Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

View Poll Results: would u love to take ur 3b to a rally?
yes 4 21.05%
never 14 73.68%
already done that 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd October 2010, 16:13   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Even if the CJ3B is reliable, you need to think about your own reliability . Driving a CJ for an extended period of time, in a competitive event, can get incredibly taxing on your body. Most people would see their concentration levels dwindling after a handful of hours behind the wheel.

Voted No. I'd never think of rallying in my CJ. There are far better vehicles to do it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
That's me in the then fashionable "Safari Suit" on the left of the picture
LOL! For a minute there, it looked like Cyrus with a moustache . Neat picture, I'm forwarding it to Sunil Shanbagh.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
back to original specs it is.
i would like to know that what did the temp stoppages mean? as in after how many kms did u usually stop? what would u do fr the temp management? did u drive in the hot north plains or some where cooler?

any new temperature controlling mechanisms we can fit on ? as far as i think the weak links are the fuel pump heating up and lack of a coolant system. any new fuel pumps that can do the trick without heating up?
Hi,
Sorry for going AWOL!

By temp I meant temporary, not temperature related. Playground was the NE.

The CJ3B is an extremely simple, robust machine. Most things which go wrong on the road can be corrected on the road. Common problems we faced were electrical (esp dynamo. The less said about the quality of the electricals the better), fanbelt, and hoses.

On the highways, don't think I ever faced a problem with the mechanical fuel pump. Also remember, at that time, the only electrical pump available was a AC/ SU make:- which definitely wasn't reliable.

Mine was a LHD Mahindra, which had been converted to the Solex, and Lucas. On what would be considered the equivalent of trail work, the Solex used to flood.

Regarding overheating. CJs ran hot. Was accepted then. As long as it wasn't boiling over, was considered OK. And on the highway, it did not boil over, until and unless the engine had been rebuilt, and left very 'tight'. Was a loosing battle telling the mechs not to leave the engine 'tight'. Note that we used to run it unpressurised. Using a pressure cap meant instant trouble from hoses.

We used to stop whenever we had to fill in fuel (which was pretty often!) At which time we would stretch our legs, and give the vehicle a once over, esp water level, and oil leaks.

Know your vehicle thoroughly, and carry a full toolkit. You wont be stranded on the road for long then.

In terms of fatigue, lack of safety etc, I would rate the CJ on par with a scooter/ commuter mobike on the highway. Also note that the SWB can be a handful at speed.

Whether you should do a long highway run or not: heres my 2c. If you (and it means you, not x, y or z) are confident of a long run in the CJ, knowing all its pitfalls, I think you should do it ONCE. Better to regret the things we have done rather than the things we have not done! I am likely to be slammed for this suggestion!

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Do not do a highway run on trail tyres. Certainly not NDMS.

Last edited by Sutripta : 23rd October 2010 at 21:36.
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 15:31   #18
BHPian

hi everybody,

sutripta:when u say pressurised- i think you are reffering to the radiator cap, am i right?

i fully agree with your last point that do it once. that i shall. decided.
did you use any special trick for your fuel pump?
what were the issues you faced with the dynamo?

gto: i plan not for rallying but as an official.

kandisa: thanks for the 2-3 day trip suggestion, i had that in my mind as a prep . and yes it would be a lovely sight to see the 3b on the desert storm daily. specially going offroading at leisure.....dreaming...

jaggu:i have done my jeep bottom up , so am sure of whats in it, so will take my chances

genesis: the wet sock is already in use, but sand filled..thats a new one for me. doesnt it become like mud? how do you hold the sand in the sock when you wet it and how can u tie it around the pump???

what is the pressure regulator tap you are reffering to?

behram sir, spike, tsk, fazal:keep chipping in with your suggestions as she gets rally prepped.

i need tips regarding the elec. problems i may face and any suggestion to keep the babe cool.

for highways what are the suggested tyres?i am using my ndms everywhere.
docfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 21:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
hi everybody,

sutripta:when u say pressurised- i think you are reffering to the radiator cap, am i right?
Yes

i fully agree with your last point that do it once. that i shall. decided.
did you use any special trick for your fuel pump?
what were the issues you faced with the dynamo?
In todays environment, I would strongly suggest an alternator. Amongst other things, today's batteries do not take kindly to even slight excess of float voltage. That precision the vibrating contact regulator cannot give.

If you insist on running the dynamo (I expect it is the Lucas unit) couple of things to keep in mind. Rear has a bush, which wears out. Armature touches field. Game over.
Also fit a three coil regulator, and adjust accurately both the current and voltage settings. Though manufacturer says that in tropical conditions, it should be set to 20A, I think it would be better not to exceed 17/ 18A. Roadside mechanics don't know how to set it.
The basic problem with electricals was quality of loom and fusebox. Am sure these have been changed by now.

No special advice from my side regarding mechanical fuel pump. If you are paranoid about it, maybe you can jury rig a screen washer to spray water on it from time to time!

Happy Jeeping

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th October 2010, 17:34   #20
BHPian

dear sutripta,
i was wondering that if we leave the radiator cap loose and unpressurised as u say then wont we have to top up the water more often? also i was thinking of installing a coolant system , for that we need a pressure cap,overflow tube and a container, what would your take be on the possibility of success of putting in a closed coolant system?

which tyres would u reccomend for a stock 3b for all tyerrain needs?

i was also planning on putting on cfls before the desert storm.

any specific suggestions regarding the planned desert sojourn.

thanks
sharat
Old 30th October 2010, 21:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dear sutripta,
i was wondering that if we leave the radiator cap loose and unpressurised as u say then wont we have to top up the water more often? also i was thinking of installing a coolant system , for that we need a pressure cap,overflow tube and a container, what would your take be on the possibility of success of putting in a closed coolant system?
Of course we'll have to top up water more often. Very often, like every alternate day. (We used to use rainwater). It is not a lossless system. If the system does not have a propensity to leak, by all means a pressurised system is better. However, don't do anything new before a major event.

which tyres would u reccomend for a stock 3b for all tyerrain needs?
The current experts will be better able to guide you.

i was also planning on putting on cfls before the desert storm.
I wouldn't do it, but thats just me. Have nothing against composites, but the ones available here don't inspire confidence (in me). Don't want to get into arguments regarding this.

any specific suggestions regarding the planned desert sojourn.
Drive safe. No heroics. Man matters more than machine.

thanks
sharat
Whats happened to DKG?

Best of luck.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th November 2010, 11:35   #22
BHPian

Default endurance run

well just concluded a mini endurance run:

270km in one day , including 120km x 2 = 240km of transport stretch on tarmac and 30 km on offroad, which included a gruelling otr-with steep inclines and decents, slush and sand, through out the offraod section was on 4wd with 30% low 4wd .

performance:
fuel consumption overall 11kmpl
tarmac speed average 65kmph, with stretches of 70 and beyond
all obstacles cleared
breakdowns-none
small issues:
  1. bonnet had two bolts missing-sqeaked all along
  2. air intake on the carb got loose so had to be tightened-carb is looking dirty and sticky from the insides.
  3. for reasons not known had to fill in water every 40km, no overheating, no leaks, just dont know where was it going?
  4. right front wheel is rubbing a bolt in the body when full turned-will have to get it chopped
impression- no overheating at all, no sock around the mech fuel pump needed, she is reliable, can be quick specially in narrower roads, fuel economy is reasonably good, ride quality was rather smooth , off-road she is amazing,

work needed:
  1. will get a radiator overflow bottle and the whole mechanism intalled
  2. over drive gear in planning
  3. will change seats to adjustable ones
  4. ciggarette lighter to be put in for charging point purpose also to attach the air pump
  5. bolts and beeding for the bonnet
planning on a longer and more gruelling run soon, an otr in jaipur is on the cards sometime in month end.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:07   #23
BHPian

the water evaporation issue seems to be resolved, it was a leak from the fins in the front of the radiator , which i spotted by accident , will get that cahnged and then re-analyse the water consumption
Old 28th November 2010, 15:54   #24
BHPian

Hey guys i've seen 3b with V8 engine which is awesome and its no like our ordinary 3b . We think about accomodating big engine but here they think about how to put it in as 3b is the best in Jeep . Hey Arka you know what a 3b with V8 can do ??? I'm working in classic restoration unit in leitch motorsport so i know classic a lil better now

Last edited by propeller : 28th November 2010 at 15:56. Reason: missed out
propeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 05:29   #25
BHPian

Default Re: reliability of a 3b? rally ready?

docfreak,

I think CJ can do. I will be worth a try. The only issue is 'can you do it'. DS does have long transports. Sometimes nearing 500 kms. And that too after long stages. And this year, stages are going to be long. As long as 200 kms.

With top speed of 70 km, can you do it?

I was in a Gypsy and top speed of 110 km/hr was too less. COC's in Fortuners and GV's would do 170 km/hr. Consistently.

Just don't think in term of stages. They are easy. Question is how will complete the transport and get some rest?

Last edited by wanderhermit : 9th December 2010 at 05:31.
wanderhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 17:09   #26
BHPian

exactly my thoughts.
the jeep seems ready but can i ?
after a recent trip of 350km in a day , i felt i needed to rethink about feasibility of driving more than 500km in a day , every day for a week , that too in addition to the fact that the jeep will need attention after the days run , .......
going over options again
wanderhermit , pm me your number, we should catch up , seems we stay close by
Old 10th April 2013, 13:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Old times, old days. The time checks and type of Himalyan rally was different. Today in an FIAA approved rally can a machine like CJ3B actually run ? Doutful. In UAE desert challenge I have frequently hit speeds to over 100 KM / Hr upto 140 as well on a track adjoining a pipeline in Abu Dhabi area.

The Solex 134 carburettor has umpteen problems, brake lines and brake cylinders and mostly unreliable, and the vehicle is not designed to run above 80 to 90 KMPH, I have seen Landrover SWB country defender 90 series and even earlier vehicles as marshalling support vehicles in rallies, even landrovers earlier than that. A rally team used to run a Landrover 110, and they did have good support vehicles and teams but of no avail. They never ever finished even in top 50 I guess.

Honestly I dont think a CJ3B can compete with a Rallyart Pajero team, or BMW Extreme team on our own Team Toyota. Times have changed now. But for a good evening drive with the windscreen folded down, specially by the Bhopal lake no vehicle but the CJ3B.

I have great memories of the CJ3B in Indian Jungles, on sandy banks, in the mountains, wading riverlets, through mud and slush it was meant to do exactly that and has lived its life. If we took a couple of CJ3B units to a weeks camping in the forests, a mechanic was always in attendance with the retinue on such trips. Can it be done now ? I dont think so.
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote