Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Old 15th May 2011, 11:23   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My Gypsy Gal is home

Get the axle and hubs thoroughly checked and replaced if necessary. As i mentioned earlier, use insurance coverage to maximum since its a brand new vehicle.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 20:32   #92
BHPian

Ouch Ragul!! Am glad you are safe.

Like Jaggu says get any parts you suspect checked and replaced under insurance since your vehicle is still new.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 19:37   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
On that note I also received the CFL front and rear suspension kit last week.
You ordered both. Nice. I guess everyone would be waiting for a review as you had mentioned sometime back that Dr Nano had made some modifications when you had made the inquiry on the CFLs.

Cheers,
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 23:05   #94
Team-BHP Support

Yeah even am curious, can you post the picture of the CFL's also? please. They are supposed to be wider now.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:20   #95
BHPian

Uploaded the pics in the CFL thread so it is easily located with a sense of continuity for others searching on this topic:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2354639 (Composite Fibre Leaf Springs: Can they be used for off-roading?)

--Ragul

@Mods: I want only the title to appear as the link. How can I do that?

Last edited by Ragul : 17th May 2011 at 12:34.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 17:53   #96
BHPian

Folks

I am having a bit of a problem with the M.A.S.S. I have been repeating myself since day one that the RRW (Right Rear wheel) started wobbling because of the impact. The M.A.S.S has been neglecting to address this issue or even acknowledge that there was a problem until I sent some nasty emails this week. Right from the beginning they have been saying "No problem with Axle" and ignoring to inform me where exactly the problem was that resulted in wheel wobbling. Now after my stern emails they are saying they checked wheel alignment and balancing and everything is Perfect!!

Q: How can wheel alignment report show perfect readings when a wheel is wobbling?

In my email I accused them of substandard damage assessment procedures and sloppy attitude because of which they failed to identify the issue and report to Insurance surveyor for damage claims. Now the manager called me and told me in a defiant tone that the wheel problem is a regular problem and not due to accident therefore inspection and service and repair will not be covered by Insurance. In other words make the customer pay for finding fault with them!! Rather than acknowledge belatedly that they goofed and incur the cost of repair themselves.

My guess is that Insurance Surveyor has rejected the claim because so many days have past and they did not do the initial assessment correctly.
So they are refusing to accept the claim that the accident resulted in a mechanical defect that can be covered by Insurance. He said the last wheel alignment was done in October as per their records hence it has gone bad due to natural "process".

When me and my friend removed the wheel and inspected, we both agreed that the hub was not 90 degrees perpendicular to the axle but off by one or two degrees. The MASS is denying this saying everything is perfect.

I am going to MASS tomorrow to do another check in my presence.

How do I go about this?

PS: In the Best case scenario - How much does fixing wheel bearings cost?

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 20th May 2011 at 17:55.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...It is not the rim that is bent but the vertical round plate that is connected to the axle - into which we mount the tyre...
If this part is bent, then it can cause major problems. Needs to be replaced immediately.

Quote:
.... The MASS guy took a 5 min glance under body and said no need for new parts for that. Should I insist on new parts?
Looks like the guy who checked is probably not right....please replace this with new parts, do not try to repair it.

Could you please post some pics of the damaged part ? This would help to understand the issue better.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 21:02   #98
BHPian

Hi Ragul,
I don't quite understand this.
Did you have an impact on the RRW once earlier already and this wobble is there since then? Or is the car already back from your MASS repaired and now you feel that there is a wobble?

I agree with BT completely. Please post some pics if you have.

But, if you finally decide to get this fixed yourself, you would be better off getting this done at another MASS.
Which MASS is this, by the way?

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 23:57   #99
BHPian

Thanks for your attention to this Guys,

The car is undergoing body repair works currently. I will take some pics tomorrow with the wheel removed and a plumbing line in the view.

The same impact that required body work also impacted the RRW.
The MASS is bimal@mahdevpura.

--Ragul
Old 21st May 2011, 17:31   #100
BHPian

Ok I am back from the MASS. We trooped into the 4th floor area where the Gypsy was undergoing bodywork. The right panel from rear door hinge to driver door had just had just been replaced and we were told not to touch the car in the dust free painting environs surrounded by plastic screens.

However the person handling the Gypsy bodywork turned out to be a very experienced old hand and before we asked he immediately started explaining there was a problem with the alignment of the wheel. The Service reps I had been dealing with were flabbergasted!! They were discussing in Kannada and there was some lengthy discussion between them but there was no further contesting the claim.

Now they will replace the bearings on Monday and we will check at the time - My colleague who came with me and is a gearhead says the plate supporting the rear brakes is bent. Not sure if that can be straightened or if the entire assembly will need replacement.

So we could not click photographs as we could not remove the wheel today. I had gone armed with a camera, tripod, plumbing line and chalk to videograph the movement, but did not get an opportunity to use them.

Q: Can a camber problem not be detected by wheel alignment machinery? Why is that?

Thanks
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 21st May 2011 at 17:35.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 22:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

From my understanding it is possible to check the camber. I have had my cars wheel alignment done a few times and they always give a print out showing if the alignment (including camber) was out and a post correction print.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 22:28   #102
Team-BHP Support

You can find out using alignment machine but i repeat it again! If the rear diff tube has taken a hit, get it replaced!!!
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:03   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Not sure if that can be straightened or if the entire assembly will need replacement.
Please have this checked by an experienced/skilled technician : and get the entire brake-drum/wheel hub replaced, if required. IMO, just changing the wheel bearings is not going to suffice.

PS : I wanted to 'Quote' this post, and ended up 'Thanking'
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 22:11   #104
BHPian

OK the work is 98% done. It has been a frustrating experience dealing with Bimal, and I will post a review of their services next week. I got a bill today where the cost to me was 2400/-. The service rep told me the metal parts had some 5% depreciation hence that cost was on me. I was more interested in pointing out the minor things overlooked and not fixed hence did not look at the bill twice and paid. However now I have doubts if they have charged me for something that should have come from insurance. Can you guys tell me if the prices below are the full MRP or only a small percent:

1. Right rear lamp assembly 254.00
2. Rear Brake Drum: 838.72
3. Rear Axle Shaft RH 725.16

The rest I am not worried about like bulbs and plastics and body panel etc., But I want to make sure they did not bill me for something that should come under insurance - for the above. Whats the MRP on these items?

I need to give my vehicle back for the 4 time to complete the last 2% of unfinished business, but its a days job.

Thanks
--Rahul

Last edited by Ragul : 4th June 2011 at 22:13.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:42   #105
Team-BHP Support

Ragul, Nice to know your Gypsy is finally getting into shape that you would want.

Quote:
..... Can you guys tell me if the prices below are the full MRP or only a small percent:

1. Right rear lamp assembly 254.00
2. Rear Brake Drum: 838.72
3. Rear Axle Shaft RH 725.16
Don't know about others but the rear axle shaft for 720 seems VERY cheap. I may be wrong but this doesn't seem to be the MRP of that particular part.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote