Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 00:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Accelerator Pedal of a Jeep

i would like to ask this question about converting the current suspended Accelerator pedal ,of M&M Jeep 540/550 and the forth coming THAR, to fix it to the floor. is it possible?

i think the accelerator pedal being fixed to the floor is more convenient and easy on the right foot and ankle compared to the conventional suspended accelerator pedel.

my bmw e36 and the current civic had the same kind of accelerator pedal, it was not suspended like the conventional set up along with clutch and break pedals, but it was fixed to the floor.

the conventional set is where all the three pedals (Accelerator, Clutch and Brake) are suspended in the driver footwell. i would like to fix the Accelerator pedal to the floor instead of being suspeded.

i have attached few photos to make it more clear.

please let your expertise and experience help me out with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Accelerator Pedal of a Jeep-2.jpg  

Accelerator Pedal of a Jeep-4.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 10th August 2010 at 00:26.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:39   #2
BHPian

@Parm,

The floor pedals will be more beneficial for the heel and toe technique
However isnt it a risk considering a carpet can accidentally push it?
Old 10th August 2010, 15:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
@Parm,

The floor pedals will be more beneficial for the heel and toe technique
However isnt it a risk considering a carpet can accidentally push it?
im asking about only the Accelerator pedal to be attached to floor, not the clutch and brake!

the carpet wont interfare with the floor pedal. you can check the current civic at any of the showrooms or service centres. its cut around the floor pedal. its a similar set up in bmws.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Small ideas do wonders, But I really wanted to know why did the mid time Jeeps after introduction of suspended pedals get rid of this floor attached pedals ?
Old 19th August 2010, 14:40   #5
BHPian

Pedal Option

Hi Parm,

There is an option of floor mounted pedal for use in Cj3B. Please do let me know which model are you thinking about. I can click and post the picture of the pedal for 3B tonight when I get home.
regards
Old 19th August 2010, 17:18   #6
BHPian

Hi Param,

The only one disadvantage of Floor mounded accelerator pedal in jeep is While climbing hill if we got stuck and we need to use break and a half clutch situation there is chance for the pedal will come out from the accelerator arm.I faced this situation lots of time in real life off roading(I din't get a chance to attend OTRS).
with full load jeep.most of the taxi jeepers fits spring from the body to the pedal.
Accelerator Pedal of a Jeep-picture-138.jpg
Accelerator Pedal of a Jeep-picture-140.jpg
Old 20th August 2010, 03:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Hi Param,

The only one disadvantage of Floor mounded accelerator pedal in jeep is While climbing hill if we got stuck and we need to use break and a half clutch situation there is chance for the pedal will come out from the accelerator arm.I faced this situation lots of time in real life off roading(I din't get a chance to attend OTRS).
with full load jeep.most of the taxi jeepers fits spring from the body to the pedal.
Attachment 409675
Attachment 409676
That explains why they are vanished in the later model. I think it would have been better to have this connection made permanent and let the floor attached gas pedal always stayed in the Jeep.

Most Viewed