Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 16th November 2010, 21:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Ragul, congrats on your purchase. Wishing you many many happy miles of travel on this beauty. Would love to meet and take a short ride in this one :-)

How much you paid for the Yoko Geo?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Ragul, congrats on your purchase. Wishing you many many happy miles of travel on this beauty. Would love to meet and take a short ride in this one :-)

Sure, we can meet next weekend or after that, then you can check it out and post a review for all Gypsy lovers and comment on changes.

I just may be occupied this coming weekend, but if you PM me your number I will call on saturday and confirm if sunday early afternoon will be feasible.

PS: I have followed most of the posts that you and others have made here on TBHP and my very confident decision to buy the gypsy as my first car stems from the knowledge and gyaan I have gained from reading all your posts and absorbing the enthusiasm and devotion to exploiting the great platform that Gypsy provides

Cheers
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 04:24   #18
BANNED

she looks beautiful! a question though, is this the BSIV variant?
saintsinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 10:22   #19
BHPian

Welcome to the Gypsy club , congrats on the buy .

Noways Maruti would give Yoko Geos as stock . Im sure he has swapped it .

Its rare to see silver colur gypsys. Nice colour choice
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 11:36   #20
BHPian

It is BS IV only. Quiet smooth engine, vibration and hum free.

Maruti giving Yoko's is wishful dreaming ...
Old 17th November 2010, 12:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Please post outdoor pics of the beauty Ragul and i somewhat agree with GS. Your next plan to spend your savings will be on the Gypsy. Somehow you can quit smoking but cannot stop spending on your 4x4 . Need a lot of self control. Enjoy your drive.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 12:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ragul,

Congratulations! happy to know that the gypsy production is not going to cease. What engine they have tossed in? Regular 1.3 ltr BSIV upgraded or altogether different engine. Put a picture of engine bay.

Happy gypsying.
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:00   #23
Team-BHP Support

Regular 1.3 with minor tweaks to exhaust and engine mapping Dwarak.

Ragul do you have the torque and bhp details of this new engine?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 15:23   #24
BHPian

Congrats. Looks lovely.

Can you also put some information on the booking experience, final price, delivery period etc. I think it is the first BS4 Gypsy reported on the forum ?
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 18:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Congrats. Looks lovely.

Can you also put some information on the booking experience, final price, delivery period etc. I think it is the first BS4 Gypsy reported on the forum ?
The booking experience is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...-i-expect.html (Buying new Gypsy, what discounts can I expect?)

Will post the final prices later this week after I finish the RTO formalities for permanent registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I paid a total of 9500/- in exchange for 5 Yokos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Regular 1.3 with minor tweaks to exhaust and engine mapping Dwarak.

Ragul do you have the torque and bhp details of this new engine?

Will copy from the service manual and post overnight. I am at office now.

cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 17th November 2010 at 18:05.
Old 17th November 2010, 21:01   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
OEM fitment are Ceat tires. I guess victim of the recent tire "license raj" which also took Maxxis out of the market?

Good call on the tires, the Geolandar AT-S is a VERy capable dual purpose tire. It hasn't let me down on the road...or off it so far. Tried it on a variety of terrains with good results.

Did you really get Ceat? Mine were MRF

I learnt a lot from you guys already as a lurker on this forum, hence you will hear me sound like an seasoned car owner about the mods as I have already put in some well informed thought regarding the mods.

Cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 17th November 2010 at 21:03.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Pics???

Dude - can we have some more (better composed) pics please?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 17:13   #28
BHPian

Default Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

Sorry guys - All my SDCards have gone missing!! I will shoot some pics in Jan after I relocate house this weekend.

In the meantime I have a few questions about -

I heard about a custom soft top maker for Jeeps and Gypsy's in Hennur side of Bangalore. Anybody got a name or address and tel number? I believe he uses heatlon.

On that note here are the mods I have planned -

1. Soft top stuck with Velcro in addition to buttons to seal off from dust and prepare for A/C
2. Add A/C after 5000kms 2nd Service.
3. Hella FF75 fog lamps only attached above bumper. No big round ones for me as I want to avoid airflow over radiator problems and overheating with A/C
4. Philips Vision 80+ 60/55W bulbs.
5. Convert passenger side tray space into lockable dash of 16 gauge steel for audio amp + general storage locker.
6. Leather steering cover from Karlsson/Pensee/Stanley stictched not laced. I was offerred 1.3mm leather cover for 2K but I thought for 2K it should be 1.5mm at least. I know thickness is not the only measure of quality, but my steering wheel is thin and I dont feel like adding foam padding.
7. Edit: Dr. Nano CFLs for rear. A year later will add gas shocks all round.
8. Limited Slip Differentials for rear before my 1st trip to Himalayas/Northeast mid to late next year.

Already put HuperOptic Klar70 on windshield and side windows. cost 13K. I see rainbow colors just above dash with my polarizing sunglasses in daytime and hazy halo effect with oncoming headlights. Waiting for 2 months for it to settle in before I call in with any complaints about visibility.

Late next year may go for hard top metal body with 2 front facing rear seats or retain side benches with thigh harness or belt to prevent jumping.

I will post about Audio related queries on the Audio threads. Will post a initial ownership report after 3K.

Please help me find the soft top vendor for now. Thanks.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 27th December 2010 at 17:20.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:26   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
1. Soft top stuck with Velcro in addition to buttons to seal off from dust and prepare for A/C
2. Add A/C after 5000kms 2nd Service.
3. Hella FF75 fog lamps only attached above bumper. No big round ones for me as I want to avoid airflow over radiator problems and overheating with A/C
4. Philips Vision 80+ 60/55W bulbs.
5. Convert passenger side tray space into lockable dash of 16 gauge steel for audio amp + general storage locker.
6. Leather steering cover from Karlsson/Pensee/Stanley stictched not laced. I was offerred 1.3mm leather cover for 2K but I thought for 2K it should be 1.5mm at least. I know thickness is not the only measure of quality, but my steering wheel is thin and I dont feel like adding foam padding.
7. Edit: Dr. Nano CFLs for rear. A year later will add gas shocks all round.
8. Limited Slip Differentials for rear before my 1st trip to Himalayas/Northeast mid to late next year.
============
Late next year may go for hard top metal body with 2 front facing rear seats or retai nside benches with thigh harness to prevent jumping.
1, 2) You can do this when you are doing the AC work, usually they will have the required stuff to weather proof and insulate the area. Ensure you insulate the floor board area near the firewall and transmission tunnel from inside.

AC try sticking to 505 or similar small compressor and limit the cooling to front half. This will reduce the stress on the small engine.

3) Check the light mounts in classifieds, then you can easily mount them at the bottom of windshield without any issue's of air flow. They are safer away from bump's that way.

4) good idea

5) good idea

6) Your presonal choice, i would suggest a normal fake leather cover. Leather is not the ideal stuff for our hot humid indian climate and wears off in a place like steering

7) Very good idea

8) You dont need LSD for any of the trips you mentioned. Unless you offroad heavily and that too in very bad conditions, it will not be of any use.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 19:20   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1, 2) You can do this when you are doing the AC work, usually they will have the required stuff to weather proof and insulate the area. Ensure you insulate the floor board area near the firewall and transmission tunnel from inside.

AC try sticking to 505 or similar small compressor and limit the cooling to front half. This will reduce the stress on the small engine.

3) Check the light mounts in classifieds, then you can easily mount them at the bottom of windshield without any issue's of air flow. They are safer away from bump's that way.

4) good idea

5) good idea

6) Your presonal choice, i would suggest a normal fake leather cover. Leather is not the ideal stuff for our hot humid indian climate and wears off in a place like steering

7) Very good idea

8) You dont need LSD for any of the trips you mentioned. Unless you offroad heavily and that too in very bad conditions, it will not be of any use.

Well About the lights, I have decided not to do any mods that shout loud, but retain the Gypsy in stock form. The Hella FF75s are very smallish and I like them oval shapes. The LSD is probably not useful for serious off-roading either, just thought it might save me from a tight spot or sticky situation once in a while.

I thought the standard choice for A/C was Sanden 507? On the rare occasion - will the 505 keep 6 people at 25 celcius (with outside temp in the 40s?) not just front passengers? Or should I go for the same A/C used in Swift that used same Engine as the Gypsy - The Subro?

And then I dislike the feel of fake leather so not inclined for PU.

TIA

Last edited by Ragul : 27th December 2010 at 19:23.