yesterday, hope his experience turns out to be much better.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:20   #51
BHPian

The water body needs replacement too, not working up to speed.
Next is the Aux radiatior fan, and coolant system and we should be all set to go.
The rest of the issues all taken care of,... almost !

Huurray !! Lets hope the old girl makes it thru the next OTR, without blowing her head again.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:07   #52
BHPian

Congratulations Naveen !! Hope the Jeep runs well for time to come, it seems the Doc has done a good job with your Old girl. Looks like its a long way to go for a guy like me to be able to fully understands these old machines and the nitty gritties involved in rebuilding them to be reliable enough for long term use. Wish you and your Jeep lots of luck for the next OTR. As they qoute in the Jeepers speak: May the Fours be with you.
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Congratulations Naveen !! Hope the Jeep runs well for time to come, it seems the Doc has done a good job with your Old girl. Looks like its a long way to go for a guy like me to be able to fully understands these old machines and the nitty gritties involved in rebuilding them to be reliable enough for long term use. Wish you and your Jeep lots of luck for the next OTR. As they qoute in the Jeepers speak: May the Fours be with you.
Thanks for the wishes Jasvinder,...! I owe you a lot of gratitude in helping me put my jeep together. I would not have had the courage to start this project on my own.

Yes you are right about the Doc,..he has lived and breathed these jeeps all his life and lesser mortals such as us could spend a life time trying to get to such levels of understanding and feel for the machine,..where it is almost as if there is an invisible
connect.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 4th May 2010 at 22:53.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:05   #54
BHPian

bump,...any more ideas guys

Last edited by Torque-ative : 19th May 2010 at 01:14.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:56   #55
BHPian

All parameters (ie, Timing, compression leaks, New radiator install, new mech. fuel pump) have been checked.

Any idea why the vehicle could still be overheating.

This is a re-sleaved engine and ran brilliantly for the first 1000 kms on and off road.
The only variable that has changed is the weather, and the later detected compression leak.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:16   #56
Team-BHP Support

What kind of temperature is the engine heating to? and what is the current set up of cooling system. Is there any heavy coolant loss while heating up?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 10:35   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why the vehicle could still be overheating.
There's no rocket science behind this issue. Just go through all the following elements methodically ruling out each and you should find your solution

1. Malfunctioning thermostat

2. Cooling system leaks, restricted water flow, faulty radiator cap, heavy scaling around cylinders

3. Loose fan belt, missing fan shroud, too large a distance between fan and radiator

4. Water pump issues such as leakages, impeller loose on shaft or worn/corroded out

5. Clogged radiator, inadequate radiator ie channels etc

6. Inadequate exhaust evacuation, crushed silencer pipe etc. Test is to see vaccum reading, too low a reading shows inadequate evacuation

7. Drivetrain friction, anywhere from a diff issue to catching brakes

8. Engine low compression, retarded timing

9. All our Jeeps have the air intake from inside the engine. Which means the air that is going into the carb is already rarified so the engine will run hotter. One of the things I want to do is connect the aircleaner intake to a large pipe and have it suck in fresh unheated air direct, maybe a snorkel. This should help engine run cooler

10. Lean mixture, a richer mixture runs the engine cooler

Try out all these and let us know if it still overheats

Last edited by DKG : 19th May 2010 at 10:38.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 13:19   #58
BHPian

Deepak,
Thanks a ton for your pointers. Will be paying close attenetion to all points.

Its amazing and very amusing indeed on what a wet sock can do to the perfromance of a CJ3B.
The jeep was driven at flat out speeds (60-75 kmph) on NH8 to Gurgaon where it is parked.
The best part,... all on mechanical and the pump did not give up thanks to the wet sock, and relatively thin traffic conditions.
At rest the radiator water was visibly boiling (did not spill over as I did'nt have to cap on).

Lets hope once run in the engine heating issues too will be addressed.
The POA is to let the heatwave pass and rake in miles on the jeep to run it in properly, and hopfully a few engine oil changes later we should be able to see a reliable jeep.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:42   #59
BHPian

Naveen Congratulations for a wonderful drive. Hope it has relieved you to a great extent that the vehicle does and can perform, although some issues might have to be addressed in order to make it truely reliable.

Hope the Jeep performs as well as this drive in coming drives and OTRs and make you feel more confident about the machine. Do keep us posted on any new experiences.
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 21:01   #60
BHPian

To, torque-ative,
One small clarification, did you check oil pressure in cold start later when it heats up.
Over heating can be caused if engine has seized even once, causing rings to scrape the cylinder. If oil pressure is below 1 bar when heated, then cylinder, connecting & main bearing to be checked. Since jeep stopped by it self it may not be fuel pump.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote