Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 17th September 2010, 09:51   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default *Video* offroading guides - By Mahindra Great Escape

Excellent stuff for those just getting into off-roading. Presented by Hari Singh - National Rally Champion! Topics covered include slush, mud and water, all the while focusing on safety.

Introduction to off-roading:

Do's & Dont's of Off Roading:

The Great Escape:
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 10:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is what I appreciate about M&M and their effort in playing a part in promoting the 4x4 scene in India.

Thanks GTO for sharing.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 10:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default I am loving it!!

Thanks GTO for posting the same. This video is brain child of none other than Anand Mahindra himself.
Since i was actively involved in making this video i would like to share few things about the same. The objective of the video are precisely two as below-

During Great Escape Event-
  • Idea was to give an interesting medium to convey basics of off roading to first timers
  • Make briefing sessions more interesting and less lengthy
  • Reiterate safety tips to more experienced drivers
Online-
This is the first time ever an Indian manufacturer has come up with off road beginers tips. Hence among countless similar videos out there on internet by individuals people know this has come from a reliable source

Idea is to generate interest and encourage countless out there who would want to get into adventure / off road driving to set themselves free only in a Mahindra 4wd!!

In future we plan to have more specific video's for each situation. Like sand driving module, mud driving modules, expedition driving and preparedness etc....watch the space

Thanks for all your support. Welcome your suggestions.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:52   #4

Post Mahindra Great Escape

GOt this via email - Interesting videos. But this is probably suitable for beginners..none-the-less, not a bad initiative!

----------------------------

Mahindra Great Escape presents exciting video guides for off-roaders!

Mahindra & Mahindra is proud to present to all off-roading enthusiasts and beginners, a chance to understand off-roading as a serious subject. Enthusiasts can watch off-roading videos on Mahindra Great Escape’s channel on YouTube. These instructions are presented by Mr. Hari Singh, a national champion in the Rally circuit. He is a seasoned off-roader and in these videos he shares his experience in off-roading and his association with Mahindra Great Escape. The videos cover a range of topics that can guide off-roading enthusiasts to negotiate the difficult terrrain of slush, mud and water while going on an off-road trip, all the while focusing on safety. You can watch the videos by going to the following links:

1. Introduction to Off-Roading

2. Do's & Dont's of Off Roading

3. Mahindra Great Escape!

The Mahindra Great Escape – a customer-centric initiative from Mahindra

In essence, Mahindra Great Escapes are meant to be pure off-roading events in a convoy, designed to provide maximum thrill to Mahindra owners. They are organised to give customers the opportunity to explore the full off-roading capabilities of their vehicles, safely and with a lot of fun. Since 1996, the Mahindra Great Escapes have evolved into spectacular weekend events with a loyal fan-following. The routes are meticulously chosen to ensure excitement without compromising on safety. All through the route, there are service teams & vehicles to assist those who need help. In addition, there are experts along the route who are ready to guide the drivers through difficult terrain that may require skilful driving.

Through the years, the Great Escape has acquired a reputation as one of India’s premier off-roading events with each edition seeing eager participation from die-hard Mahindra fans and customers alike. From the hills of Coorg and the tea estates of Munnar to the undulating sand dunes of Mandawa in Rajasthan, the Great Escape has blazed a unique trail across the length and breadth of India. The Mahindra Great Escape was recently held in Panvel near Mumbai, Goa, Chickmanglur in Karnataka and the next ones will be held at Wayanad in Kerala and Ooty in Tamilnadu.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th September 2010 at 15:54. Reason: Please Search before opening a new thread. Thread exists, Thanks.
zubin_raheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 13:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Idea was to give an interesting medium to convey basics of off roading to first timers
Bingo! Precisely why I posted that newbies stand to benefit from these videos.

Quote:
Hence among countless similar videos out there on internet by individuals people know this has come from a reliable source
And with Hari Singh, no less.

It's especially nice to see some BHPian Jeeps in there.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Hai GTO,

Good set of videos for green horns, thanks for sharing. Good to revise the basics for experienced ones too.

=====
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 09:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful set of videos GTO and as Vinod has rightly said as this comes from a not just a reliable source but a very reliable and reputable source I am sure would definitely help alot of off-roaders clearing their doubts and facts. Further as this is hosted by the iconic Hari Singh is that is the icing on the cake.

I am not sure whether this is the right thread but during the 1st video when Hari Singh was explaining the linear shift pattern of the Bolero 4WD shift lever, he made a reference to the Mahindra Thar. So is the launch due in the near future??
Vinod are you listening...

Last edited by harjeev : 19th September 2010 at 09:49.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Wonderful set of videos GTO and as Vinod has rightly said as this comes from a not just a reliable source but a very reliable and reputable source I am sure would definitely help alot of off-roaders clearing their doubts and facts. Further as this is hosted by the iconic Hari Singh is that is the icing on the cake.

I am not sure whether this is the right thread but during the 1st video when Hari Singh was explaining the linear shift pattern of the Bolero 4WD shift lever, he made a reference to the Mahindra Thar. So is the launch due in the near future??
Vinod are you listening...

Yes, reference of Mahindra THAR was very intentional. THAR is our future 4wd and couldnt let it go un heard. This video is for few years to come. Also MM550 in the back ground reminds one about THAR thats why it was present and not Major.

Yes THAR is very much round the corner. Now dont ask me launch dates/month, still unclear and lots of things to work upon.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 23rd September 2010 at 19:01.
vinod_nookala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 16:47   #9
BHPian

Thanks GTO for very educative post. My experience with offroading is near zero and by watching the posted videos I can now proudly call myself a fledgling.

I am still hunting for a decent 4x4 within my budget and I must admit after going through the videos I am excited and running out of patience with my hunt. Its very difficult to contain my desperation at the moment.
JeepHyde is offline   Reply With Quote