Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 18:49   #1
Newbie
 
sandipsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phagwara (Punjab) and Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool Auto transmission and power brakes / steering in a mahindra jeep

I see all sort of modified jeeps here in Punjab (so called "landi-jeeps"), among others some have toyota engine swaps. This made me think it is probably possible to put an engine in there that could be mated to an auto transmission. The reason I need such a setup is mentioned in my first two posts. If anyone can shed some light on this please do as I am very keen on starting such a project. One of my dads friends is a retired Brigadier so im sure he can help me pick up something from the Army. Or alternativly I can pick up a finished project and start an engine-swap project. I might be totally wrong but a few ideas that popped into my head was trying to import an old v8 with tranny from Canada or the states as scrap or pay the penalty duty. Another was maybe buying an innova engine off an accident car and maybe importing an auto transmission from a country where it comes as AT or the engine/tranny off an Optra/Sonata/Accord and maybe re-map it to give more torque over top speed.

I would justify an added cost of 1-2 lakh on top of the basic vehicle.

So tell me any mechanics/shops out there brave enough to take this on, is it at all possible?

Thanks in advance,

Sunny.
sandipsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 15:21   #2
Newbie
 
sandipsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phagwara (Punjab) and Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

No one have any input on this? I just need to know if it is possible to do or if anyone has seen it been done. And if so What sort of cost would be involved and what setup would be the easiest/best to do.
sandipsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 18:29   #3
BHPian
 
MexXxentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 248
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandipsn View Post
No one have any input on this? I just need to know if it is possible to do or if anyone has seen it been done. And if so What sort of cost would be involved and what setup would be the easiest/best to do.
Nothing is impossible
Only questions is "is it technically feasible & financially worth"

Most of the auto transmissions are interfaced with the Engines's ECM for its effective functioning. So better think of getting Engine+tranny
If you are serious about the project, try importing 'Nose cut' body of a donor ( a v8 or v6 machine of ur choice)
I had an idea in this line ; to import a 2.0 liter Suzuki v6 nose cut for my Gypsy.
Economically that was not feasible with all those hefty custom duties & I never had the right contacts to import it in another route.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 18:54   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,653
Thanked: 679 Times
Default

IIRC someone in the forum has installed an AT in his Jeep, don't remember the name though. Power brake and steering is definitely doable.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
IIRC someone in the forum has installed an AT in his Jeep, don't remember the name though. Power brake and steering is definitely doable.

Spike
Allan aka Xtreme_power from Mumbai has done it. Contact him
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 20:41   #6
Newbie
 
sandipsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phagwara (Punjab) and Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexXxentric View Post
Nothing is impossible
Only questions is "is it technically feasible & financially worth"

Most of the auto transmissions are interfaced with the Engines's ECM for its effective functioning. So better think of getting Engine+tranny
If you are serious about the project, try importing 'Nose cut' body of a donor ( a v8 or v6 machine of ur choice)
I had an idea in this line ; to import a 2.0 liter Suzuki v6 nose cut for my Gypsy.
Economically that was not feasible with all those hefty custom duties & I never had the right contacts to import it in another route.
I am definatly going to explore the idea of getting a V8 with tranny into the country. An MM with a nice V8 with all its torque is just to mouthwatering for me to not try. I am sorry I am not upto speed on mechanics lingo, what does 'nose cut' mean? Now the engine bay of a Mahindra will it be able to hold the engine or will modification has to be done due to extra weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Allan aka Xtreme_power from Mumbai has done it. Contact him
Thanks I am going to see if I can search up his treads or even pm him.
sandipsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 16:28   #7
BHPian
 
MexXxentric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 248
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Nose cut = part of the vehicle from b-pillar to front grill, may include or exclude suspension.
You can get full contents of engine bay, including the tranny.
MexXxentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 14:43   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,572
Thanked: 80,455 Times
Default

Why don't you instead buy a Scorpio 4x4 AT? I can bet you that, in the long run, this vehicle will work out cheaper than a DIY AT Indian Jeep. Not to mention, the time & headache saved are priceless. Importing nose cuts, V8 engines, AT's, then mating them and finally...the suspect long-term reliability can work out terribly expensive.

Pay more at the start, but get yourself a viable, workable and proven solution.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:42   #9
Newbie
 
sandipsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phagwara (Punjab) and Toronto, Canada.
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why don't you instead buy a Scorpio 4x4 AT? I can bet you that, in the long run, this vehicle will work out cheaper than a DIY AT Indian Jeep. Not to mention, the time & headache saved are priceless. Importing nose cuts, V8 engines, AT's, then mating them and finally...the suspect long-term reliability can work out terribly expensive.

Pay more at the start, but get yourself a viable, workable and proven solution.
That does make perfect sense, however not much about owning an Indian Jeep is a sensible choice. The Jeep idea for me was a long haul project that I could do over a couple of years ie. buy a chassis/body now store it and work on this over time. The Scorpio 4x4 AT would mean dishing out 10 odd lakh INR in one go on something that despite being a good vehicle in its own right still wouldn't offer the gratitude of driving an open jeep. I will have to think this over, the last thing I would want is for this to be a project that doesnt complete, hence why I am making this enquire to see if it is viable to do.
sandipsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HM Ambassador Modifications: Power steering, disc brakes etc. narendra.vw Technical Stuff 16 17th February 2017 16:42
Maruti Esteem - Non Power Steering to Power Steering udit78 Modifications & Accessories 14 4th May 2011 13:29
Power steering to manual steering? ramzsys Technical Stuff 18 11th August 2010 23:16
Mahindra Major 4x4 jeep- A/C & Power Steering, Diff. locks, Snorkel amit kumar 4x4 Technical 5 24th December 2009 10:22
Electric Power Steering Vs. Hydraulic Power Steering joseph5600 Technical Stuff 3 19th November 2007 20:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks