Hey there
The OME suspension id avalable at the place mentioned in the link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1049266-post22.html
His website - 4X4 | Home

Cost - ~50K

I believe this guy has the distribution for lots of products in India

Cheers
GB
Thank you GB. One more question if your may. How does it compare to CFL leaves in comfort and reliability ?
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 09:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Thank you GB. One more question if your may. How does it compare to CFL leaves in comfort and reliability ?
Comfort - Very good
Reliability - dunno as we sold the Gypsy a short while after building it (new owner has no complaints).
But reliability should be as good if not better than the stock ones.
You should go to the place yourself and check it out.

Cheers
GB
Gypsy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 20:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

I am looking to change my MM 540 bushes to these shortly, isolating vendors who can supply the right ones locally. I have already found a manufacturer who exports these from India but yet to receive a response from them on retailers for limited quantity consumption.
Dude, have you managed to get these air bushes???.

Also, what are all the options do we really have in india to make the 3Bs wearing gas suspensions.

Thanks
Venson.
venson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 21:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venson View Post
Dude, have you managed to get these air bushes???.

Also, what are all the options do we really have in india to make the 3Bs wearing gas suspensions.

Thanks
Venson.
Hey venson...

Saw a couple of airbellows, isnt impossible to fit in but will require some effort. The smallest I found was a industrial grade 1.75inch one in diameter and around 2inches in height. Its like 2 small inflated tire tubes stacked one on top of the other with metal plates on top and bottom. something like this;

http://product-image.tradeindia.com/...Suspensor-.jpg

These will require fabrication of brackets with circular inserts on the chassis as well as the base of the body shell. The ride quality is sure to improve coz of the compressed air inside the bellow working as a semi permeable shock suppressant in comparison to solid rubber blocks which become one with the body once they undergo complete compression cycle...ofcos then they shear making things even worse. The air pressure level that requires to be used for different applications will have to be determined through extensive testing. Mind you, the air pressure level will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the payload and body roll...

I will try and change a few main ones on my jeep once I get hold of one. The manufacturers will not sell small numbers for me to test and I havent found a retailer who stocks them so ..............you gotta wait for a bit mate!

Last edited by The Wolf : 10th July 2010 at 21:17.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:15   #35
BHPian

Default A Comfortable Gypsy ?

This thread did start with 'making a jeep more comfortable' heading, I guess talking about a Gypsy falls within this realm.
I have a 1997, Carb King in absolute stock condition. Did some mild off-roading with friends in Kanakapura and as a weekend drive.
Have been planning a drive up-north for some time in the Gypsy and decided to make it more long-distance friendly, so have been making the following changes.

1. Got a A/C fixed at 'Wecool' on Markham Road. No problems so far.

2. Took off the soft top and had a cabin fabricated, similar to a 'Rally - cabin' but extended it a little more, up to the top of the rear wheel arch. I think 'Rally - Cabins' usually are just up to the 'B' pillar. Gave me Insulation for better a/c and outside noise/dust as also a little security to the cabin to keep stuff on a long journey.

3. Had the reminder of the rear tub covered and the spare wheel mounted on top. This reduces the stress on the tailgate and the position is convenient. The tail-gate now opens up to a small boot again good for storing luggage.

4. Planning to put in after market rally seats like 'Sparco' or 'Recaro'. But unable to locate them in Bangalore.

This is it so far. Been thinking about Suspension but have not got any firm recommendation from any one either in favour of CFL or EMU.

I guess I will take a call once I get to use the vehicle after all these changes have been completed.

Manmohan.
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post

4. Planning to put in after market rally seats like 'Sparco' or 'Recaro'. But unable to locate them in Bangalore.
They will make the ride more uncomfortable. Rather go in for Laura seats as many have done. See GSFerrari's Gypsy Thread.

Quote:
Been thinking about Suspension but have not got any firm recommendation from any one either in favour of CFL or EMU.
CFLs have been given positive reviews in terms of softer ride.

Consider sand bagging the rear for a better ride.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
They will make the ride more uncomfortable. Rather go in for Laura seats as many have done. See GSFerrari's Gypsy Thread.
Thank you for the input Tejas. I thought that with better back and shoulder support they may be more comfortable. Will look up GSFerrari's thread.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd July 2010 at 13:26. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Do not go for race seats for road use, especially long drives...yes it does its job of keeping you in one place but when it comes to comfort I'd suggest a Innova or least a Baleno seat.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:06   #39
BHPian

Gentlemen, have finished most of the work as listed earlier and some more. Has taken much longer than expected peppered with a lot of silent teeth grinding and hand wringing. As is the precedence, I will be posting pics here of the completed vehicle soon, depending upon the delivery date. In the mean time I cannot seem to locate any supplier for CFL's, can anyone help me?
Old 4th August 2010, 22:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Suspension Systems,Ceiling Suspension Systems,Wheel Suspension System,Manufacturer,India

Please check the link and do post pics of your modifications.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 06:36   #41
BHPian

Seats for the Gypsy:

1. Tavera
2. Old Skoda Octavia (manual seats)
3. Indigo Manza (these are seriously comfortable but I am not 100% sure of the fit...worth trying out)

DO NOT go for sporty seats if you want to drive more than 300km in a day and on bad roads.

With most of the seats you will have to add a cushion to the Gypsy's roll bar which will get a bit too close to your head for comfort. Any upholstery guy can fit a nice gel cushion here.

You can also add a wooden slab into the driver/passenger footwell as a dead-pedal on the left side of the clutch pedal (and the entire passenger side). This gives your left leg some rest on long drives. On the passenger side it insulates from the heat coming through the firewall.

Use heavy insulation on the transmission tunnel (20mm heatlon) because this is where most of the heat comes through. Ruins A/C performance and makes it very uncomfortable in the footwell.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 14:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Firewall and Transmission Tunnel heat is actually too much in the summer season. The passengers get a good feel of that heat.

GS's idea is good to keep a bit of that heat away.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:40   #43
Senior - BHPian

LOL, thats to warm you guys up for TPC.

Best is to stick a thermo resin on the tunnel to keep the heat away. I "had" it a long time back before i got spoilt!!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 13:06   #44
BHPian

Hello once again, Regret the delay in posting the latest. However work was delayed and so was the time to be found for a proper trial. So this is how its worked out.

1. The A/c as reported earlier is working good and is worth the money.

2. The cabin came out ok and with the regular thermofoam insulation covered by the material used in a Maruti Van roofing (grey vinyl with pin-hole finish) has done wonders in reducing external noise, so no more soft top flapping noises and jumping out of your seat each time a lorry / bus blows its air-horn. The insulation has also done wonders to the cooling once the a/c is switched on. However huge gaps remain between the door and the frame.

3. Have retained the original seats as was not happy with the replacements that I considered as the seating height was raised bringing my head uncomfortably close to the B Pillar / roof, however did get the seat to move a few inches back from its regular forward - back movement limits thus helping in not getting my knees tangled with the steering each time one got in and out.

4. Retained OEM suspension but replaced shocks with similar gas filled ones from Monroe, along with the Michelin Lattitude CrossTyres (215/75) have made the ride positively better.

In the final analysis there is a definite improvement in the comfort levels, there is less noise, I have a/c that works wonderfully, the ride is smoother and the since the jangling noise each time I hit a pothole or a rumble-strip is gone the ride is audible smoother too. However the seating has been reduced to two but i have huge space to pack for any camping trip or a long road cruise plus security. Still need to put in a music system. It is an improvement. However the mileage is down to less than 9 KMPL, this was calculated on a flat out Mysore round trip with a/c, its possible if a more sedate 80KMPH is maintained this could improve.

I have not posted any pics of the vehicle from outside as it just looks like any other rally gypsy with a slightly larger cabin.

Manmohan.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manmohan,

Pics would be welcome and would give some nice ideas to others. Regarding the Monroe Gas Shocks, can you share the part number. I have been trying to get those in mumbai but unable to procure it as no one stocks it.