Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 18th March 2011, 22:11   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
....when I do a hard left lock of steering I hear a 'tuk ... tuk' straining noise from the rear left of the vehicle, like something is about to give away!! Every other time but not all the time. What is it about steering hard left that could strain something in the rear? Should I add this to the list of problems to investigate or is it a minor "happens" kinda thing?
Quote:

7. 'tuk ... tuk' straining noise from rear left on hard left steering lock on hair-pin bend (At end of ascending slope - front wheels level, rear wheels lower level - Check rear left leaf springs if roll is causing strain)...
Is this a 'tuk-tuk' sound or a 'kat-kat' sound? If this is coming on full steering lock/turn, then it seems to be from the differential. Something may not be right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I think you need to check your differentials, maybe that is the culprit for all these noise issues.
Yeah, differential seems to be the source for this one.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 22:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
some ideas for the hella lights.
Wow Jeepster! The in the bumper looks the most theft proof. Who in Bangalore can do precision cutting of the bumper with smooth finish?

The top of bumper looks quickest to install, but I will need to go to SP road and fetch those break-away nuts that are permanent and cannot be removed without a cutting saw - again that will only save the hella mount not the lamp housing :(.

Thanks!

--Ragul

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Is this a 'tuk-tuk' sound or a 'kat-kat' sound? If this is coming on full steering lock/turn, then it seems to be from the differential. Something may not be right there.

With a sinking feeling now I am confused .. kat kat sounds equally plausible to my memory. I will drive down the multi-level car park of my office and drive back up in the next 15 mins to replicate then post once I reach home.

--Ragul

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th March 2011 at 21:27. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The in the bumper looks the most theft proof. Who in Bangalore can do precision cutting of the bumper with smooth finish?

The top of bumper looks quickest to install, but I will need to go to SP road and fetch those break-away nuts that are permanent and cannot be removed without a cutting saw - again that will only save the hella mount not the lamp housing :(.
yes the in bumper design looks good, but it will require to cut the bumper & make bracket (ex. shown below ) to hold the hella in place.
Name:  fog.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  23.8 KB
dont use the cut away bolt, IMO the lights require the re-tightening of bolts frequently.
instead you can use Allen bolts.
Name:  metric_socket_head_cap_screw250x250.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  20.3 KB
rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 19th March 2011 at 00:11.
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

I checked again reversing and forwarding a few times. It was really confusing to decide if its "tuk tuk" or a "kat kat" sound. If by "kat kat" you are referring to a snapping sound like something giving up under stress, it certainly is not that kind of sound. I also noticed as I turned my head fully this time, that the sound is not really from the rear left but possibly right side (or simultaneously both sides). Moreover as I listened more closely I realized it comes before the steering is full lock as the rear wheels exit the incline onto the horizontal. Then as I hit a bump on the road,the same sound came in quick succession. Its not loud, and not too faint to miss in silent surroundings either.

Must be something else. It is not a major concern for me anymore right now. Someday if we happen to meet and have a steep incline with hair-pin bend around the corner, you can listen yourself. But I have stopped worrying about it now after replicating it again

Thanks again for being supportive of my concerns and being here to address them. It feels good.

Someday you can check it out yourself.

--Ragul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
yes the in bumper design looks good, but it will require to cut the bumper & make bracket (ex. shown below ) to hold the hella in place.
Attachment 519826
dont use the cut away bolt, IMO the lights require the re-tightening of bolts frequently.
instead you can use Allen bolts.
Attachment 519824
rgds,
Nikhil
I just checked and the registration plate will not allow any room for in-bumper lights. This will have to be on top.

I will have to hit SP road for the allen bolts. But it does not really seem secure as any stock toolkit comes with allen key of various sizes to help remove these bolts in a jiffy. A well equipped thief will coolly walk away with it.

FYI I spoke to J.C Gupta on SP road and he promised to acquire security nuts and bolts in a months time, like he was already planning on it.

Thanks Nikhil

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th March 2011 at 21:28. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 19th March 2011, 00:34   #65
Team-BHP Support

If its not a major sound dont bother, but do check all the underbody for anything lose. As far as lights go, try if you can get the windshield brackets, save you the pain of cutting bumper and will look classy. Am not a big fan of in bumper lights, very honestly it spoils the look and easily gets damaged.

Take your vehicle to Suraksha silk board, they have people who are experienced with Gypsy. Get their opinion before opening up anything.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
2 & 3 are at what speeds and is while throttle is given or while coasting?

Hehehe the problem appears to have gone! No more jerking in 1st gear, no judderring in 2nd!! The 1st 3 months upto 3000kms not only was the clutch hard, I was suffering from daily strain of my hip and gluteus minimus muscles such that my movement was restricted and sometimes posture affected. Then I realized I had not been pressing the clutch to the floor while gear shifting. I also stopped clutch driving and have started driving at high rpm on low gears rather than clutch drive on high gears - to avoid frequent gear shifting. The change in habits for the last 2000kms maybe broke the clutch in ? Now it is behaving. My hip strain is also gone

I mean I noticed I had successfully prevented the jerking and judderring in the last many 100 kms but I thought I was cleverly avoiding it. Now even though I tried, I could not replicate it.

My bad for posting a non-issue.

Last edited by Ragul : 19th March 2011 at 00:49.
Old 19th March 2011, 10:12   #67
BHPian

Quote:
If its not a major sound dont bother, but do check all the underbody for anything lose. As far as lights go, try if you can get the windshield brackets, save you the pain of cutting bumper and will look classy. Am not a big fan of in bumper lights, very honestly it spoils the look and easily gets damaged.

Take your vehicle to Suraksha silk board, they have people who are experienced with Gypsy. Get their opinion before opening up anything.

Thats my fear - The lights are going to jut out a cm ahead of the bumpers and I don't want that. I think I will cut the plastic grill in front to make room for these inline with the bumper, else try the Jeepster idea of cutting holes in the bumper.

Are you are talking about mounting right on top? Fog lights need to be low down to be effective and avoid glaring into oncoming vehicles don't they?

Will check with Suraksha next week, thanks.

I dont fancy an array of large lights on the bumper myself - But these lights are not the big "Mickey Mouse Ears" type - I got them for precisely this reason.

--Ragul
Old 19th March 2011, 14:44   #68
BHPian

The "Kut Kut" noise is something even I get from the sides just behind the front seats at full lock or while going over uneven terrain. It is an occasional sound and I have personally gone under the vehicle and tightened every visible bolt/nut to my satisfaction and the noise is still there. I've chosen to ignore it among other little annoyances with the vehicle.

On my third set of clutch-plates and Pressure-Plates now (under 15000Km run Gypsy). The low torque of the 1.3L coupled with the sands of Palar really took a toll on the clutch while getting away from standstill.

If you put the lights in the bumper, just weld an extrusion around the hole so that the light is still protected. I would just mount it on top of the bumper and chance it with the thieves.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 15:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

On my third set of clutch-plates and Pressure-Plates now (under 15000Km run Gypsy). The low torque of the 1.3L coupled with the sands of Palar really took a toll on the clutch while getting away from standstill.

Wow! Even 4L torque isn't enough? I guess this vehicle cannot be used to tow other heavy weights like Sumo, Scorpio, Bolero etc. In your opinion, whats the largest vehicle the Gypsy can safely tow (provided its not stuck, moderately stuck or totally stuck, up and incline or on level ground)?

--Ragul
Old 19th March 2011, 15:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! Even 4L torque isn't enough? I guess this vehicle cannot be used to tow other heavy weights like Sumo, Scorpio, Bolero etc. In your opinion, whats the largest vehicle the Gypsy can safely tow (provided its not stuck, moderately stuck or totally stuck, up and incline or on level ground)?

--Ragul
Another gypsy <runs for cover>
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 16:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
LOL Venky!
I so enjoy this Jeep/Gypsy discussion. But, i think you are right
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 16:19   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you are talking about mounting right on top? Fog lights need to be low down to be effective and avoid glaring into oncoming vehicles don't they?
Look at this See the clamp just below the windshield. Starter is yet to install the lights there in this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
The "Kut Kut" noise is something even I get from the sides just behind the front seats at full lock or while going over uneven terrain.
Slight play at the axle's i suspect. Hope its not locker clicking in your case Guru.

Quote:
Wow! Even 4L torque isn't enough? I guess this vehicle cannot be used to tow other heavy weights like Sumo, Scorpio, Bolero etc.
Guru is talking about sand. Gypsy can tow, but starting off is the pain, coz of low grunt. Then again those tow hooks are flimsy in gypsy.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 19:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Look at this See the clamp just below the windshield. Starter is yet to install the lights there in this picture.
And here's one where there were lights on it http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc_0168.jpg
As Jaggu has mentioned, i removed them and yet to install it again.
No real reason to remove them
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 20:40   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Slight play at the axle's i suspect. Hope its not locker clicking in your case Guru
Jaggu this noise has been there since the vehicle was delivered. It is not a major noise or anything but I was initially concerned. Multiple OTRs later it doesn't bother me anymore. I suspect it is something to do with the body flexing on the chassis -OR- the seat-belt fittings clicking inside the door-frame.

Probably not axle play...maybe prop-shaft play. I have some rear prop-shaft play of almost 1/8th of a turn!!

Quote:
Guru is talking about sand. Gypsy can tow, but starting off is the pain, coz of low grunt. Then again those tow hooks are flimsy in gypsy.

Yup...in sand getting away from a standstill requires some slip in a stock Gypsy. Do this over multiple days of OTR/Recce/TPC and it goes hurt the clutch a little bit. I suspect most of my clutch damage was done by other people driving the vehicle with their foot resting on the clutch pedal. Hard to change their habits...no matter what you tell them.

A M.A.S.S drove my gypsy in 4H for the duration the vehicle was with them!!
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 21:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
And here's one where there were lights on it http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc_0168.jpg
As Jaggu has mentioned, I removed them and yet to install it again.
No real reason to remove them
Cheers,
Deepak

Doesn't that illuminate your bonnet at night reflect and distract from the road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
OK I'll stick to playing Gypsy-Gypsy then

The car is back from 2nd service. The manager at indiranagar MASS promised to check transfer box, differentials, gear box etc and see if they needed more lubricants. I don't know a thing about the internals of these parts. I dont even know if they really did it or if they are bluffing. Guess I wil just take their word for it. They did remove all the rattles - one from the back door, and I think the tuk tuk was coming from a loose spare wheel? Because they told me that was a source of noise as well. They removed the wheels and cleaned the disc calipers as well and now the squealing is gone. Tightened everything underbody and checked propeller shaft as well.

The clutch has improved. The buggers did not change the engine oil and replace the oil filter in the first service @1000kms thinking this was a K series engine!! Even MASS does not know what engine is in the Gypsy and assume everything is K-series!! Even after I had asked them to multiple times at the time, I remained suspicious as the service rep would hesitate and stammer and not reply firmly. I asked them to pull my service record, check then made them replace it this time. Cost me 982 bucks or something - should this have been free?

Then the manager (who is the only person authorized to oversee Gypsy service) asked me how I was driving all this while - the steering was too hard and stiff he said and adjusted it. Now I dunno what he did but it feels like power steering!! OK atleast it is now extremely feather light to handle !! I could possibly steer with a finger and thumb now if I tried, the saturday evening traffic meant I didn't go too far to test it out.

@#$@#$@$@$% Now it moves off from standstill and drives so well in general what the hell was I sufferring all the inconvenience for in the last 4 months?!!! When I took it for a test drive I thought it was somebody else's car!! Thats the difference before and after (Think fairness cream ad or weightloss ad)

Will take it out for a longer spin tomorrow to assure myself, but on the whole I can't help feeling extremely satisfied right now.

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th March 2011 at 21:47.